Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-22-2010, 01:07 PM   #31
DavidRM
Addict
DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
You could also use total word count as a length target. Shoot for 60K-90K total words, however many stories that takes, and you have something that is roughly the same length as a novel.

I have an anthology with 13 themed short shorts in it. It's only 11K-ish words total, but it seemed to work as a package.

I have 2 other anthologies in the works. One will be just 4 stories (3 short stories and one novelette) (about 30K-40K total words). The other will be 15-20 short stories (70K total words). Originally they were going to be a single anthology, but several of the stories became their own little subset, so I decided to separate them out.

I originally wrote The Summoning Fire as a collection of 23 connected short stories. After editing, though, I'm not sure much of that is still visible. It's definitely a novel now. There are a few "chapters" in the book, though, that could function as standalone stories.

-David
DavidRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:33 PM   #32
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
DavidRM, that's actually a great idea! I just checked mine and was shocked to discover that it was only about 25k words total for my first anthology, and 26.5k for my second! I guess it's a good thing that I'm releasing it as a small format book. IE, 4x7.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert