andavane
Zealot
andavane began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, + Wifi, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini, Sony PRS-T2
Word Lookup Ceased ~ Amazon Out of Office

Hello Members,
Here's what I wrote to Kindle Feedback:

"Sir,
I have found that when reading a book, the dictionary function appears not to be working. Beforehand, I could leave the cursor resting before a word, and the definition would appear in front of me. Not now. If I want a definition now, I have to exit the book, navigate to the dictionary, look up the word, then return to the book. It is very annoying.

Yours sincerely
"

and received this reply:

"Hello,

I am currently out of the office from Wednesday September 15th until Monday October 11th inclusive with no access to email. I will contact you upon my return.

Regards,

Elaine
"

...and I feel there has to be a quicker way of solving the problem before Elaine gets back to the office
andavane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:51 AM   #2
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
Have you tried rebooting the kindle?

Anyway, now we know Elaine is the expert on the kindle dictionary functionality in amazon
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:55 AM   #3
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
If the word isn't in the dictionary, it won't show up.......?

I would try resetting the Kindle, I've never heard of that problem before.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:57 AM   #4
andavane
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovare View Post
Have you tried rebooting the kindle?

Anyway, now we know Elaine is the expert on the kindle dictionary functionality in amazon
Indeed, but no no avail.

I guess Elaine's workload was so light she decided to take a long break, in the belief that nothing would go amiss in her absence. Elaine, come back!
Old 09-19-2010, 10:06 AM   #5
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Huh. Weird. Did you email the general Kindle feedback email address?

Have you tried setting your primary dictionary again? Menu->Settings->Menu->Change Primary Dictionary
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:09 AM   #6
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
Huh. Weird. Did you email the general Kindle feedback email address?

Have you tried setting your primary dictionary again? Menu->Settings->Menu->Change Primary Dictionary
Exactly what I was trying to say before my crappy iPhone crashed! I noticed on mine that I have two American dictionaries which is weird so will have to delete one.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:47 AM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by andavane View Post
[/color]"

...and I feel there has to be a quicker way of solving the problem before Elaine gets back to the office
Have you tried the "call me" feature? They call back within minutes.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:54 AM   #8
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I've noticed it can be a little finicky, not sure why. Looking at last three lines of the page I'm on right now, the dictionary looks up "many." I go up one line to "about," no lookup, go up another line to "volume," and it looks that up. So why many and volume but not about? I've no idea.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:48 PM   #9
andavane
Zealot

I've changed the dictionary twice, reset, gone menu/settings/menu → Restart ( and it did a good deep flashy long one), but no joy. At one point (when the dictionary wouldn't even open on its own) the Kindle suggest I delete the dictionary then download it again, but I don't want to delete it then find I can't get it back again.
Trying "call me" tomorrow.

Last edited by andavane; 09-19-2010 at 01:50 PM. Reason: omission
Old 09-19-2010, 01:55 PM   #10
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
You are aware that the definition can appear both at the top and bottom of the page?
If the word you are looking for is at the bottom of the page, the definition will appear on the top, and vice verse.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #11
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

You tried restarting it? Slide and hold power switch for 20 secs.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:52 PM   #12
ricsmania
Connoisseur
ricsmania began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi
Did you try updating to 3.0.2? They fixed a lot of bugs.
ricsmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:18 PM   #13
andavane
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
You are aware that the definition can appear both at the top and bottom of the page?
If the word you are looking for is at the bottom of the page, the definition will appear on the top, and vice verse.
I get writing which says: "Begin typing to create a note, or click to start a highlight".

To the other lady: A slidey-hold restart made no difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricsmania View Post
Did you try updating to 3.0.2? They fixed a lot of bugs.
Not yet.

The only other thing I can think of is, I've tweeted a lot of extracts today; I asked my carer to give top-up charge when he gave me my bath, but he forgot, so it might need a good charge. Is overnight safe, as it wouldn't take that long.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:54 PM   #14
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
I get writing which says: "Begin typing to create a note, or click to start a highlight".
On top of that you should have the definition, assuming it is a word that is defined in the dictionary.

Have you tried setting the default dictionary from your Menu?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:45 PM   #15
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
To the other lady: A slidey-hold restart made no difference.
I'm male but it was worth a shot. A lot of the temporary Kindle issues are fixed by doing a clean start.

Tags
kindle dictionary, non-function