Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-19-2009, 05:36 AM   #1
enjayes
enjayes doesn't litterenjayes doesn't litter

Device: none
e-reader for reading files, pdf and stuff

Hi guys thanks for the welcome. This is my first post - so apologies if I ask something previously discussed or OT, and for the length of the post.
My usual needs are 1. Read papers (usually academic in pdf format) downloaded from the net.
2. Read outputs from programs, instead of printing them.
3. Compare two outputs, text/doc files.
4. Annotate / make margin notes.

Currently I do this on the desktop, but reading off the screen is too strenuous, not so much because of the quality/feel of the type on the screen, but very much because of the orientation. I would like to read looking down, rather than looking straight ahead. A laptop is no good because they don't incline enough - ideally I would like the display almost flat on the table.

I have heard of tablets. Is that the (only?) solution? Anything else I can buy?

Thanks
Jason
enjayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:18 AM   #2
schmolch
Connoisseur
schmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it is

Device: Kindle
Why dont you cut a hole into your desk and put your monitor there?
I did that with both of my Tablet-PCs once and it was flat with the table.
However, it was not comfortable for me after a while.

Last edited by schmolch; 09-19-2009 at 09:49 AM.
schmolch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2009, 09:37 AM   #3
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjayes View Post
Hi guys thanks for the welcome. This is my first post - so apologies if I ask something previously discussed or OT, and for the length of the post.
My usual needs are 1. Read papers (usually academic in pdf format) downloaded from the net.
2. Read outputs from programs, instead of printing them.
3. Compare two outputs, text/doc files.
4. Annotate / make margin notes.

Currently I do this on the desktop, but reading off the screen is too strenuous, not so much because of the quality/feel of the type on the screen, but very much because of the orientation. I would like to read looking down, rather than looking straight ahead. A laptop is no good because they don't incline enough - ideally I would like the display almost flat on the table.
Which have you looked at? The two I have at hand here, a Fujistu Lifebook and an HP Compaq ns6000 unfold flat, so I can do exactly what you want. I strongly suspect they are not exceptions to any rule.

Quote:
I have heard of tablets. Is that the (only?) solution? Anything else I can buy?

Thanks
Jason
See above. There are ebook readers that will display PDFs, but none I'm aware of are good solutions for displaying program console output or context diffs.

You want a laptop, netbook, or tablet.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote