Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
allenm28
allenm28 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Restore Library

I saved all the books in the Library to a Jump Drive in order to move them to another PC. On the Jump Drive I now have 48 folders each by author with the book in the folder. I tried to add the Author Folders to the new install of Calibre on the 2nd PC but the only way I can find to get the books in the new library is to open each folder and add the book individually. Is there some way I can restore all at once?
allenm28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenm28 View Post
I saved all the books in the Library to a Jump Drive in order to move them to another PC. On the Jump Drive I now have 48 folders each by author with the book in the folder. I tried to add the Author Folders to the new install of Calibre on the 2nd PC but the only way I can find to get the books in the new library is to open each folder and add the book individually. Is there some way I can restore all at once?
If you had copied metadata.db along with those folders, all you would need to do is paste ALL into the new Library folder (Calibre closed. No other books in the library)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
allenm28

Restore Library

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
If you had copied metadata.db along with those folders, all you would need to do is paste ALL into the new Library folder (Calibre closed. No other books in the library)
All I did was use the "Save To Disk" function in Calibre to put this info on the Jump Drive. I looked in the Jump Drive and all that is there are the Folders but no "metadata.db". I tried to copy a few folders from the Jump Drive into the Calibre Library under My Documents but the ones I copied in did not show up in Calibre.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:36 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

STD won't copy metadata.db

You will have to remove all those you added (it might be easier to switch/create a new, empty, Library.
In the future, just copy the Library FOLDER as your (full Library) backup
Old 12-17-2012, 10:06 PM   #5
allenm28

Restore

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
STD won't copy metadata.db

You will have to remove all those you added (it might be easier to switch/create a new, empty, Library.
In the future, just copy the Library FOLDER as your (full Library) backup
I am not sure what you are saying. The current library is empty and if I copy all the folders. with there files, from the Jump Drive to the Library nothing shows.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:44 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I am not sure what you are saying. The current library is empty and if I copy all the folders. with there files, from the Jump Drive to the Library nothing shows.
Don't copy, you don't have a Library any more.
You will need to use: add books from directories, including sub-directories 1 book per folder <<
Old 12-17-2012, 11:56 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
You should have copied the entire library from one machine to the other. The root of the library has the metadata.db file and all of the author sub-directories. Once you move the entire library over it is as simple as clicking the down arrow on the library icon and pointing calibre to an existing library.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:13 AM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
See How do I move my calibre library from one computer to another?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #9
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
The list of books shown by Calibre is actually constructed from information in metadata.db, not from the books in the library. Typically metadata.db contains updated metadata while the books still have old metadata. Metadata inside books is normally only updated to match metadata.db when you send books to device, convert them or save to disk. So you have to backup both metadata.db and all the folders in the library. Just copy the whole library folder as a single entity. And restore it the same way.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote