Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-02-2012, 09:03 AM   #46
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by EileenG View Post
Unless you have a unique name, the chances are that even if you have a best seller flying off the shelves in your local bookshop, people won't connect it to you unless you tell them.

My mom, aunt, and other members of my family and friends would read anything that had my name on it, no matter what the topic.

I use my real name, but it does mean I have to be careful as I do have a job that could be put at risk. If I wrote "kinky" books, I could easily be fired, because of where I work. So I could see the advantages of hiding behind a pseudonym.

I do not read nor write in that genre so it is not an issue, but I could see how it could before you and others. Something to think about at least.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #47
silvi
silvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Real name for non-fiction and academic.
Second name for general fiction, short stories and blogging.
Pseudonym for erotic stories (but only because I don't want to embarrass my kids).
silvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:48 AM   #48
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
My mom, aunt, and other members of my family and friends would read anything that had my name on it, no matter what the topic.

I use my real name, but it does mean I have to be careful as I do have a job that could be put at risk. If I wrote "kinky" books, I could easily be fired, because of where I work. So I could see the advantages of hiding behind a pseudonym.

I do not read nor write in that genre so it is not an issue, but I could see how it could before you and others. Something to think about at least.
This, in a nutshell. (Though I can't get most of my family or friends to read my stuff!)
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:42 PM   #49
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
The only reason I ever read it .

In my case the use of a psuedonym is a no-brainer. I have a full time job, working from home a lot, and when I do finally publish, I don't want to do so under my real name for fear of raising questions in the minds of those I work for (even though they do get their fair pound of flesh out of me).
I know the feeling. I work like a dog, and get the job done. I even have a piece of the company. Still there is an attitude about "your real job" and your company focus versus some "selfish sideline." Never you mind about the time others spend drinking, golfing, hunting, fishing, on game weekends, etc. Also I must confess I try to come across as a good example.

It is easier to keep that "selfish sideline" low key and below the horizon so I use a pseudonym. My wife is an editor and a serious writer and so it is easy to set things up. As for a cover, since I work with sharp people, and they will sometimes notice I am doing something a little different (NOT in the office), I publish an occasional article in some technical magazines and if it appears that someone is too curious, or might have seen something say in a motel room at a job site or somewhere else, I always have 1 or 2 partially completed articles ready to show and bore the person with. If as has happened they express an interest in perhaps collaborating, I take the subject down some oddball path, and they then seem to steer clear and not ask so many questions, because they are "busy."
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:48 PM   #50
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
If as has happened they express an interest in perhaps collaborating, I take the subject down some oddball path, and they then seem to steer clear and not ask so many questions, because they are "busy."
Acting a little unhinged to distance your colleagues is a dangerous path to tread, but it made me smile all the same .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:54 PM   #51
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Acting a little unhinged to distance your colleagues is a dangerous path to tread,
But if done correcly, the results can be spectacular.
You can create a personal force-field, protecting you from all manner of corporate nonsense.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #52
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
You can create a personal force-field, protecting you from all manner of corporate nonsense.
Truth is, I do it myself. I get on well at work, but no-one asks me home for dinner....
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #53
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Acting a little unhinged to distance your colleagues is a dangerous path to tread, but it made me smile all the same .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Quote:
Truth is, I do it myself. I get on well at work, but no-one asks me home for dinner....
First you have to hold up your end at work. Second, you shouldn't be obviously spending a lot of time or making a lot of money at your "side line" or then it is considered competitive with your job, and also leads both to curiosity and jealousy, Third you should, whether you consider it "acting unhinged' or a "personal force-field" or just diversionary tactics, do it with a flourish or what I would call "hiding in plain sight." "Sleight of hand."

The wife provides a nice cover and explanation for many things. Besides, she is quite charming and that is a very good diversion in itself. ((She is always a good excuse, readily accepted.))
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:36 AM   #54
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd Tackitt View Post
Brad Thor ought to do it
That actually does appear to be Mr Thor's real name, and not a pseudonym.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:39 AM   #55
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
First you have to hold up your end at work. Second, you shouldn't be obviously spending a lot of time or making a lot of money at your "side line" or then it is considered competitive with your job, and also leads both to curiosity and jealousy, Third you should, whether you consider it "acting unhinged' or a "personal force-field" or just diversionary tactics, do it with a flourish or what I would call "hiding in plain sight." "Sleight of hand."
Many employment contracts (in the UK, at least - don't know if it's the same elsewhere) specifically prohibit you from having any other form of paid employment. If that's the case, it's always best to be open about it and tell your employers that you are writing (or whatever else it is you're doing).
Old 08-03-2012, 06:56 AM   #56
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Many employment contracts (in the UK, at least - don't know if it's the same elsewhere) specifically prohibit you from having any other form of paid employment. If that's the case, it's always best to be open about it and tell your employers that you are writing (or whatever else it is you're doing).
I have never seen a contract like that here in America. We have non-compete contracts, but that is more specific then what you seem to be talking about.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:03 AM   #57
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
I have never seen a contract like that here in America. We have non-compete contracts, but that is more specific then what you seem to be talking about.
In the UK it applies primarily to people in professional occupations. The idea is that you should be devoting your time exclusively to your employer's interests, not spending your time making money elsewhere.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:11 AM   #58
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
In the UK it applies primarily to people in professional occupations. The idea is that you should be devoting your time exclusively to your employer's interests, not spending your time making money elsewhere.
Doubt that would fly here very well. Non-competes get fought over heavily, and they are far less intrusive then that.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:44 AM   #59
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I would prefer to be employing well-rounded individuals with other interests, myself, but maybe that's why I'm not in charge.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:54 AM   #60
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I think the type of no work elsewhere contracts we get here in Canada, even for professionals, refer only to work in the same industry. For instance, if I want to tutor any students from my school, I have to either go through the school's own tutoring program (and make less money per hour since they take a cut) or get special permission. I even remember getting babysitting work from one of the families during the summer when school wasn't in session and having to clear it with the principal first!

With that said, I don't think the principal of my school would care if I spent the weekend writing romance novels or something, unless I was doing work for it during school time or on school machines. I mean, we even have politicians here who work in government but who own property or have family businesses from their prior career or something. Our mayor made much of his fortune on a family-owned furniture store. As long as he does not act in a way as mayor that gives his family business preferential treatment (there are rules for this and they are enforced by a watchdog) he can do what he wants.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote