Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-27-2006, 01:02 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Is e-ink really a better display than my Treo?

Believe me, I'm not posting this to cause trouble. But while reading on my Treo 700p, I noticed the crispness of the display, and the nice white background on my device.

I understand that the Treo will never compete with an e-ink reader because of screen size. Nor will it compete for viewing in direct sunlight. But it does have a distinct advantage in the dark because of the backlight, and page turns are very responsive.

So when I look at how nice the Treo display is, I have to ask the question... Is e-ink really any nicer than a really good LCD display like the one on my Treo 700p? I'm using a bold sans serif regular size font, which allows 13 lines of text on the screen. But like I said, it's really sharp looking. I'm thinking that e-ink may give more resolution, but won't look at white in the background, nor have that nice contrast and "easy to look at" feel.

Anyone have experience with both e-ink and a Treo 650 or Treo 700p?
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:14 PM   #2
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
I don't have experience with the Treos, but I think we can assume that the screen is similar to the Palm TX that I currently use for reading eBooks.

The main issues I have with the Palm is the direct sunlight issue and the screen size issue. Other than that, it works nicely. If I am indoors, without my sunglasses on, reading eBooks on my TX doesn't cause eye strain or anything.

But I can say that, after reading eBooks on my iLiad for the last 2 days, reading eBooks on my iLiad is FAR nicer and what I plan on using for my eBook reading from now on.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2006, 01:20 PM   #3
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
Anyone have experience with both e-ink and a Treo 650 or Treo 700p?
Yep... I have a Treo 650... The difference between the screens is *huge*. I can do about 30 mins tops with my Treo, but reading with the Illiad is much easier on the eye. And a Treo is "usable" in a park in strong sunlight, just, but the illiad is much crisper and is really, really like reading from a piece of paper....

The Treo wins out currently with screen refresh, but thats the only thing...!
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:22 PM   #4
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak
ElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad
I've seen some pretty sharp screens, but the iLiad (e-ink in general) is just amazing, it just doesn't look "real". Take a piece of paper, put a piece of plastic on top (eg. one of those crystal plastic thingies for carrying papers around) and look at it... that's what it's like... every time it refreshes, you think "how weird, paper shouldn't 'move'!".
ElaHuguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:49 PM   #5
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
All i can say is that this are 2 complete different things you could not compare.

I used a nokia 770 before with one of the most decent displays out there but for reading purpose compared to the ilead its just crap.

So no for reading the treo screen could not even compete with the ilead.

Beside that it was always a pain in the eyes to read longer in front of this shining devices, with eink i can read for more then 5+ hours without any problems.
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2006, 02:12 PM   #6
stinky ox
Connoisseur
stinky ox began at the beginning.

Device: samsung q1, iLiad
I could read from a PDA if I *had* to, but I read on the iLiad because I *want* to. There's no glare, no viewing angle issues, and I can read in direct sunlight - in fact it's *best* in direct sunlight, and given that my favourite place to read is lying out on the grass in the sun (goats willing), that's the clincher for me.

Most "active" screens do your eyes in after a while, whereas reading the Iliad is exactly like reading paper, and tires your eyes no more than normal book reading.
stinky ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 03:01 PM   #7
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Just to add my 2 pennyworth.

The Zaurus SL5500 was a much better screen than my old palm. And it doesn't _compare_ to the e-ink screen.

It really is like reading paper (Ok the back is light grey not white) but it really does look like it's been printed. The amount of people at work or on the tube that thought it was one of those stickers they put onto phones and the like to simulate their screen, when, its on in shops was amazing. It is that crisp and that different to a "normal" PDA screen.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 08:08 PM   #8
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
One of the benefits of the eink screen over a handheld screen is also the battery life question - I like the idea that I can stare at a single page/screen for as long as I want and use no battery (and not have the device go into standby mode or turn off the backlight). Of course, it sounds like iRex isn't really living up to this potential currently, but that's one of the great promises of eink, in my mind.
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote