Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-20-2013, 09:06 AM   #61
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Keep the Aspidistra Flying - George Orwell
The Outsider - Albert Camus
The Illuminatus Trilogy - Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - Robert Pirsig
Catch-22 - Joseph Heller
Unreliable Memoirs - Clive James
Consciousness Explained - Daniel C Dennett

Those are all books that seemed important to me at the time, but which probably didn't have a lasting real effect.

The books which made me love reading are probably more significant, but I can't really remember what those were.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:00 PM   #62
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Zen in the Art of Archery by Eugen Herrigel. I have read that one many times.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2013, 12:42 AM   #63
BadBilly
Nodding at stupid things
BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, OnePlus 6, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, iPad Mini 2, PC
I have loved books since before I could read. I'm sure I've taken a lot away from a lot of them. Only one, however, can I think of, really affected how I try to live my life. I have no idea who wrote it. It was a rather forgettable science fiction book published in...the early '80s, I think. I believe it was called Mustang (in reference to the automobile). There was just one short snippet of it that I remember. Two characters were talking and one of them said something like: Everything you do affects the people around you. You have to take responsibility for that.

For some reason, this really seemed to resonate with my 17-year-old self. it's a principle I try to keep in mind. Could be worse. I could have picked up Atlas Shrugged.
BadBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:30 PM   #64
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
For me, it was "Vimy" by Pierre Berton . . .
Just read it on basis of your mention here. Excellent.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:32 AM   #65
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
There was a book I read as a kid, that was set in San Francisco before, during and after the Great Earthquake of 1906 that sparked my interest in history, which resulted in me pursuing that course of study. Unfortunately, I no longer remember the name of the book.

The strongest non-familial influence that shaped me as a person though, wasn't a book. It was a TV show - Star Trek (Original Series). Looking back, I can see how strongly I absorbed the philosophies of that show.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2013, 03:03 AM   #66
barutanseijin
Nxfgrrjks
barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: aura hd
Pierre Bourdieu, la Distinction: Critique sociale du jugement (Distinction: A Social Critique of the Judgement of Taste), 1979.

There are others that i've absorbed, probably unconciously, but as far as books that i am aware of having had an effect on me, nothing else comes close. One cannot judge & distinguish in the same way after reading this book. (and that's probably true even for those who disagree with it.)
barutanseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:23 PM   #67
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
I clearly remember the first "real" book I read. I was about eight years old (I think), and had been fascinated by books all my life. I clearly remember my parents reading to me, but the first books I read on my own were my mothers "Nancy Drew"-books whan I was around 7 years old. The first "grown-up"-book I read was "Five Little Pigs" by Agatha Christie. At the time I was very proud about reading a "real" book and not only childrens books. After the jaw-dropping experience Five Little Pigs gave me, I've always had a fascination for the classical mystery genre which is still my favourite genre.
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote