Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-25-2012, 03:43 PM   #76
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
But with an ebook, if you make a copy, both you and your friend can read it at the same time.
Then don't keep a copy.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:02 PM   #77
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Using emotive words like "evil" does not usefully add to the discussion. What you are doing is very probably illegal, but if it's your choice to do it, then so be it.
So why do you use emotive words like "criminals" than? Since you call people criminals without good reason.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2012, 07:11 PM   #78
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
deleted

Last edited by HansTWN; 05-26-2012 at 07:14 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:07 AM   #79
theredhairedcrow
Apache Flyer
theredhairedcrow began at the beginning.

Device: PC, Kindle
As a book reviewer, I receive a lot of free books, and have the message on my site that I will never share what I receive free with anyone else for any reason: and I do not. If I really like a book and think of someone I know who will enjoy it, I buy a copy for them or gift it for the same affect. The books I have provided to me free for review, I keep them the length of time it takes to review and then delete them. I have software on my PC that allows me to read several different formats, so the not being able to delete them from the reader device isn't applicable.

As an author, certainly I would prefer someone not "share" my books with others unless it is a part of the application or their ap's plan. I work both a full and part time job to help ends meet as a single parent, while still writing, which I consider my foremost pleasure. And no, authors who understand the realities of the industry don't believe they are going to get rich from their writing. I realize people do share with others and even illegally upload the books as files other people they don't even know can access. That's just part of it. I can't do anything about it any more than anyone else, and I don't let it bother me.

I prefer to look at it and hope that someone might read that story and be interested enough to actually buy my others, but to be honest, a number of people will never do so. They only just want free stuff and see no real issue with illegally gaining books that way, or they rationalize it. In any case, if part of a plan like Amazon Kindle's were you can lend it, well, why not. If you wish to share otherwise, I say buy the person you wish to share with a copy.

Last edited by theredhairedcrow; 05-28-2012 at 06:17 AM.
theredhairedcrow is offline   Reply With Quote