Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-14-2010, 12:26 PM   #1
twr
twr began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 505
Some feedback please

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum.

I currently have a Sony PRS-505. I am looking to upgrade to a device with the new sharper pearl e-ink screen. It is between the Kindle 3 and the new Sony PRS-650. I had decided on the Sony as I hate the plastic look of the Kindle with a keyboard. Downloading and transferring books does not bother me (would rather have a reader that looks like a book) However, many epub books have stupid margins - some an inch left and right meaning books are like reading a newspaper column which I find really annoying. Could you please feedback if this is an issue with some Kindle books. If Kindle store books are perfectly formatted i.e. using the full screen I may switch to Kindle as the reading experience is more important than how the device looks.

Thanks
twr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:44 PM   #2
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Hi there - all the books I've actually bought from Amazon (probably 50 ish) have made use of the whole screen that the Kindle permits - there is a tiny margin all the way around. And even with the free books I've had from Amazon and other websites have displayed with this format.

I'm not a big plastic fan but I had a glossy Sony Touch reader and it wasn't enjoyable for me mainly due to an inferior screen. However the new Sony's look like they've improved tremendously. The Kindle 3 looks smart though it's plastic and the cases which are out already and some on preorder look very cool.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2010, 12:45 PM   #3
Psykhe
Connoisseur
Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle4, KindlePW
If the epubs are without DRM you should be able to use calibre to reformat them so they use the whole width of the sony.
Psykhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:54 PM   #4
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
You may also find this thread useful:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94129

Possibly there's a similar hack for the Sony?
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:27 PM   #5
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
In the Kindle you can change a setting in the bootfile (there is a thread about it) so that you completely eliminate borders but that will throw some shadow on the text. I'm certain it is possible to do something similar on the Sony. Post a question in the Sony section and you will receive better replies than here.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2010, 02:44 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, twr.

Personally, I haven't noticed any bothersome margins.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:50 PM   #7
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
I didn't find a margin hack for my Sonys (505 and 300), but it is possible to edit the style sheet for epubs (though you will need to remove any drm first). However, it is also possible to ruin the look of the book if you go too gung-ho in doing this (mea culpa).

On the K3 the "hack" TheKindleWorm has pointed you to does seem to work very nicely - certainly it has held for the first three books I have read on my new K3, though I did find changing the number of words per line in Settings and then switching back to the Default words per line setting also resulted in my losing my margin change in the pref file.

I still have a very sweet spot for the styling of the Sony readers, but I already know that I will be keeping my K3 and it will now be my daily e-reader.

(Off topic slightly, but today I was looking at my progress bar and realised that it has little markers within it showing where each chapter starts - lovely).
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:28 PM   #8
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
No margins that I've noticed on my K2, with both paid books and free, out-of-copyright books.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote