Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 05-21-2007, 04:58 PM   #1
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Brontė, Charlotte: Shirley. v2.0 2007-06-01

Here's Charlotte Bronte's 'Shirley'.

Edited 1st June 2007. I'm posting a second version in which I have reformatted all the dashes, corrected some typos etc. This version is much easier to read.
I'm removing the original version.

I've added a picture, TOC, and done a LOT of formatting. I found the text in Project Gutenberg Australia. It was slightly corrupt and I spent most of yesterday and today with the Everyman edition in one hand a nd the mouse in the other. I did the first edit in Word and changed all the hyphens to long emdashes but this hasn't come out in the Bookdesigner version. If anyone can tell me how to do this without having to change each one individually then I'll do it. As it is, I had to add every single passage in italics individually.

Plot
Charlotte Bronte published this in 1849, though the novel is set in Yorkshire in c1810-1812, at the time of Napoleon's Continental System, which isolated British trade. There are two heroines - Caroline Helstone, a shy, penniless girl and Shirley Keeldar, a rich landowner. Both apparently love Robert Gerard Moore, a local mill-owner, whose property is threatened by rioting workers, discontented by the downturn it trade. Can the girls preserve their friendship?

At one level this can be read as a historical romance. At another, it is a seminal feminist text. It explores the question of how a woman can be fulfilled in society. The poor Caroline contemplates a future as a governess, though the vulnerability of governesses is bleakly depicted. The rich Shirley is marginalised from the other property-owners because of her sex. Marriiage is shown as a lottery - there are many abused wives. And the old maids are saintly but despised by most men. What is a woman to do?

I should point out that Charlotte Bronte's brother and two sisters died while she was writing this book and the later sections are very uneven in quality.
The Belgians are introduced because she had a crush on a Belgian teacher and, obviously hadn't got over it. The portrait of Mr Malone at the end of the book is a potrait of her future husband.

But, despite the flaws, this is, in my opinion, well worth reading.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: lrf Sony ReaderShirley v2.lrf (732.4 KB, 1453 views)

Last edited by Patricia; 06-01-2007 at 08:08 AM.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 02:25 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thanks, Patricia. I've edited the thread title to follow the convention of "surname, firstname". We're hoping to put in place an automatic indexing system for books, so it's important that everyone uses the same format for names!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2008, 08:37 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Any chance for IMP and PRC versions please?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote