Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 05-17-2015, 12:48 PM   #1231
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Yes, the Audible app will work with books in your iTune library. But it will NOT sync them. You need to download them _directly_ to Audible from Audible. Not by way of iTunes.

FWIW, I download immediately from Audible to my desktop and put in iTunes and the Audible Manager. And when I have a few built up, I strip them of DRM and store on the server as M4b books.

But to enable cross-device syncing, I always download from the Audible App on my iPhone and Fire directly. That's the requirement for syncing to work. And it does work just fine. But not when iTunes is in the way.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:00 PM   #1232
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I decided it was time for a classic, so I'm listening to Nadia May's narration of Oliver Twist. She's wonderful as usual.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:10 AM   #1233
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, listening to Wanda McCaddon (aka, Nadia May) is always a pleasure. I suspect I could listen to her read the a phone directory and enjoy it.

One of the things I find amazing is that she basically does "sight reading". Doesn't read a book before she starts narrating. She does get a list of special words to know how they should be pronounced, in books where that's an issue.

Last edited by CRussel; 05-20-2015 at 05:13 PM. Reason: corrected spelling
Old 05-20-2015, 02:51 PM   #1234
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Yes, listening to Wanda McCadden (aka, Nadia May) is always a pleasure. I suspect I could listen to her read the a phone directory and enjoy it.

One of the things I find amazing is that she basically does "sight reading". Doesn't read a book before she starts narrating. She does get a list of special words to know how they should be pronounced, in books where that's an issue.
Thanks for mentioning Wanda McCaddon; I knew the alter egos Nadia May and Donada Peters, but was trying to remember the third one without looking it up.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:13 PM   #1235
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Thanks for mentioning Wanda McCaddon; I knew the alter egos Nadia May and Donada Peters, but was trying to remember the third one without looking it up.
Yup, that's her actual real name. Most of her narrations, however, have been done under Donada Peters (where I first found her) or Nadia May. So to me, she's always Donada Peters.

She and David Case (another favourite reader) were business partners for many years. Until David died of throat cancer. Like Wanda/Nadia/Donada, he recorded under several different names, including Frederick Davidson
Old 05-20-2015, 07:12 PM   #1236
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

I haven't yet listened to anything narrated by David Case/Frederick Davidson--I did get his Les Miz earlier, and it was in contention the other day when I decided to read a classic, but I shied away from its almost 60-hour length. But maybe once I'm done with Oliver, if I don't get seduced by another thriller ...
Old 05-20-2015, 08:12 PM   #1237
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Well, if you want something adventurous, there's always his Sharpe series. He did almost all of the Sharpe books, except for 2 or 3 that Patrick Tull did. Or, on a lighter note, he's done virtually all the P.G. Wodehouse books, and also all the Rumpole of the Bailey books. But sadly, no more.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:09 PM   #1238
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Well, if you want something adventurous, there's always his Sharpe series. He did almost all of the Sharpe books, except for 2 or 3 that Patrick Tull did. Or, on a lighter note, he's done virtually all the P.G. Wodehouse books, and also all the Rumpole of the Bailey books. But sadly, no more.
I recently listened to one of Davidson's Wodehouse books and he's perfect for him. I followed it up with a Simon Vance Wodehouse and much as I love Simon Vance, Davidson is better at Wodehouse.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:07 AM   #1239
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2

It's listed in thrillers and mysteries but so far it's sci-fi, first contact story. Great narrators.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:59 PM   #1240
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Almost done with

Hammered: The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book 3

If you haven't listened to this series you should get on it. It's loads of fun.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 04:23 PM   #1241
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

I'm still listening to Dickens. After Oliver Twist (Nadia May), I listened to Great Expectations (Simon Prebble), and now I'm on to A Tale of Two Cities (Simon Vance). Don't know how much longer I'll stick with Dickens, though.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:23 AM   #1242
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
Almost done with

Hammered: The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book 3

If you haven't listened to this series you should get on it. It's loads of fun.
I should go back to that I've only done the first 2

Recently finished The Panther (John Corey, #6) by Nelson DeMille boy was that a chore to get through very disappointing.

Then on to something much much better Broken Homes (Peter Grant, #4) by Ben Aaronovitch WOW I'm just a few minutes away from the end and this morning on the way to work
Spoiler:
I got to he bit with Lesley OMG I did not see that coming, my mouth dropped open and wouldn't close I was seriously driving along with my mouth open like a goldfish. I'm in shock and sad I did not realise how much I had invested in these characters

Can't wait to finish off the last few minutes and start the next one.
I love t: this series
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:06 AM   #1243
pegasi&prefects
Eleanor Beresford
pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
The Inimitable Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse. It was the first Wodehouse I ever read, long ago, and Frederic Davidson is IMO the perfect narrator. He really does sound like Bertie yarning over a cocktail.

Magic.
pegasi&prefects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:50 AM   #1244
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Just listened to the author foreword for Blaze by Richard Bachman (our very own Stephen King, of course). Now onto the main story...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 05:38 PM   #1245
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I'm still listening to Dickens. After Oliver Twist (Nadia May), I listened to Great Expectations (Simon Prebble), and now I'm on to A Tale of Two Cities (Simon Vance). Don't know how much longer I'll stick with Dickens, though.
So, any comments/thoughts on the three different readers? I know they're different books, so not a direct comparison, but still of interest.

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations