Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
lisabobisa
lisabobisa began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Get Books not working

Hi, I'm brand new to Calibre so I apologize if I'm missing something obvious, which I assume I am. I've been trying to search for books to download with the "Get Books" button but no matter what I try searching it never finds anything. Originally I thought there just weren't any digital versions of what I was searching for but then I tried searching something I knew Amazon had but was hoping to find a better price (various Amy Tan books) and it still found nothing. So I even tried searching the book it showed in the welcome video and it didn't find anything. I tried using the title/author tab in the advanced search box but still found nothing.

I also noticed that when I tried downloading metadata or finding a cover for a book I had in my library it couldn't find anything, but it's a PDF and I read that Calibre has trouble with PDFs so I chalked it up to that.

Oh and I tried rebooting in debug mode because I saw someone say that helped them, but it didn't change anything for me.

I've been searching all over the Calibre help page and this forum trying to find an answer with no success so I hope you guys can help me out because it's getting really frustrating. Thanks so much!

-Lisa
lisabobisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabobisa View Post
Hi, I'm brand new to Calibre so I apologize if I'm missing something obvious, which I assume I am. I've been trying to search for books to download with the "Get Books" button but no matter what I try searching it never finds anything. Originally I thought there just weren't any digital versions of what I was searching for but then I tried searching something I knew Amazon had but was hoping to find a better price (various Amy Tan books) and it still found nothing. So I even tried searching the book it showed in the welcome video and it didn't find anything. I tried using the title/author tab in the advanced search box but still found nothing.

I also noticed that when I tried downloading metadata or finding a cover for a book I had in my library it couldn't find anything, but it's a PDF and I read that Calibre has trouble with PDFs so I chalked it up to that.

Oh and I tried rebooting in debug mode because I saw someone say that helped them, but it didn't change anything for me.

I've been searching all over the Calibre help page and this forum trying to find an answer with no success so I hope you guys can help me out because it's getting really frustrating. Thanks so much!

-Lisa
Your firewall is probably blocking Calibre.exe
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
lisabobisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Your firewall is probably blocking Calibre.exe
That makes sense but when I tried allowing Calibre and then just turning the firewall off altogether to test it it still didn't work.

That did remind me though that I have had trouble with another program working right with the firewall on my laptop. I tried installing Calibre on my PC and the search feature is working. I don't know what the deal is with my laptop but oh well, I'll just run it on my PC. You don't know how excited I was to see search results show up!

Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That makes sense but when I tried allowing Calibre and then just turning the firewall off altogether to test it it still didn't work.

That did remind me though that I have had trouble with another program working right with the firewall on my laptop. I tried installing Calibre on my PC and the search feature is working. I don't know what the deal is with my laptop but oh well, I'll just run it on my PC. You don't know how excited I was to see search results show up!

Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it.
W7 has the concept of Trusted Network vs Public (un trusted).
You might need to change your location (setting)
Old 01-07-2012, 11:28 PM   #5
lisabobisa

Quote:
W7 has the concept of Trusted Network vs Public (un trusted).
You might need to change your location (setting)
Yeah I do have W7 and that firewall has given me trouble. I think I have it set to home, not public. Do you just turn the public setting off? I did try turning it all off and it still didn't work.

I'll have to do some more research into W7's firewall. I tend to just give up and use the PC (which has XP) for anything that doesn't work on the laptop.
Advert
Old 01-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Yeah I do have W7 and that firewall has given me trouble. I think I have it set to home, not public. Do you just turn the public setting off? I did try turning it all off and it still didn't work.

I'll have to do some more research into W7's firewall. I tend to just give up and use the PC (which has XP) for anything that doesn't work on the laptop.
My Laptop has W7. It has been on exactly 2 mixed O/S networks (both trusted).
I am far from being a good source of W7 help.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #7
lisabobisa

Quote:
My Laptop has W7. It has been on exactly 2 mixed O/S networks (both trusted).
I am far from being a good source of W7 help.
Ha well thank you for the tips, I'll look into it more.