Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-28-2011, 04:53 AM   #1
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
htmlz editor

I know Calibre itself isn't meant to be used to edit ebooks. However, you can associate programs with specific formats of ebooks and use those programs (OpenOffice/LibreOffice, Wordpad, Sigil, etc.) to edit the files.

I can't find a program that handles the zipped htmlz files. Is there anything that can explode and then edit them?

Edit: fixed typo
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:18 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwen Morse View Post
I can't find a program that handles the zipped htmlz files. Is there anything that can explode and then edit them?
I associate them with 7zip. When I click on the the htmlz it opens a 7zip window. 7zip allows you to configure an editor. I set mine to Notepad++. I select the file in the 7zip window I want to edit and press f4 (or right click the file and select Edit) to edit the file in Notepad++. I then save the resultant file to the desktop, drag the completed edit to the 7zip window where it updates the existing htmz file.

There may be better methods but this one works in the interim.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 12-28-2011 at 05:22 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2011, 05:57 AM   #3
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Thanks. Very useful to know.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:01 AM   #4
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwen Morse View Post
It's just a zip file with HTML and associated files inside. You can use any program that unzips zip files. Windows has a built in tool that all you need to do is right click and choose extract. Then when you're finished editing is rezip the files.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:08 AM   #5
Gwen Morse
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
It's just a zip file with HTML and associated files inside. You can use any program that unzips zip files. Windows has a built in tool that all you need to do is right click and choose extract. Then when you're finished editing is rezip the files.
I do know that, I was hoping to find a program that would handle it all in the background. The answer to that seems to be "no" (no program does that) which is still useful to have.

I think I'll keep doing my editing in RTF files, it's the only format that keeps formatting and everything in a single "page".
Advert
Old 01-06-2012, 02:04 PM   #6
PocketGoddess
Connoisseur
PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, KSO, Nook, iPad
But there's no option if you just want to read the book? Calibre doesn't seem to handle HTMLZ files, and if I extract them I just get an ugly HTML file that opens up in Chrome. i'd rather use Calibre's built-in ebook reader, if there's any way to convert them.

Ideas?
PocketGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:06 PM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Since the Calibre viewer is basically an ePub viewer, convert them to ePub! Having said that if you set the handling of HTMLZ files in the Calibre Preferences to use the Calibre viewer rather than an external program it will do such a conversion automatically if needed.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:08 PM   #8
PocketGoddess
Connoisseur
PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That went way over my head, but I think you gave me enough breadcrumbs to work with that I can figure it out on my own.

I love calibre, but I haven't really dug under the hood--I'd much rather read!

Old 01-06-2012, 02:14 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketGoddess View Post
But there's no option if you just want to read the book? Calibre doesn't seem to handle HTMLZ files, and if I extract them I just get an ugly HTML file that opens up in Chrome. i'd rather use Calibre's built-in ebook reader, if there's any way to convert them.

Ideas?
But what about reading the eBook that the HTMLZ came from?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:16 PM   #10
PocketGoddess
Connoisseur

itimpi's suggestion to convert to epub worked perfectly; I'm not sure I understand your comment though.

Now all I need to do is figure out the part in the calibre preferences to use the internal viewer, and I'll be all set.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
itimpi's suggestion to convert to epub worked perfectly; I'm not sure I understand your comment though.

Now all I need to do is figure out the part in the calibre preferences to use the internal viewer, and I'll be all set.
HTMLZ is a converted format. There has to be an original eBook such as in ePub or Mobipocket. Why not just read the original eBook that the HTMZ came from?
Old 01-06-2012, 03:36 PM   #12
PocketGoddess
Connoisseur

Because some of my books come to me as HTMLZ files.

When one gets books in a variety of formats from lots of different places, and one also has a variety of devices on which to read them (Kindle Keyboard, Fire, Touch, Nook Tablet, Nook Touch, iPad, laptop, etc.) one desires to have a single ebook solution (calibre) that works with all of them.

I'm a freelance writer/tech reviewer, and have been buying ebooks for more than ten years now, so my ebook situation is rather more complicated than most. Ironically enough, I'm also a big fan of simplicity, so it's frustrating to me that I can click just once on any other book in calibre and have it open up right away, but that doesn't work with HTMLZ books. Now I know to just convert them all to epub when I first import them, and that frustration disappears.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:36 AM   #13
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Why don't the calibre devs look at extending the "Tweak Epub" feature to handle htmlz as well? I would have thought the process would be very similar. After all, from what I've gleaned, all the "Tweak epub" feature does is unzips a zip file to a temporary directory, then re-zips it when one is finished making alterations...
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Because some of my books come to me as HTMLZ files.

When one gets books in a variety of formats from lots of different places, and one also has a variety of devices on which to read them (Kindle Keyboard, Fire, Touch, Nook Tablet, Nook Touch, iPad, laptop, etc.) one desires to have a single ebook solution (calibre) that works with all of them.

I'm a freelance writer/tech reviewer, and have been buying ebooks for more than ten years now, so my ebook situation is rather more complicated than most. Ironically enough, I'm also a big fan of simplicity, so it's frustrating to me that I can click just once on any other book in calibre and have it open up right away, but that doesn't work with HTMLZ books. Now I know to just convert them all to epub when I first import them, and that frustration disappears.
Why not ask whoever gives you HTMLZ for the original eBook?
Old 01-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
Why don't the calibre devs look at extending the "Tweak Epub" feature to handle htmlz as well? I would have thought the process would be very similar. After all, from what I've gleaned, all the "Tweak epub" feature does is unzips a zip file to a temporary directory, then re-zips it when one is finished making alterations...
Because HTMLZ is not ePub.