Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-17-2010, 06:02 PM   #1
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
NOW I can post my ebook directly to Apple iBookStore!

Yep. The iBook G4 that I won on eBay just arrived and I'm in the process of installing iTunes Producer even as I write this post. Should have Carl Bussjaeger's "Net Assets" up on the iBookStore within the day!

Yeah!

(Doin' my happy dance! Could be because I won the pooter for $29? Yep.)

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:13 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
iTunes Producer is a Universal App???
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2010, 06:18 PM   #3
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Did they change things? One of the requirements for direct publishing to the iBook store was:

* An Intel-based Mac running OS 10.5 or better (PC users are SOL)

Good news if older Macs work now.
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellaster View Post
Did they change things? One of the requirements for direct publishing to the iBook store was:

* An Intel-based Mac running OS 10.5 or better (PC users are SOL)

Good news if older Macs work now.
It's downloading it - but you may be right and IP may not work on my 10.4 iBook. Of course, I've got a 10.6 Snow Leopard disc here and I could try to do an install....

And if I have to, I can use the iBook to create a boot flashdrive to dual-boot my Core2Quad PC in OS X 10.6...

Derek
Old 06-18-2010, 07:26 PM   #5
delphidb96
Wizard

It appears that as long as I can update to OS-X 10.4.9 (Tiger) or higher, I can then install iTunes 9.2 and iTunes Producer. This even though I'm running a G3. However, I've only got 128MB of RAM on board so I just bought a 512MB memory expansion and I've bought a 40GB upgrade HD. (My copy of 10.4 install discs are already on their way.) *IF* the information from Apple is correct, I should have iTunes Producer up and running on my iBook by next week.

Derek
Advert
Old 06-19-2010, 04:11 AM   #6
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
I'm crossing my fingers for you, Derek. If it works it's great news for authors who may have an older Mac (or can get one cheap, like you). As the owner of a brand spanking new MacBook Pro, I fully appreciate the "ouch" of the price tag. (But it sure is sweet.)

Ted
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 04:36 AM   #7
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Virtualbox 3.2 + Empire EFI Boot CD + Apple 10.6 DVD = alternative solution?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1507946
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:03 PM   #8
delphidb96
Wizard

Got the 512MB RAM upgrade but the upgrade won't take. Without a full 512MB onboard, can't update from 10.3.9 to 10.4.x. Without 10.4.9 or 10.4.11 OS X, cannot upgrade iTunes to 9.2 or run iTunes Producer on the iBook G3. Sigh.

Gonna have to figure out a way to put OS X onto a USB thumb drive to operate on my Core2Quad PC. Sigh.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:45 PM   #9
Genaro Zamora
thriller tale
Genaro Zamora can extract oil from cheeseGenaro Zamora can extract oil from cheeseGenaro Zamora can extract oil from cheeseGenaro Zamora can extract oil from cheeseGenaro Zamora can extract oil from cheeseGenaro Zamora can extract oil from cheeseGenaro Zamora can extract oil from cheeseGenaro Zamora can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle app
hey thats cool.
Genaro Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:42 PM   #10
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
maybe try this?
http://lifehacker.com/5583650/run-ma...box-on-windows
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:44 PM   #11
delphidb96
Wizard

Y'know.....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
I *just* saw this and decided to download it! I was smart enough to buy a Snow Leopard upgrade disc a while back and now I just have to get it to install once I get my main hard drive cleaned up (Thank God I just bought a 1TB external drive!) and repartition it to give me an 80GB secondary partition.

At the rate all these gnarly image files are copying across, I probably won't be able to repart until Sunday. Sigh! Guess that'll learn me to NOT shoot so many RAW-mode 12MP images!

Derek
Old 07-12-2010, 06:59 PM   #12
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
I *just* saw this and decided to download it! I was smart enough to buy a Snow Leopard upgrade disc a while back and now I just have to get it to install once I get my main hard drive cleaned up (Thank God I just bought a 1TB external drive!) and repartition it to give me an 80GB secondary partition.

At the rate all these gnarly image files are copying across, I probably won't be able to repart until Sunday. Sigh! Guess that'll learn me to NOT shoot so many RAW-mode 12MP images!

Derek

AAAAaaaaannnddd... VirtualBox installs and runs just fine. Now the Hazard release of OS X 10.6.x ISO downloaded great - but when attempting to use it to install OS X via VirtualBox just doesn't work. VB recognizes the ISO and the OS X loader runs to the point where I get the dark-grey Apple on light-grey background with the 'I'm busy doing something graphic', but then it just runs and runs and runs and runs and runs and runs... I gave up on the *latest* attempt after it stalled at that point for two HOURS! Sigh.

I've got the retail 10.6 DVD and I'm thinking I'll see if it will dual-install on my Core2Quad system on the 1TB SATA HD I've got. I've got a 24GB bare partition to put it in... Sigh.

Derek
Old 07-12-2010, 07:09 PM   #13
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I get the feeling we will NOT be seeing Derek's story in a forthcoming PC vs. Mac commercial.

I'm trying to get Risen into the iBookstore, too (supposedly Smashwords will be doing that, but I'm still waiting for the B&N and Kobobooks entries) and the cost of admission is killer. I'm still not sure it's worth buying a separate ISBN for it, then I have to find a friend with a new-enough Mac, and I'm still not sure I'll be able to pass the formatting test--I hear horror stories about that.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:28 PM   #14
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
I get the feeling we will NOT be seeing Derek's story in a forthcoming PC vs. Mac commercial.

I'm trying to get Risen into the iBookstore, too (supposedly Smashwords will be doing that, but I'm still waiting for the B&N and Kobobooks entries) and the cost of admission is killer. I'm still not sure it's worth buying a separate ISBN for it, then I have to find a friend with a new-enough Mac, and I'm still not sure I'll be able to pass the formatting test--I hear horror stories about that.
It's not really that I can't put OS X onto the PC, just that when I first bought the refurbished unit, I went with a 1TB SATA main drive and dedicated *all* of it to my C: (main) and D: (restore) partitions. And I've been too cheap to buy a 1TB external drive in order to offload all the images, documents and other data... Now that I've done so, I have created a 24GB partition, but it's such a *major* step to put a second OS directly onto it's own partition that I've been putting it off.

Oh well... Guess I can't put it off any longer. (Well, *maybe*, if I buy an 80GB EIDE HD and install it I can make *that* my OS X drive! )

Derek