Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-30-2012, 05:49 AM   #76
jakobim
Enthusiast
jakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Touch
Thank you very much for the quick response.Though I'm not sure I fully understand it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
data.tar.gz works on 5.1.1 from DIAGS only. You need an ENABLE_DIAGS file, and your RUNME.SH needs to mount main parition and edit it relative to the mount point, like this:

mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/mmc
cat /mnt/mmc/etc/shadow
The first two things about data.tar.gz and ENABLE_DIAGS seem to be the same things described in the K5 Wiki for jailbreaking. But it doesn't mention anything about RUNME.SH. Do I really need it?
If so, what exactly do I have to do with the code in green? I got the RUNME.sh.txt file from ixtab original post. Do I need to replace the whole content with the green code, or only add it at the end?

Quote:
There is a DIFFERENT method that works when booting from main. Details will be provided by those who developed it when it is needed.

There are other (unpublished) methods that work from diags as well, and you can always do the "simple debricking" method to install a pre-hacked partition image. So we have plenty of jailbreak (and debricking) options for the future. You do not need to worry about creating a "permanent" brick as long as simple debricking is available (in the sticky thread).
Well, that sounds reassuring. So there are already ways to jailbreak when the DIAGS method will not work anymore.
jakobim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:08 AM   #77
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Depending on WHICH data.tar.gz you use, you may either need RUNME.sh or runme.sh. Although on vfat, the scripts ARE case-sensitive (my data.tar.gz checks for both). Notice that I had the ".SH" case wrong in my original post (fixed now).

The data.tar.gz just deposits a script in a special place that does NOTHING except look for and run a RUNME.sh on the next reboot, if it finds one. All the hacking is done in RUNEM.sh, which you can customize as you wish.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-30-2012 at 09:27 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:30 AM   #78
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@jakobim: if your intent is only jailbreaking, you don't need to worry about the runme, the jailbreak package takes care of everything.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:56 AM   #79
@ngel
@ngel began at the beginning.

Got my kindle touch two days ago too, and has firmware 5.1.1
If I can help in any way please do let me know!
@ngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:52 AM   #80
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by @ngel View Post
Got my kindle touch two days ago too, and has firmware 5.1.1
If I can help in any way please do let me know!
We still need a copy of the main and diags partitions and kernels for study. You can use the data.tar.gz and RUNME.sh method to back them up without modifying them (see the Select Boot thread linked from the smple debricking sticky thread). Remember that data.tar.gz only works from diags. To backup the kernels, use the "getkernels.sh" script. I will provide a comprehensive script to make these forensic backup images when I get back and I can test them. Or somebody else can. But be sure to have the script reboot to main before doing the diags backup (which needs some RUNME.done wrangling).

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-01-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:19 AM   #81
jakobim
Enthusiast
jakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toys

So I finally brought myself to try jailbreaking my Kindle Touch running 5.1.1, and everthing went smoothly. I just did as described in the K5 Wiki.
I also installed the GUI Launcher, 'Dynamic replacement of (Java) functionality' and Komik, of which all are working. I'm not having any luck with HackUpReader, though.

Thanks for all the help, guys!
jakobim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:04 AM   #82
@ngel
@ngel began at the beginning.

I've already jailbreak it. Let me know exactly what you want me to do, what you want me to send you and where
@ngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:47 AM   #83
geekmaster

Quote:
I've already jailbreak it. Let me know exactly what you want me to do, what you want me to send you and where
A JB can be undone. I will let you know when I am ready (in a week or so)...
Old 07-01-2012, 10:08 AM   #84
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
  • install (and then enable) USB networking,
  • connect to KT with SSH client (Putty or something),
  • issue
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p1 of=/mnt/us/p1.img bs=4k
  • wait some minutes (it's safe to interrupt this process in any time, but you'll get an incomplete image, so don't; just be really patient).
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:16 AM   #85
geekmaster

You really should backup main while booted from diags. Booting from main actually WRITES to the main partition, and booting diags sometimes writes to the diags partition, which can corrupt a backup image if taken while files are open on it.

Also, get the kernels with the getkernels.sh script (in the tools index). I was planned to hide all the complexity in a script (in a week or so when I have access to a K5 for testing).
Old 07-01-2012, 10:46 AM   #86
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You really should backup main while booted from diags. Booting from main actually WRITES to the main partition, and booting diags sometimes writes to the diags partition, which can corrupt a backup image if taken while files are open on it.
Main is mounted read-only and very few activites are remounting it to read-write. They are mostly upstart scripts which are executed in [first] boot sequence or on shutdown (i.e. not in time when KT is usable and accessible for SSH). Remounting is also done on OTA update (which is rare) or in some scripts, which should be invoked by user explicitly.

"Mounted read-only" means that no writes to main can happen, so it's OK and safe to dump main to /mnt/us (which is partition distinct from main) within SSH session and it will be resulted in consistent backup image.

It's also [obviously] OK and safe to boot into main, manually mount diags and dump diags to /mnt/us.

Just clarifying things.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:59 AM   #87
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
It's also [obviously] OK and safe to boot into main, manually mount diags and dump diags to /mnt/us.

Just clarifying things.
Perhaps by the time that you have an SSH shell. But in my experience, backups made by a RUNME.sh script (run DURING startup) can cause corrupt partitions. So it all depends on WHEN you do it. From a RUNME.sh, the safest way is to dump a partition after booting from the OTHER partition (a bit hard to do on a K3).

I like to tell people a fairly simple way that should always work. Originally, I wanted 5.1.1 backups that were virgin (not hacked -- only data.tar.gz and RUNME.sh that do not modify anything but the USB drive and /var/local, but should not be done from a booted partition to prevent corruption.)

Yes, when running SSH prompt AFTER the framework has finished loading, you are probably safe to dump both partitions, but again, I have gotten corrupt partitions a bit too often for comfort and just stick with "dump the OTHER partition" (which always works). I like methods that ALWAYS work.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #88
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

FWIW, following this exact same discussion with eureka, I dumped my main part from SSH on main ro the other day, and it indeed looks sound .

(And it didn't really take all that long: 367001600 bytes (350.0MB) copied, 51.372762 seconds, 6.8MB/s).
Old 07-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #89
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
FWIW, following this exact same discussion with eureka, I dumped my main part from SSH on main ro the other day, and it indeed looks sound .

(And it didn't really take all that long: 367001600 bytes (350.0MB) copied, 51.372762 seconds, 6.8MB/s).
My problems were probably from dumping it from a RUNME.sh during startup (mntus.param) then. Perhaps better to do it from an SSH shell, but then you cannot get VIRGIN (unhacked) partitions, for comparison.

It may also be firmware version dependent, and could depend on registered or not, wireless on or not, or other factors.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-01-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #90
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yeah, there's some whacky mntroot rw happening in some scripts, and since upstart is a giant parallelized mess, can't exactly pinpoint when in the boot process it will happen .