Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-14-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
Bltprf502
Enthusiast
Bltprf502 doesn't litterBltprf502 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300S (GONE), Samsung Galaxy Tab, Kindle 3
OK, I may be back pedaling here but...

Should I return my PRS-300 and buy a 505 on Ebay? I keep hearing all the things about their hack ability and expandable memory. What is the life span? I wonder if I buy a lightly used one that it will last me a while? Should I consider this? Help me out here... BTW, how do I get Karma points? Not sure I get it.

Thx!
Bltprf502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:38 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bltprf502 View Post
Should I return my PRS-300 and buy a 505 on Ebay? I keep hearing all the things about their hack ability and expandable memory. What is the life span? I wonder if I buy a lightly used one that it will last me a while? Should I consider this? Help me out here... BTW, how do I get Karma points? Not sure I get it.

Thx!
Mu question would be WHY are you considering this? The 505 doesn't really do anything the 300 doesn't.... even with the hacks.

Karma is something people give you when they appreciate a post you made... I gave you some.... since you asked.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2010, 12:55 AM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Keep the 300 and enjoy
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:06 AM   #4
addicted2books
EBookaholic
addicted2books doesn't litteraddicted2books doesn't litteraddicted2books doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Red)
I bought my gently used Sony PRS-505 from EBay last March and I couldn't be happier with it. I've had no problems with it and I enjoy it on a daily basis. On occasion I have been tempted by the new readers with touch screen or WiFi but I'll stick with what I have at this point.

I think if you're happy with your PRS-300, I would stick with it. The 505 is a great reader but there are all kinds of great readers out there that people enjoy their Ebooks on.
addicted2books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:34 AM   #5
Bltprf502
Enthusiast

Good info. Thanks for the logic. I always need help with that especially when it comes to my toys!
Advert
Old 04-15-2010, 02:37 AM   #6
Bltprf502
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Mu question would be WHY are you considering this? The 505 doesn't really do anything the 300 doesn't.... even with the hacks.

Karma is something people give you when they appreciate a post you made... I gave you some.... since you asked.

BOb
Maybe the expandable memory and the larger screen?? I guess I am speculating and looking at options. I am bad about reading too much into to something. I can just enjoy it... I gotta think it to death. Bad habit. Probably a sign of lacking something

Who knows?

An thank you for the Karma. I get it now.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:59 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Maybe the expandable memory and the larger screen?? I guess I am speculating and looking at options. I am bad about reading too much into to something. I can just enjoy it... I gotta think it to death. Bad habit. Probably a sign of lacking something
My mom is like that. She will read consumer reports, talk to people, do all kinds of research... Then almost everything she buys she has buyers remorse.

Although she is happy she bought the Apple stock when I recommended it. I think it was at $80 a share.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:22 AM   #8
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

Although she is happy she bought the Apple stock when I recommended it. I think it was at $80 a share.

BOb
Anyone who bought AAPL at $80 and still holds those shares need not be worried about buyer's remorse for any of their consumer purchases. She should be able to afford just about all the readers (including the toy ones) on the market. You are a shrewd son, Bob.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:15 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:

Thx!

Buy/keep both.

Use the 505 for reading at home.

Use the 300 to take with you when you want something just a little more compact.

Both are great.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:03 AM   #10
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post
Anyone who bought AAPL at $80 and still holds those shares need not be worried about buyer's remorse for any of their consumer purchases. She should be able to afford just about all the readers (including the toy ones) on the market. You are a shrewd son, Bob.
You might think that... but the absolute number of shares matters too. In my case, the Apple shares that I own have an average cost basis somewhere between $7 and $8 per share! Yaaaaaaay!!! Only problem is that the number of shares is small enough that it's not nearly so big a deal as you might otherwise think. That stock'll buy a decent number of nice dinners. Maybe even a reader (or two). But it's not the giant score it might seem. Sigh.

If only I'd had the confidence to invest a larger sum waaay back when.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote