Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-19-2012, 10:21 AM   #136
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
I know, but I take that over watching the startup sequence every single morning.

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:30 AM   #137
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Sorry, I should have said "Win7 laptop takes a (perceived) eternity come to boot up". It does "wake up" from sleep quite speedily.

In my experience, however, using most of my devices for any extended period without re-booting leads to force close of applications, unexpected quits, and BSOD etc. Even my Palm TE2 used to give error messsages and freeze on me. The only exception has been iOS (up to 4 - haven't used 5 or 6). Maybe my brain radiates "error waves" that iOS is immune to .

So I was a little surprised about hrosvit's comment: "Never been impressed by the boot time of Apple's mobile devices." as I rarely need to boot up my iOS devices, whereas I stare at an Android boot animation for roughly the same amout of time a couple of times a day.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #138
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
Sorry, I should have said "Win7 laptop takes a (perceived) eternity come to boot up". It does "wake up" from sleep quite speedily.

In my experience, however, using most of my devices for any extended period without re-booting leads to force close of applications, unexpected quits, and BSOD etc. Even my Palm TE2 used to give error messsages and freeze on me. The only exception has been iOS (up to 4 - haven't used 5 or 6). Maybe my brain radiates "error waves" that iOS is immune to .

So I was a little surprised about hrosvit's comment: "Never been impressed by the boot time of Apple's mobile devices." as I rarely need to boot up my iOS devices, whereas I stare at an Android boot animation for roughly the same amout of time a couple of times a day.
I agree that Win and Android need booting far more often than the iOS devices do. And I wasn't really bringing Android into it, as I don't use Android very often. My only point was that, in a comparison of my Win devices and my iOS devices, Win 8 wins from off by about 35 seconds, and iOS wins from sleep (over a Win7 device - I don't have my Win8 device handy right now) by about 5 seconds.

Although the iOS devices are often seen as much more "ready to go", I have not found this to be particularly true.

Although I do agree that Win7 is a drag, from off.
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #139
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I hardly ever reboot my Android devices. The only time is if I switch battery.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #140
kfarmer
Gizzzzmo Nerd
kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Hmm.. A bunch of people are missing something very fundamental in my opinion -- that metro-fied "desktop" *is* the start menu. Or at least the pinned programs and search/run aspects, and is a helluva lot more information-rich now as well as full-screen. From the legacy desktop, press the windows key, start typing. Also, move your mouse to the lower left of the screen, see the desktop tile pop up (that's the new orb -- clicking it is the same as bringing up the start menu in prior versions), and right-click (see admin menu).
kfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #141
pj123
Zealot
pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Tablet 3 Pro, Kobo Aura H2O, Ipad
When I read, I use iPad or android tablet; when I run computation/write paper, I use Mac or my Linux-based laptop or a netbook. I really don't understand what's the point to buy ms surface. I also occasionally use my ipad or tablet to write paper. For both iPad and android tablet, I use cases with removable keyboard.
pj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:07 PM   #142
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj123 View Post
When I read, I use iPad or android tablet; when I run computation/write paper, I use Mac or my Linux-based laptop or a netbook. I really don't understand what's the point to buy ms surface. I also occasionally use my ipad or tablet to write paper. For both iPad and android tablet, I use cases with removable keyboard.
Worker bees, why tie them to a cubicle when you can tie the cubicle to them?
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:42 PM   #143
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
Worker bees, why tie them to a cubicle when you can tie the cubicle to them?
My thoughts exactly. Win8 and the Surface are more likely to prove a curse than a blessing.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:42 PM   #144
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
The point is that the surface can take the place of both your tablet AND your laptop/netbook. It will be a much better PC than your netbook (at least the Pro version, we don't know enough about the RT yet), and a better tablet than an Android tablet or iPad.

Last edited by HansTWN; 10-19-2012 at 10:46 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:05 AM   #145
pj123
Zealot
pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am still kind of skeptical about that. I don't think surface can replace my laptop/mac. Maybe surface can replace my ipad and android tablet as a pdf reader. In that case, it is a waste of > $600 to buy surface for my situation.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:22 AM   #146
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Since you use a Mac you are most probably not a hardcore gamer. So there is no reason why the surface Pro shouldn't be able to replace your laptop.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:50 AM   #147
pj123
Zealot

HansTWN, you are right. I am not a gamer.

Last edited by pj123; 10-21-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:36 AM   #148
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
I am still kind of skeptical about that. I don't think surface can replace my laptop/mac. Maybe surface can replace my ipad and android tablet as a pdf reader. In that case, it is a waste of > $600 to buy surface for my situation.
If all you care about is PDF viewing then yes, any kind of premium tablet is a waste of money. Surface, iPad, and Samsung/Acer/Asus, etc
Your best bet might actually be a Nook HD+ or the Best Buy Flex or some no-name *large* Android tablet. Those will easily save you $200-300 and still get the job done.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:12 AM   #149
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
I've decided to buy the Surface RT, assuming the reviews are good...and they probably will be IMO.

1. My laptop's LCD died this month and fixing it would cost almost as much as buying the Surface.
2. I need a laptop but I really WANT a tablet that has Microsoft Office....hence Surface.
3. I was hoping it would cost $400 not $600, but I'm not that price sensitive.
4. The battery life of the Surface is good enough, although not great. I don't think the battery is replaceable.
5. The MicroSD card slot is pretty important...and reduces the total cost of ownership of the device since a 32GB MicroSD card only costs like $30.....not $100.
6. The Windows 8 interface is a lot more innovative and interesting than the boring icon layout of iOS.
7. The keyboard is a huge selling point. It adds tremendous functionality without adding additional weight. It also looks cool. It should have cost $400 with the keyboard....I would have preordered it. Now, I'm going to wait for the reviews.
8. Without MS Office, this device is dead on arrival. It would have zero chance of competing with ipad since it has hardly any apps. Office is a real game changer. Sure, there are iOS apps that are compatible with Office files but you need Office for serious work and collaboration. That being said, not having full Office with VBA was nearly a deal breaker...but I think I can live without it. Any excel workbook that has essential VBA programs, I'll probably be using my work or home desktop for. Or, I'll be able to get access to full Office on the go if I really need it.
10. I'm convinced the app market for RT will be a success because any app written for regular windows 8 will be compatible with RT. A lot of people are going to have Windows 8 since it will be preinstalled on most new computers. This means the install base for these metro style apps is going to be very significant. 300+ million Windows computers are sold each year....so the app market should be at least as good as the market for android's tablet OS within 2 years I think. The apps could also be more sophisticated since WIndows 8 RT is closer to a full desktop OS and most people will have a keyboard attached.
11. Surface RT vs Surface Pro. I think $1000 is too much for a computer nowadays. The Pro will cost at least $1000 I think. Also, the Pro will probably have lower battery life...like 6.5 hrs....or 5 hrs a year later. I refuse to buy any tablet that gets less than 8 hrs when new. 10 hrs is ideal. No VBA and x86 apps vs <7hr battery life and $300+....I'd rather buy the RT version since I already have a desktop.

Last edited by markbot; 10-20-2012 at 11:20 AM.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #150
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
11. Surface RT vs Surface Pro. I think $1000 is too much for a computer nowadays. The Pro will cost at least $1000 I think. Also, the Pro will probably have lower battery life...like 6.5 hrs....or 5 hrs a year later. I refuse to buy any tablet that gets less than 8 hrs when new. 10 hrs is ideal. No VBA and x86 apps vs <7hr battery life and $300+....I'd rather buy the RT version since I already have a desktop.
I hear you.
But if you can wait a few weeks, you might find at least one Win8 Tablet closer to $800 than $1000.
Would that make up for the battery life?
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote