Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-12-2010, 10:20 AM   #31
Patricia Ryan
Connoisseur
Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Now here's my tip, wearing my MR hat: please figure out a way to encourage all your members to have their books properly formatted and proof-read before re-releasing as ebooks on Amazon, Smashwords or elsewhere. Is there to be a shared Reprint Imprint?
Thanks for the tip. No, there's no shared reprint imprint. We're all releasing our backlist ebooks as individuals, using different processes. But there is a listserve for authors who are doing this (authors self-publishing their backlist can message me for info), and we exchange information which I'm hoping will be helpful in terms of preventing formatting errors and the like.

Pat
Backlist Ebooks
Patricia Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:01 AM   #32
Patricia Ryan
Connoisseur
Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
This male author just sent an email.

Sounds like a great idea, Patricia! (Actually, I kind of hate Facebook, too--but I use it out of necessity. And this sounds like a good use.)
I just replied to your email, Jeff. Welcome! That will make three male authors and counting. I'm also happy to have another SF author on board.

Pat
Backlist Ebooks
Advert
Old 09-12-2010, 01:34 PM   #33
Cyclops
Only need one eye to read
Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C, Sony PRS-300, Nintendo DSi XL,
I'm on Facebook, and I Liked!
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:31 PM   #34
Patricia Ryan
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
I'm on Facebook, and I Liked!
Yay! Thanks!

BTW, I've been discussing interim website options with my fellow Backlist Maven, and we may be able to cobble something together fairly soon--nothing fancy, but those of you who are allergic to Facebook will have a place to browse our wares until the fancy-shmancy website is unveiled.

We aim to please!

Pat
Old 09-13-2010, 06:38 PM   #35
Doranna Durgin
neo
Doranna Durgin doesn't litterDoranna Durgin doesn't litter

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia Ryan View Post
Yay! Thanks!

BTW, I've been discussing interim website options with my fellow Backlist Maven, and we may be able to cobble something together fairly soon--nothing fancy, but those of you who are allergic to Facebook will have a place to browse our wares until the fancy-shmancy website is unveiled.

We aim to please!

Pat
Hello!

Signing in as one of the Backlist Ebook mavens (still trying to decide if it's a good thing to be a maven), mainly to say "thank you!" for the comments and suggestions regarding the web site.

Pat has the wedding thing (!) and I have a month full of agility competitions (er, it's a doggy thing), but we're both looking forward to getting a simple non-FaceBook site up once we s/u/r/v/i/v/e/ enjoy those things. Not a blog, because the logistics of interim author wrangling are untenable, but a place with all the info we can provide.

We really do want to make this resource as usable as possible, as quickly as possible. 8)

Thanks!
--Doranna
Doranna Durgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2010, 07:15 PM   #36
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doranna Durgin View Post
Hello!

Signing in as one of the Backlist Ebook mavens (still trying to decide if it's a good thing to be a maven), mainly to say "thank you!" for the comments and suggestions regarding the web site.

Pat has the wedding thing (!) and I have a month full of agility competitions (er, it's a doggy thing), but we're both looking forward to getting a simple non-FaceBook site up once we s/u/r/v/i/v/e/ enjoy those things. Not a blog, because the logistics of interim author wrangling are untenable, but a place with all the info we can provide.

We really do want to make this resource as usable as possible, as quickly as possible. 8)

Thanks!
--Doranna
Hi Doranna -- Welcome to Mobileread! I think you'll find this a friendly and helpful community. I've learned a lot here.

Re getting your page onto a "website," it's a good idea, but I wouldn't stress too much. After all, your Facebook page is a web page. Even though I'm not a FB fan myself, it serves the purpose as the group grows. And the world is filled with people who are FB fans.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:20 PM   #37
Doranna Durgin
neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
Hi Doranna -- Welcome to Mobileread! I think you'll find this a friendly and helpful community. I've learned a lot here.
I certainly hope to. I would *really* like to have a reading device soon, but must make decisions about which...
Old 09-13-2010, 10:24 PM   #38
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Welcome to MobileRead, Doranna. Your name is very familiar to me, but I'm afraid it's a Fictionwise-makes-me-sad story...I bought one of your ebooks right at the end of March and have never been able to download it because of the Agency 5 embargo!

I keep checking back every once in awhile...someday I'll be able to read it!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:52 AM   #39
Doranna Durgin
neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Welcome to MobileRead, Doranna. Your name is very familiar to me, but I'm afraid it's a Fictionwise-makes-me-sad story...I bought one of your ebooks right at the end of March and have never been able to download it because of the Agency 5 embargo!

I keep checking back every once in awhile...someday I'll be able to read it!
Gah! That's awful! I mean, I'm all excited that you bought it, but I had no idea that had happened to anyone. (Author = last to know.) Which book was it? *baffle*
Old 09-14-2010, 07:11 AM   #40
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Doranna, unfortunately this sort of thing has happened to a lot of people. I am afraid it is a but of an uphill battle for readers sometimes This is why imho it is totally the right thing you guys are doing in taking control of your backlist books and putting out the ebooks yourselves, so that you can treat the readers fairly. Bear in mind that a lot of us here are the diehards so we may not represent the average person on the street, but by fair the dominant mood seems to be that people are quite happy to pay a fair price for DRM-free titles from authors who treat us right

Fwiw the last two times I wrote to an author about such an issue, one was to a big-name author and I got no reply and the other was to Joe Haldeman and his wife personally emailed me a copy of the book off her own hard drive
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:27 AM   #41
Doranna Durgin
neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Doranna, unfortunately this sort of thing has happened to a lot of people.

Fwiw the last two times I wrote to an author about such an issue, one was to a big-name author and I got no reply and the other was to Joe Haldeman and his wife personally emailed me a copy of the book off her own hard drive
GAH!!!

Re authors...sometimes we don't have the book put together in a sendable format, which is why I wanted to know which title it was--because I definitely want to send a copy of this one if I have it in a single decent piece. (Depends on the age of the title, since I haven't pulled all the older ones together yet.)

But yeah...the Haldemans are, from everything I've heard, like that. 8)

--Doranna
Old 09-14-2010, 12:01 PM   #42
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Doranna, this is the beauty of the internet revolution People like authors can actually communicate directly with their fans, to everyone's benefit. The customer feels like they can be looked after and have a good experience, and the author can know first-hand what people want. It may not be as nice when you get a bad review and hear it directly from the customer But it can be great for business because if there is something people want to see and you can provide it for them (even if it is only an answer to a question) then you can get their business, now and in the future. And if they tell you there is a demand for something (see: the Peter S. Beagle thread) then you can go ahead with a project, sure that it will find an audience.

I saw this in the early days of the exercise video community. The bad news was, if you screwed up, there was only one message board where all the fans hung out, and everyone would know. But the good news was...there was one board where everybody hung out, and if you did something good, everyone would know I remember how floored I was the first time I posted there about a video I was using and had the instructor herself reply to me with some valuable tips and a suggested rotation. It blew my mind a little that I was out there using this person's video and they personally knew this and were cheering me on. I was not a hypothetical customer out there somewhere in the world, I was a real person she had spoken with directly, and she cared about my progress and wanted to help me enjoy it. I thought then (and still think) that this is one of the coolest things about the internet.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:15 PM   #43
Doranna Durgin
neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Doranna, this is the beauty of the internet revolution People like authors can actually communicate directly with their fans, to everyone's benefit. ...
Oh, I've been on the Internets for years...have had a newsgroup at SFF since '96. It's just a matter of finding fun new places! 8) And I agree, the direct communication is so important. In this case, we're finally in a position to be making our own choices about certain details. Niiiice.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:30 PM   #44
Mare of Earth
Leaver of Hoofmarks
Mare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Paperwhite 4
*really really tries to restrain fangirl squee at favorite author showing up on favorite book site*

...!
*fails*

Welcome to MobileRead, Doranna Durgin!
Mare of Earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:40 PM   #45
Doranna Durgin
neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mare of Earth View Post
*really really tries to restrain fangirl squee at favorite author showing up on favorite book site*

...!
*fails*

Welcome to MobileRead, Doranna Durgin!
*faint of happiness*

Wow!

Thank you for that moment!

--Doranna