Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 09-03-2013, 11:38 PM   #526
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohinoor91 View Post
I wanna congratulate you for the great job, willus. I have a problem and I hope you can help out.
I edited 2 small PDF files with grafics, texture, tables and so on and it's perfect. However, when I try to edit larger PDF files 150-500MB, it starts well, and about 40 or 45, sometimes 50 page, it says "ERROR reading page "Number" from directory/// Trying Ghostscript, then it says "ERROr reading next page" and so on, and then the program crashes. There is nothing special on the pages the program stops, they are like every other normally edited page. The 2 files I edited have also complicated tables, grafics, drawings but the program did great job and they are perfectly good for reading on 6" device. I have PB622touch, I don't think it will matter, but still. Thanks in advance!
Edit: I use all the default settings on the program every time, doesn't matter if it failed or succeeded.
@Kohinoor91--Can you post one or both of the files? Send me a private message if you'd rather send them to me privately.
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #527
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
...when I try to edit larger PDF files 150-500MB, it starts well, and about 40 or 45, sometimes 50 page, it says "ERROR reading page "Number" from directory...
There is a memory leak in k2pdfopt v2.00 and this is causing your problem (on large files it eventually runs out of memory). I am working on the fix...
Advert
Old 09-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #528
Kohinoor91
Kohinoor91 is a glorious beacon of lightKohinoor91 is a glorious beacon of lightKohinoor91 is a glorious beacon of lightKohinoor91 is a glorious beacon of lightKohinoor91 is a glorious beacon of lightKohinoor91 is a glorious beacon of lightKohinoor91 is a glorious beacon of lightKohinoor91 is a glorious beacon of lightKohinoor91 is a glorious beacon of lightKohinoor91 is a glorious beacon of lightKohinoor91 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: pocketbook622touch
Thank you very much for your help!
Kohinoor91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:10 PM   #529
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

k2pdfopt v2.01 released

K2pdfopt v2.01 is released. This fixes a significant memory leak which was causing k2pdfopt to crash or slow down when converting large PDF files. It also fixes some issues with the preview in the MS Windows GUI. See the web site for details.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:22 AM   #530
sage79
Enthusiast
sage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: kobo glo
Goodmorning willus. is there a way to reduce a 2 column text when it is too big?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k2pdfopt_out.png
Views:	248
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	110436  
sage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #531
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage79 View Post
Goodmorning willus. is there a way to reduce a 2 column text when it is too big?
@sage79--Yes. There are some things you can try.

1. k2pdfopt -mode 2col -fc- file.pdf

The -mode 2col will turn on native output. The -fc- turns off the feature that tries to force the column width to your device display width. With this turned off, the column width will be directly controlled by the output DPI (-odpi). If the text is still too large, decrease the output DPI (default is 167):

2. k2pdfopt -mode 2col -fc- -odpi 140 file.pdf

The value 140 is just an example. Use the value that works for you. You can also unwrap the text if you want:

3. k2pdfopt -fc- -wrap+ -odpi 140 file.pdf

This will also unwrap the text in the columns to fill the width of your display, getting more words onto each screen. Note that unwrapping is not compatible with native output, which is why I didn't use -mode 2col.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #532
sage79
Enthusiast
sage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of it

Thanks it works perfectly. It is a great software. And is there a way to remove "-"? -hy parameter don't work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k2pdfopt_out.png
Views:	236
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	110451  

Last edited by sage79; 09-05-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #533
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Thanks it works perfectly. It is a great software. And is there a way to remove "-"? -hy parameter don't work.
Can you post a few pages of the source PDF file that you are converting (if you don't want to post it, you can send me a private message)? I'll check out why my hyphen-finding algorithm isn't working on this particular text.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:28 AM   #534
sage79
Enthusiast

Here is. Thanks. You are very kind.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf sample.pdf (160.2 KB, 175 views)
Old 09-06-2013, 03:37 AM   #535
Kohinoor91
Kohinoor91 is a glorious beacon of lightKohinoor91 is a glorious beacon of lightKohinoor91 is a glorious beacon of lightKohinoor91 is a glorious beacon of lightKohinoor91 is a glorious beacon of lightKohinoor91 is a glorious beacon of lightKohinoor91 is a glorious beacon of lightKohinoor91 is a glorious beacon of lightKohinoor91 is a glorious beacon of lightKohinoor91 is a glorious beacon of lightKohinoor91 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: pocketbook622touch
yeey, no crashes anymore. Thank you willus! I wanna ask if I want to put more text in one page, because with default settings it's too big and there is space on e-reader's screen that is unused, so I have to change the DPI, or what to make more text fit in the screen? Text is 2 column if thats matter, PDF files are those which I sent you in private message.
edit- i've fixed the problem

Last edited by Kohinoor91; 09-06-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Kohinoor91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:32 PM   #536
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Here is. Thanks. You are very kind.
The hyphens are very clear--the algorithm should find them. I'll check why it isn't working.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:34 PM   #537
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
yeey, no crashes anymore. Thank you willus! I wanna ask if I want to put more text in one page, because with default settings it's too big and there is space on e-reader's screen that is unused, so I have to change the DPI, or what to make more text fit in the screen? Text is 2 column if thats matter, PDF files are those which I sent you in private message.
edit- i've fixed the problem
Glad you found a fix. See also post #531.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:33 PM   #538
sage79
Enthusiast

Hello willus. I have another problem. When a text is in a box or a semi-box the conversion to a big text don't occour. here is a sample.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf sample2.pdf (78.5 KB, 162 views)
Old 09-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #539
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Hello willus. I have another problem. When a text is in a box or a semi-box the conversion to a big text don't occour. here is a sample.
This is correct--k2pdfopt views boxes as being figures and does not attempt to re-flow them. There is an option to remove vertical lines from the document so that k2pdfopt will re-flow regions inside a box, but it may mean that some figures get interpreted incorrectly.

k2pdfopt -evl 1 myfile.pdf (removes free-standing vertical lines)

k2pdfopt -evl 2 myfile.pdf (removes vertical lines even if they are part of a box or frame)
Old 09-09-2013, 01:58 AM   #540
sage79
Enthusiast

Thanks, it works. you are a genius.

Tags
ebook apps, k5 tools, kindle tools, kindle touch, tools