Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-22-2008, 04:34 PM   #1
manchuia
Connoisseur
manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: In under a month I will have had both Sonys and a Kindle
That was amazingly harder than I thought it would be

I have wanted a Kindle for so long that I thought as soon as I had permission to get one I would quickly press the "buy" button and be done.

It took over three days for me to press the "buy" button.

I guess most of credit for all that waffling and hesitation should really go to Kovid. I finally got Calibre to work well with some of the RSS feeds that aren't available through amazon, and combined with the Sony 505 I was feeling pretty good about the duo.

The second hurdle was the $380 sticker to get it delivered to me (one day shipping as I took too long and needed it before I headed to the beach). Coming from the Sony camp, this just was pretty tough to get over.

I think this is the right choice though. I was reading a book that covered some complex math / encryption topics and while I was going through it i kept wondering about the background (wiki) of the subject or what that one word meant (dictionary). I won't have a laptop at the beach, so the wireless updates will definitely shine and be useful. I also will appreciate (unlike what most of the reviews say) the large next page buttons. That annoyed me to no end with the Sony. I am spending most of my time going forward in a book, but the buttons to do so are so insubstantial it makes me wonder if I am doing something wrong.

of course... Amazon's 30 day return policy doesn't hurt in case I need to go running back to Sony ....

In the meantime, I will start going through the tips/tricks threads on the Kindle and start converting my BBeB library over to Mobi....
manchuia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:36 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Congratulations, hope you are thrilled with your choice, and don't forget to take along your recharger!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2008, 04:43 PM   #3
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by manchuia View Post
The second hurdle was the $380 sticker to get it delivered to me (one day shipping as I took too long and needed it before I headed to the beach).
Just keep in mind the earlier adopters who paid more than that ... and had to wait weeks for theirs to arrive.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:45 PM   #4
bwit
Huh?
bwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litter

Device: Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by manchuia View Post
I won't have a laptop at the beach, so the wireless updates will definitely shine and be useful.
If you really need to stay close to your laptop I am willing to go to the beach for you. :-)

Bob
bwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:50 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Don't forget!!

Before you leave, download the mobile catalogs from this site and feedbooks.com....also manybooks.net
Then you'll have everything at your fingertips!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2008, 07:43 PM   #6
Brian1972ct
Brian1972ct began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I was in the same boat as you, Manchuia. I also opted for 1 day shipping, and my Kindle arrived yesterday. I will say I am very pleased with my purchase! I dont even mind the cover as much as others do. It was great reading the Kindle in bed last night. I had no problems with the buttons, and I look forward to using it tonight.

I read every review on this forum, and had it narrowed down to the Kindle and the Sony. I saw the Sony at the local Borders, and it was nice. I just wanted the ease of using Whispernet to buy books, so the Kindle it is. Good luck with yours!
Brian1972ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:08 PM   #7
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Just keep in mind the earlier adopters who paid more than that ... and had to wait weeks for theirs to arrive.
I paid more but my shipping was free so the price difference was only $19 and I've had months and months of use out of it already
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:08 PM   #8
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
I hesitated one day and I still had to wait three weeks! I bought it the second day it was out. I wanted to see how folks here liked it before ordering. Silly in retrospect since Amazon has a great return policy. I got a second one for my husband at the lower price, though.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:06 AM   #9
bakerjw
Enthusiast
bakerjw doesn't litterbakerjw doesn't litter

Device: none
I'm sure you'll love it. I know I love mine.

For me it was a tossup between the Kindle and the Sony. But as I look at my Sony MP3Man and remember how useless it was before I found a 3rd party piece of software to load onto it to make it usable, it was a slam dunk. Sony = rotten software.

Welcome!
bakerjw is offline   Reply With Quote