Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
UKPFC
UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Mini
I pad mini can't cope

So my ipad mini can't seem to cope with all the ebooks I have on it (epub) approx 3k ebooks. I just get the spinning beach ball of death after uploading them. Tried doing it through itunes and straight from Calibre. very frustrating. anyone have any ideas?
UKPFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

I see your new to the forum, so welcome. This is an often discussed topic around here. Why would you want 3000 ebooks on a device? If you read 100 ebooks a year it would take you 30 years to read all of them. I guarantee the iPad Mini won't last 30 years! I suggest you be reasonable with the number of ebooks. No reader app will work well with that many ebooks to index and handle. BTW, which reader app(s) are you trying to load all those ebooks into?
Advert
Old 09-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #3
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKPFC View Post
So my ipad mini can't seem to cope with all the ebooks I have on it (epub) approx 3k ebooks. I just get the spinning beach ball of death after uploading them. Tried doing it through itunes and straight from Calibre. very frustrating. anyone have any ideas?
Try Marvin, it handles large libraries nicely and has better calibre support.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #4
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
I use Filebrowser, and transfer my epubs over by a network connection over wifi.

It took me a bit to learn how to make the connection, but the transfer is fairly quick. I have about 13,000 files in there, and it's fine as long as you have the space.

Then inside Filebrowser find the file you want, click on the button on the left and it'll ask you what program you want to open it in. I chose Marvin and just load the one book I'm reading into it. I use Calibre and "Save to Disk" to sort mine in files based on my Collections.

Once set up, it's very easy to use, and if you've got the space, might as well put what you want on it! I LOVE being able to carry all my books around with me. Doubles as a backup.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:07 PM   #5
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Try iFunBox for file transfers. The iPad, regular or mini, as well as the iPhone or iPod touch, can handle any number of ebooks or other files. Though as others have said, I would not wish to carry them all around on my iPhone. I keep my e-books in SugarSync (which mirrors my Calibre library), loading books into Marvin on demand.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
the iPad mini is hardware. What software are you having trouble with? There are lots of choices, perhaps you can find a better one.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:45 AM   #7
UKPFC
UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks

Some great suggestions, thank you. So yes I want all 3k book on the iPad mini even if it takes me 100 years to read them. The way I see its specs and price it easily should be able to display tons of files. So I'd say the issue is with the iBooks app. I'll test out the other options and thank you again for your imput!!
Old 09-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #8
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
So I'd say the issue is with the iBooks app.
Without a doubt. Don't even pause at anything else, get Marvin. Its free, and its streets ahead of iBooks.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:58 PM   #9
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
It has always seemed difficult for owners of Apple hardware to realize that Apple software and especially Apple iTunes Store, policies, etc. are not very good.

Almost like sacrilege.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:04 AM   #10
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
It has always seemed difficult for owners of Apple hardware to realize that Apple software and especially Apple iTunes Store, policies, etc. are not very good.

Almost like sacrilege.
Agreed.
"Feet of clay!"
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:05 PM   #11
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:

Almost like sacrilege.
Would you please keep your ill-informed and content-free anti-Apple postings out of the Apple forum? You post enough Apple articles in "News" and "Discussions"; I don't see why you have to come here and try to stir up trouble.

Given that you don't own an Apple device and seem to have little understanding of them, I really don't understand know why you have *so many* postings about Apple in the first place. But please take them somewhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsooth View Post
Agreed.
"Feet of clay!"
You're not helping.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #12
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
I just get the spinning beach ball of death after uploading them.
sorry for going off topic. you actually saw the spinning beach ball on ios. i thought this was an os x only graphic?
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:33 AM   #13
Coops
Zealot
Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Sony T3 backup
Quote:

Almost like sacrilege.

Safari web browser on ipad... not as awful as IE on Windows, but still... mediocre.

Use Marvin. Very good.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:51 AM   #14
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Safari web browser on ipad... not as awful as IE on Windows, but still... mediocre.
And a lot uglier in iOS 7 than in previous iOS versions... those hair-thin line buttons -- ridiculous design... and no full-screen mode on iPad. The frontrunner in The Dumbest & Ugliest App of the Year contest.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:27 AM   #15
UKPFC

Ok, so my solution was to use Dropbox. Put a copy of ebooks in Dropbox then run the app on the iPad mini. Then I find the book I want and it will open in whatever reader I want. It's wort noting that Marvin will only take 1k ebooks.