Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-30-2008, 05:16 PM   #16
GypsyWoman
Groupie
GypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony E Reader PRS-505/iTouch/Blackberry Curve-Pink
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
My opinion... don't worry about it. So what if you have to charge it every 7 days instead of every 10. My feeling about battery life for both my Sony and Kindle... it more than good enough... I charge them when they get low. Both can be read while charging if absolutley necessary. As a matter of fact, you can't even turn of the 500 without some funky gyrations.

BOb
Makes sense. I agree.

Thanks!
GypsyWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:01 PM   #17
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I don't think I have "charged" my Reader (an 18+ month old Sony 500) in over a year. It picks up enough charge through the USB port when I am loading/deleting books. Once connected to the USB I generally leave it until I either want to read something or I am finished working on the computer.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:25 PM   #18
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
I don't think I have "charged" my Reader (an 18+ month old Sony 500) in over a year. It picks up enough charge through the USB port when I am loading/deleting books. Once connected to the USB I generally leave it until I either want to read something or I am finished working on the computer.
Ok, not to split hairs here, but when you connect your reader to a USB port, you are charging it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 12:14 AM   #19
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
off topic test

i just got my kindle. i am sending tkis message using it. it sure will not replace a laptop but pretty cool !
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 12:19 AM   #20
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
OK, enough of my test Kindle message. Sorry for the interruption.

It is back to the laptop for posting for me. But it is interesting how much you can do with the Kindle.

But the ergonomics? Ughhh. Maybe I will get used to it.

Don't know about battery life comparisons yet. But I have never had a problem with battery life with my Sony Reader.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 12:27 AM   #21
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
A week on a charge is great I think
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 12:27 AM   #22
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Ok, not to split hairs here, but when you connect your reader to a USB port, you are charging it.

BOb
The point I was making was that I have not needed to "recharge" the Sony as a single event. The periods of loading and unloading books to the Reader were enough to keep it charged for over a year. I have no thoughts that one charge would last a year (although that would be wonderful, I doubt that I could life the associated battery. )
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 11:05 AM   #23
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Usally charge time does not matter. I typically connect my Sony to add/remove books so I am always charing. I think you will feel the effect of having to charge the Kindle more because it does not require a PC.

However there have been a few times where I have been VERY glad the PRS-505 has a long battery life. Once on a week long business trip the other on a vacation. Since I did not have easy access to a PC on either trip I when a week using my device w/o a charge. Both times I took the sony down to 1 bar. It was nice not having to stress about having to find a place to charge my device.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 11:18 AM   #24
GypsyWoman
Groupie
GypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
However there have been a few times where I have been VERY glad the PRS-505 has a long battery life. Once on a week long business trip the other on a vacation. Since I did not have easy access to a PC on either trip I when a week using my device w/o a charge. Both times I took the sony down to 1 bar. It was nice not having to stress about having to find a place to charge my device.

=X=
This is what I was wondering, if I should take a charger on a week long trip. I did get a charger but have not opened it. I guess it is inexpensive enough I could keep it. BUt whether or not I should pack it is my question.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:20 AM   #25
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyWoman View Post
This is what I was wondering, if I should take a charger on a week long trip. I did get a charger but have not opened it. I guess it is inexpensive enough I could keep it. BUt whether or not I should pack it is my question.
Do you take a PC with you, or have one available when you travel? If so, you could just connect to it's USB port for a few hours and you will be good to go again. Nice thing about the 505 is you can charge from USB when it is totally dead. The 500 woudn't do that.

BOb

EDIt: One nice thing for me is that my Cell phone, Palm Zire and Sony 500 will all charge from the same charger... so I only need one for all three devices.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 11:28 AM   #26
GypsyWoman
Groupie

Quote:
Do you take a PC with you, or have one available when you travel? If so, you could just connect to it's USB port for a few hours and you will be good to go again. Nice thing about the 505 is you can charge from USB when it is totally dead. The 500 woudn't do that.

BOb

EDIt: One nice thing for me is that my Cell phone, Palm Zire and Sony 500 will all charge from the same charger... so I only need one for all three devices.
Gee whiz Bob, you are one fast poster here. I always get such helpful information from you.

I do have a PC we when travel. My DH always takes his but my software is on my laptop and not his. I guess the software isn't an issue is it, DUH! SO then the answer would be yes, I do have a PC with me.

My cell phone and PDA are different.

Thanks again!!
Old 05-31-2008, 01:41 PM   #27
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
On both trips I read a lot that is why they went down to one bar. I didn't take a charger on either trip.

However since you have access to a PC I would recommend taking a miniUSB hub for safe measure. If you lose the miniUSB cable the replacement is only $5-$10 and readily available in most stores. If you lose the charger you'll have to special order from SONY again.
Honestly I don't think you will be needing to charge your reader on your trip, I didn't. Of course if you use the mp3 player that is a different story.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 02:04 PM   #28
GypsyWoman
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
On both trips I read a lot that is why they went down to one bar. I didn't take a charger on either trip.

However since you have access to a PC I would recommend taking a miniUSB hub for safe measure. If you lose the miniUSB cable the replacement is only $5-$10 and readily available in most stores. If you lose the charger you'll have to special order from SONY again.
Honestly I don't think you will be needing to charge your reader on your trip, I didn't. Of course if you use the mp3 player that is a different story.

=X=
Thanks for the advice.

I wouldn't want to lose anything on my trips. I cruise 3-4 times a year, for 1-2 weeks at a time. When I am on a ship or in some remote island I ain't gettin' nothin' replaced until I get home.

I will probably take along the charger just in case. I use an Ipod for my music but now I have the Sony that may change.

Oh these big decisions we have to make, life is tough sometimes, isn't it?
Old 05-31-2008, 02:23 PM   #29
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
and don't spill any umbrella drinks on your reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyWoman View Post
Thanks for the advice.

I wouldn't want to lose anything on my trips. I cruise 3-4 times a year, for 1-2 weeks at a time. When I am on a ship or in some remote island I ain't gettin' nothin' replaced until I get home.

I will probably take along the charger just in case. I use an Ipod for my music but now I have the Sony that may change.

Oh these big decisions we have to make, life is tough sometimes, isn't it?
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 02:32 PM   #30
GypsyWoman
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
and don't spill any umbrella drinks on your reader
LOL!! How did you know I like my drinks with an umbrella?

( I could see that happening after a few afternoon foo foo drinks)