Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-06-2010, 02:37 PM   #1
lvicini
lvicini can differentiate black from dark navy bluelvicini can differentiate black from dark navy bluelvicini can differentiate black from dark navy bluelvicini can differentiate black from dark navy bluelvicini can differentiate black from dark navy bluelvicini can differentiate black from dark navy bluelvicini can differentiate black from dark navy bluelvicini can differentiate black from dark navy bluelvicini can differentiate black from dark navy bluelvicini can differentiate black from dark navy bluelvicini can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Sony reader touch
ebook reader with large screen and good pdf support

Hello,

I am in the process of looking for my second ebook reader.
While I am quite satisfied with my Sony Reader prs600 for casual reading, I feel quite frustrated by the low screen resolution, when I am reading technical manuals (99% of the time in pdf format).

I have considered the Kindle DX and the Iliad dr800... but the lack of decent pdf support (zoom or if possible permanent zoom), defeats completely the usefulness of the device.

Is there anything out there that could do the trick for me (high screen resolution and good pdf support).

Cheers
Luca
lvicini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:55 PM   #2
OrcaBlue
Groupie
OrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
lvicini,

If light weight and long battery life is not important, I think the Entourage Edge has the best PDF support. It's has a 9.7" e-ink screen. There have been good reviews on its handling of PDF. From one of the thread, someone mentioned that it as good as handling PDF on a pc.
OrcaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2010, 05:54 PM   #3
lvicini
lvicini can differentiate black from dark navy bluelvicini can differentiate black from dark navy bluelvicini can differentiate black from dark navy bluelvicini can differentiate black from dark navy bluelvicini can differentiate black from dark navy bluelvicini can differentiate black from dark navy bluelvicini can differentiate black from dark navy bluelvicini can differentiate black from dark navy bluelvicini can differentiate black from dark navy bluelvicini can differentiate black from dark navy bluelvicini can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Sony reader touch
Hi OrcaBlue,

it sure looks like an interesting product (an attempt to differentiate the product, even in a bit desperate way). Nevertheless I am mostly interested in the reader half. For the other, I carry a laptop that fits most of my needs.

It's really quite frustrating to see many companies throwing to the market dozens of "me too" products... without having the slightest idea of what the potential clients want or need. It would be so easy to get a product manager to read these forums and get the pulse of what features are needed.

The best example is the Kindle DX... they add the capability to read pdfs, but they defeat the attempt by "forgetting" to add a zoom function.

Sorry for the rant
Thanks
Luca
lvicini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:32 AM   #4
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Irex DR800 does not have zoom yet but will soon in the April update.

Otherwise we are still really at least amonth or more away from any 9.7 inch readers with GOOD pdf support. The first might be DittoBook d9 but that depends when Asus 9inch unit is ready
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:47 AM   #5
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
I have the same requirements for PDF as the original poster. I am the proud owner of an Entourage eDGe. PDF support is excellent. It is great for scientific and technical PDFs. It has successfully displayed every single technical PDF I have thrown at it. It also supports zooming with the PDF, a must-have for technical manuals. The only problem I have with the eDGe is its lack of portability for a quick "grab and go" e-reader. Other than this minor disadvantage, the eDGe offers the best PDF reading experience I have seen from any device so far. The eDGe is the closest it gets to reading PDFs on a PC. In fact, for most PDFs I have tried the eDGe has displayed them as well as a PC PDF reader has.

I will be shopping for another large screen e-reader in the next couple of months when the new e-readers come out from several vendors. I will find the one with the best PDF support and buy it. I need something lighter than the eDGe for quick grab and go.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert