Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-25-2011, 10:04 PM   #31
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_1967 View Post
Cookie.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Authors will not self-promote on this forum - for ANY reason. They will self-promote in only one forum and that forum is the Self-Promotion Forum, and they will follow the rules for self-promotions.

Don

(Moderator)
Thanks!
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:33 PM   #32
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBird View Post

Thanks!
I have a seen a few sneek in here before but they are normally caught.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2011, 02:33 AM   #33
Susan Crealock
Online Novels
Susan Crealock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan Crealock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan Crealock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan Crealock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan Crealock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan Crealock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan Crealock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan Crealock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan Crealock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan Crealock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan Crealock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Apple iTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I think this is a very bad idea and an overreaction, and should be reconsidered.

It means duplication and confusion for members looking for the deals and freebies. Now I'll have to look through posts in numerous threads, instead of being able to quickly scan the deals section by book titles or devices.

I think it would be better to have the individuals who post affiliate links include a sentence in each post disclosing their affiliate relationship, if the powers-that-be think some kind of disclosure is truly necessary.
I couldn't agree more - I don't belong to an affiliate program because I don't want anyone dictating what I may or may not list, but if those who take the time to bring these books to our attention gain financially, then more power to them. Why make it more difficult to locate free and bargain books?
Susan Crealock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:12 AM   #34
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I don't like this new format at all. In the old way, whoever posted the book first got the affiliate link, and usually others are respectful about not posting the same books. I think we're going to get a lot more duplicates this way, and it's just going to be harder to skim through all the books and see what's out there. Koland and Arcadata spend a lot of time on this, I'm perfectly happy if they make a few bucks on it.

There's only one thing sneaky about this, and that's that people might not know that it's an affiliate link and the poster makes money. So instead of separate threads, why not disclose it IN EACH POST? Every time you put in a link with your affiliate info, you must state that your affiliate info is in there. Maybe along with a link that explains what affiliate programs are, for people who don't know. This way, the threads could stay the same and it wouldn't be hard for the posters to just paste in the same sentence every time.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:45 AM   #35
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
If this is a vote, I too disagree with this policy. I *like* the affiliate links; they don't cost me more and I like to "tip" people who find good deals for me. Why shouldn't they get some cash from Amazon for sending people their way? I never bought Kindle books until I started getting arcadata's deals, so zie deserves the commission.

If some people really don't want to follow affiliate links, it's easy enough to (a) post a disclaimer, (b) copy link, (c) paste into URL bar and remove the little tag at the end.

I would prefer everything go back to the way it was last week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
If I just want to pages of free or reduced books, I can go to Amazon directly, or Ereaderiq.com. Visits here often don't add much value for me.
You probably already know this, but the eReaderIQ links are also affiliate links. That's how they stay in business.

I prefer coming here, because this site has more than just Amazon books.

Last edited by anamardoll; 09-26-2011 at 09:47 AM.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2011, 09:48 AM   #36
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
I think this is a very bad idea and an overreaction, and should be reconsidered.

It means duplication and confusion for members looking for the deals and freebies. Now I'll have to look through posts in numerous threads, instead of being able to quickly scan the deals section by book titles or devices.

I think it would be better to have the individuals who post affiliate links include a sentence in each post disclosing their affiliate relationship, if the powers-that-be think some kind of disclosure is truly necessary.
Or have them add it to their signature - that gets copied into every message they post.

It's easy enough to remove the affiliate tag (if cloaking is not allowed) for amazon, which is about the only one that tags your session for 24 hrs.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:52 AM   #37
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm a little surprised that this decision was made based on some complaints to the mods without vetting it with the larger community? If there was a discussion thread on the issue, I didn't see it, but maybe I missed it somewhere?

I mean, the people in this thread have been pretty vocal about NOT liking the change, so it seems like the complaints were, ah, possibly not representative of the Mobile Read community as a whole.

I realize this isn't a democracy (and that's a good thing, I love Mobile Read, no complaints), but could we maybe get a vote/poll on this particular issue? I'd like my opinion in favor of the affiliate links to count as much as the people complaining about the affiliate links.

Last edited by anamardoll; 09-26-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:04 AM   #38
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
i think this is silly. i'd rather make it easier on the guys who spend so much time finding the freebies and deals. and since it doesn't cost those who click the links anything extra, and the free books are still free, i can't even imagine what people are complaining about.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:07 AM   #39
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
I'm confused. There is something morally wrong with affiliate links?

At least I won't have to keep track of the affiliate links threads, since I never buy anything from the threads posted here, I only get free stuff. So I think we need another rule that nothing I'm actually interested in can ever be posted in the affiliate link threads, since I will never read them, and I would miss it!

On a more serious note, as several others I would be very curious as to why this sudden rule change came about. "Effective immediately" is usually reserved for when bad things have happened, and the tone of the post suggests that as well. This makes it a lot harder to find bargains and deals, and in the end will only make this forum more difficult to use, not to mention that it might dissuade people from posting deals and bargains in the future if they get nothing for their hours of hard work. Or was that the point?
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:14 AM   #40
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
I'm confused. There is something morally wrong with affiliate links?
I didn't think so either, but there's an ongoing discussion here.

I guess it's more contentious than we thought?

Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
i think this is silly. i'd rather make it easier on the guys who spend so much time finding the freebies and deals. and since it doesn't cost those who click the links anything extra, and the free books are still free, i can't even imagine what people are complaining about.
I'd really like to hear the opposing side, as well. I confess to being equally puzzled.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:20 AM   #41
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Att - ic - a!!
Att - ic - a!!
Att - ic - a!!

I joke, but unless there were legal reasons for this turn of affairs, I agree that it was probably a mistake to satisfy a few malcontents without checking to see what the general attitude was toward affiliate links.

Help us understand, complainers. Please? Why so quiet?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:38 AM   #42
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookratt View Post
I was not aware of these users having an affiliate relationship with Amazon I only use their posts to acquire Amazon freebies, so how much is 4% for $0.00
It's true that we make very little from these ... so we have to make it up in volume!

Keep in mind, many links you click throughout the internet are affiliate links (including many on places like facebook and google - where original aff links can be changed for google ones, from what I've seen). Each time you click one, the person or company getting credit for your shopping changes. Amazon never charges you extra for using an affiliate link (they just pocket the extra 4%, if you don't use one).

Some ebookstores only credit thru the first purchase, so if you buy the free book, the affiliate gets nothing at all. I've only seen one promotion (in many years) that gave affiliates credit for all sales, even those that were free, as a volume bonus, so it's very, very unusual for those links to result in much income).

ps. If you are wondering why anyone bothers with those links, in that case - it's often sheer laziness; if I've already created a link on my blog, I just copy it here, if I also post that book (and I often don't, on bargain books), rather than creating a new link without the aff tags.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:38 AM   #43
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I joke, but unless there were legal reasons for this turn of affairs, I agree that it was probably a mistake to satisfy a few malcontents without checking to see what the general attitude was toward affiliate links.

Help us understand, complainers. Please? Why so quiet?

Even if there are good reasons for disclosure, surely those could have been addressed by requiring disclosure in each post that includes an affiliate link, rather than this drastic overhaul that just makes life more difficult for everyone.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:46 AM   #44
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Keep in mind, many links you click throughout the internet are affiliate links (including many on places like facebook and google - where original aff links can be changed for google ones, from what I've seen). Each time you click one, the person or company getting credit for your shopping changes. Amazon never charges you extra for using an affiliate link (they just pocket the extra 4%, if you don't use one).
Exactly. Unless you're typing in the URL each time, you're probably using someone's affiliate link. What is the issue with the people here, who are saving us time and effort by posting bargains, making a few cents per book? For a free book, they get 4 percent of nothing. For a $5 book, the commission is a whopping 20 cents. Woo-hoo!
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:48 AM   #45
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Exactly. Unless you're typing in the URL each time, you're probably using someone's affiliate link. What is the issue with the people here, who are saving us time and effort by posting bargains, making a few cents per book? For a free book, they get 4 percent of nothing. For a $5 book, the commission is a whopping 20 cents. Woo-hoo!
*quits day job*