Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-23-2009, 10:08 AM   #1
geoffthomas
geoffthomas
geoffthomas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Health and the Kindle

I originally posted this over at KindleBoards and am repeating it here because I think the issue is worth thinking about:
I wanted to open this thread because I believe that this is an important subject.
In order to keep your attention, I will get to the point - Kindles are good for people with Asthma.
I don't have it and had no clue.
I was riding on the WashDC Metrorail commuting home last night and had a discussion with a family of tourists. Now I know that some of you are going to say that this sounds like it belongs on the thread about demo'ing our K2s to others. But it just starts there.
My seat mate was a young woman with her perhaps 7 year-old daughter on her lap (the train was crowded) and Dad and son were standing. They noticed the K2 and asked about it, so of course I was off to the races and told them about its many features and how much I liked it. The little girl said in a very happy voice something like "Oh how nice, it would be perfect for me". Well I felt the immediate need to explain that it was not a toy (I did NOT say that). But I did say that it was expensive - $350.00. And that it was really only justified for heavy readers.
Well, they explained that the little girl has Asthma. Like many children with it she limits her physical and outside activities, so she reads a lot. AND......wait for it.......when she opens a book she almost immediately starts to cough. Especially library books. Wow. You could have knocked me over with a feather. It never occured to me.
So here is a little girl for whom this device would not be too expensive at all. In fact when you think about it, it is cheap. And it has the chance to change/enhance her life.
Again I say WOW.
I just had to share this with you here at KB and to suggest that we might even get on a mission to make sure that people that have Asthma are told about this. I am going to look into demoing mine at any official gatherings of such people/families.
What are your experiences/thoughts??
geoffthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:13 AM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Wow, that's a humbling experience, huh? A little child like that, instantly grasping the possibilities.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2009, 10:20 AM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
yep, it's true and a really important point. i don't have asthma but i do have allergies (to acariens) and old dusty books are not good for me to have around.

and don't forget the obvious benefit to people with poor vision, who can enlarge the font size easily to read comfortably !

i agree dg, that little girl is really insightful to see that so quickly.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:31 AM   #4
beledi
beledi is on a distinguished road

Device: sony 505
I have asthma and I love books. I can hardly stand to go to the paperback book aisle in our local library. Newer books do not bother me too often. It is usualy the older paperback. I have some beautiful, old leather bound books that do not bother me. May be mold and smoke in some of the old paperbacks.
beledi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:34 AM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
beledi, i love your signature quote.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2009, 03:36 PM   #6
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
This was one of the major reasons I wanted an ebook reader. I don't have asthma, but like others who've posted, I have severe dust and mold allergies. I often cannot read old books without sneezing and having my eyes water like crazy. It's a good deal of work keeping the dust down on bookshelves crammed with books, too. I tend not to hang on to many possessions because more clutter means more dusting. Books, though the worst offender in this regard, have always been my exception to this rule. Now that I have a reader, I can lighten the load there.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:50 PM   #7
stoogeswoman
Zealot
stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: eBookwise 1150 and Kindle 1
Ever since I got my eBookwise, I've thought it would be fun to load one up with all the Beverly Cleary books and give it to a kid. Unfortunately, I don't know any kids right now, so I just had to get them all for myself. ;-)
stoogeswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:07 PM   #8
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
This is an interesting point. But it's not just the Kindle that benefits allergy sufferers.
All the electronic readers have that advantage.

But thanks for pointing it out, geoffthomas. This hadn't occurre to me.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 01:59 PM   #9
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
I can add my voice to the chorus. I had well over a thousand books in my paper library, but I couldn't reread them anymore. I went electronic because reading older books caused me to cough too much.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:17 AM   #10
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Hmm. I hadn't thought about that. But yes, an e-book reader would eliminate a lot of the allergens in old, musty books. Clever kid. :-)
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:57 AM   #11
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Reading a hardback or even a thick paperback while I'm walking every day on the treadmill would be a hassle for me, but holding my Kindle 2 makes it a breeze!
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:46 AM   #12
BinaryTB
Connoisseur
BinaryTB is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3
I probably couldn't do that, I'm way too anal, wouldn't want any sweat while on the treadmill hitting my Kindle.
BinaryTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:07 AM   #13
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I don't sweat *that* much. It's just brisk walking; if I were running the screen would probably bounce around too much anyway.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:28 AM   #14
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Reading a hardback or even a thick paperback while I'm walking every day on the treadmill would be a hassle for me, but holding my Kindle 2 makes it a breeze!
Yep. And for people with some conditions, just holding a book sitting still is hard. I got a Kindle for my sister because her fibromyalgia makes it hard to hold books some days. I would imagine it would be good for people with arthritis, too.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote