Kindle for iOS has been updated

Kindle for iOS has been updated with a few features:
  • Multiple color options for highlights
  • Light level is saved between sessions now
  • End of book options added
Old 02-15-2013, 11:15 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Margins are still stupid on an iPhone.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2013, 11:20 AM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Margins are still stupid on an iPhone.
Probably always will be... This seems to be one of those things Amazon refuses to change. I've no clue why they are so stubborn on this issue.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Probably always will be... This seems to be one of those things Amazon refuses to change. I've no clue why they are so stubborn on this issue.
I know lots of people keep requesting smaller/no margins and Amazon keeps refusing. This is one of the reasons I won't have a Kindle. I just don't like all that wasted screen space.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
But so many reading apps have this issue. It is as if they are just copying each other.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Are they being stubborn? Do the devs of the app even know it's an issue (as in lots of people complaining to the right place)? I don't know the answer, just throwing it out there.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:54 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
But so many reading apps have this issue. It is as if they are just copying each other.
iBooks is also using stupid margins. Bluefire is pretty good.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:06 AM   #8
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
I find all three unusable (Kindle, iBooks, Bluefire).
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:28 PM   #9
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Seriously guys, what do you want in margins? Jammed up against the edge of the page? Tomes and i2Reader can do that. I hate it. In Stanza, I set my margins to around the same size as those which are native to Kindle...

I don't find the 15 or so pixels Kindle uses for margins on the iPhone a drain or a drag. Its not stupid. In relation to the size of the screen it makes perfect sense to me. Top and Bottom could lose a bit but its not the end of the earth, and is still perfectly serviceable. The iBooks margins are much bigger than Kindle's, but still not as big as they used to be, and I can read in iBooks now, where I was unable to, before.

So again, I ask... how small do you want your margins to be? Or is it just that you don't like not being able to set it yourselves?
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:05 PM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Seriously guys, what do you want in margins? Jammed up against the edge of the page? Tomes and i2Reader can do that. I hate it. In Stanza, I set my margins to around the same size as those which are native to Kindle...

I don't find the 15 or so pixels Kindle uses for margins on the iPhone a drain or a drag. Its not stupid. In relation to the size of the screen it makes perfect sense to me. Top and Bottom could lose a bit but its not the end of the earth, and is still perfectly serviceable. The iBooks margins are much bigger than Kindle's, but still not as big as they used to be, and I can read in iBooks now, where I was unable to, before.

So again, I ask... how small do you want your margins to be? Or is it just that you don't like not being able to set it yourselves?
Five or fewer pixels would suit me fine. As long as I can see a tiny sliver of white between the letter and the edge of the screen. Reason: I want as many words per line as is possible so the word spacing will look a bit more normal. I'm sorry if you cannot understand this concept. Perhaps you've spent too much time in the litter box sniffing pooh.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:25 PM   #11
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Thumbs down

The margins are unacceptable the way they are in those apps.

But equally annoying is, indeed, the arrogance of the assumption that "one size fits all". "We're gonna set your margins for ya, folks, and you can just put up and shut up. Take it or leave it. We don't give a damn about what you find pleasant or useful while reading books. We're here to sell you books, not to make the reading of those books pleasant or useful for you. That's of secondary importance to us -- in fact, we couldn't care less about that, and we're only going through the motions of caring about it, because that's what our PR strategy demands."

This contempt for the user, for the reader's needs and preferences, permeates both iBooks and the Kindle app. It's not just about page margins -- the same neglect is there for pretty much every feature you might expect out of an e-reader in 2013. Which is why iBooks and the Kindle app are such lame, bad-quality e-readers, and unusable for me.

Last edited by Faterson; 02-16-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #12
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Five or fewer pixels would suit me fine. As long as I can see a tiny sliver of white between the letter and the edge of the screen. Reason: I want as many words per line as is possible so the word spacing will look a bit more normal..
You could have stopped right there. The rest was flat out rude.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote