Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-10-2012, 03:38 PM   #46
Ptaker
Enthusiast
Ptaker began at the beginning.

Device: K3 Wifi No Ads/K4 Wifi ads
Hi CL,

I found that the only way to stop the crashes is to either boot into safe mode OR go to Start -->Run -->enter msconfig and hit return --> check selective startup -->uncheck startup items --> Click okay and reboot. You will end up in the same place as safe mode.

When you are done with the Calibre, reverse the process by Run --> msconfig and hit return -->select normal startup -->ok and reboot.

I did extensive testing adding and removing startup items but nothing worked to hit the problem. If you get to the problem, please let me know.

Bob
Ptaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #47
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptaker View Post
Hi CL,

I found that the only way to stop the crashes is to either boot into safe mode OR go to Start -->Run -->enter msconfig and hit return --> check selective startup -->uncheck startup items --> Click okay and reboot. You will end up in the same place as safe mode.

When you are done with the Calibre, reverse the process by Run --> msconfig and hit return -->select normal startup -->ok and reboot.

I did extensive testing adding and removing startup items but nothing worked to hit the problem. If you get to the problem, please let me know.

Bob
That tells me either a driver or program interaction (which is why you had poor luck tripping it up).

Usual culprits:
Roll back managers
Security suites (sometime a configuration will fix)
File Shadowing (real time backup)
Malware
anti-Malware SW
Additional (different versions) of Python (change the Path variable order to place it AFTER Calibre)

Strip all the 3rd party 'helper' utilities from the startup, leaving a basic 'new' Windows config.

and good luck, these kinds are hard to find.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #48
Ptaker
Enthusiast

Hi TheDucks,

I am using the same Calibre program on both my home computer (Windows XP) and laptop (Windows7). Each has different versions of Symantec Endpoint Protection, the same Malwarebytes Anti-malware. They don't use a roll back manager and no file shadowing. I removed Calibre on one computer and added a fresh version of the portable Calibre. The program still crashes when trying to edit the Metadata.

I don't know what to do so I just live with the problem. I am not that great at modifying the programs and really don't want to fool around with the drivers. If it works, don't touch it.

Bob
Old 11-10-2012, 06:06 PM   #49
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi TheDucks,

I am using the same Calibre program on both my home computer (Windows XP) and laptop (Windows7). Each has different versions of Symantec Endpoint Protection, the same Malwarebytes Anti-malware. They don't use a roll back manager and no file shadowing. I removed Calibre on one computer and added a fresh version of the portable Calibre. The program still crashes when trying to edit the Metadata.

I don't know what to do so I just live with the problem. I am not that great at modifying the programs and really don't want to fool around with the drivers. If it works, don't touch it.

Bob
Well you have one of my combinations.
Desktop is XP SP and Laptop is W7HP (just made it dual boot to Ubuntu Quantal. Haven't tried Calibre on that release)

No yellow box protection on either system
Old 11-10-2012, 07:32 PM   #50
clittle
Zealot
clittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Hi CL,

I found that the only way to stop the crashes is to ... boot into safe mode ...

Bob
YES! That works. It's a royal pita and I doubt I'll do it very often but it should certainly provide a clue to the problem.

Good find!

CL
clittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:42 PM   #51
clittle
Zealot
clittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
That tells me either a driver or program interaction (which is why you had poor luck tripping it up).

Additional (different versions) of Python (change the Path variable order to place it AFTER Calibre)
Well I tried moving Calibre up the path by putting it ahead of PowerShell. I was reluctant to move it all the way to the front b/c of performance concerns (i.e. I didn't like the idea of searching calibre b4 everything else).

Anyway, it didn't help.

What version of Python does Calibre use? I do have an app (pyTivo) that won't run on 3.x so I am forced to use 2.x.

Kovid: Couldn't something be done make sure C uses the correct version of Python (assuming that's the problem)?

Thanks,

CL
clittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:42 PM   #52
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The only way to find these things is by disabling all the start up apps (including any that are started via things like Startup Delayer, WinPatrol etc). And then start the first one and test, if that's OK then start the second one and test ...

When you find the 'suspect' then reboot with everything disabled and start the 'suspect', if the problem occurs then you've probably found the 'culprit'. Sometimes, rarely in my experience, it can be a combination of more than one thing (ie Bobs AV & Bill's firewall).

If the 'culprit' has an exit option on its right click menu, then reboot with everything enabled, exit the 'culprit' and test Calibre - if it runs OK then you've nailed it, Now you have to decide what to do about the 'culprit', maybe just exit it (or kill it with Task Manager) before starting Calibre and start it up when you've finished with Calibre, find an alternative product ...

In my experience trying to guess what's causing these sort of problem can waste a lot of time, its much better to work methodically.

I doubt that its drivers - unless you have any odd-ball devices or a 'strange' network set up - as in this thread, where the problem was 'fixed' with a MS patch ==>> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193686

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-10-2012 at 07:45 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #53
theducks
Well trained by Cats

And NO Wacom (Tablet) Mouse connected
Old 11-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #54
Ptaker
Enthusiast

Hi BetterRead. I disabled all the startups and rebooted. Then using msconfig I mentioned above, I re-enabled groups of 5 in the startup, rebooted and tried calibre, modifying the metadata. If that did not crash I added the next 5. Guess what? After all were enabled and no crashes, I scratched my head. After returning the msconfig to normal bootup and rebooting, I tried calibre and the system crashed when playing around with the metadata.

My son said there are other things that start in regular mode and not in safe mode that don't appear in the msconfig "startup" tab. I then threw up my hands and said it was a waste of time and effort.

I am not that versed in computer programing and such to be searching for the bug. PS: I did try the debug mode but nothing showed up because the program crashed.

Bob

Last edited by Ptaker; 11-10-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:22 PM   #55
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by clittle View Post
Kovid: Couldn't something be done make sure C uses the correct version of Python (assuming that's the problem)?
calibre comes with its own python that it laways uses. It doesn't care what python you have installed on your system.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:48 AM   #56
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Now you have to decide what to do about the 'culprit', maybe just exit it (or kill it with Task Manager)
Calibre has always worked flawlessly for me until recently when it started crashing during attempts to edit metadata. I would always get an error message that 'Calibre has stopped working' and suggestions to either close the program or let Windows find a solution. I just closed it, but then the same thing would happen the next time I tried to edit a book's metadata.

Yesterday I decided to try running Task Manager and ending any processes that I thought 'might' be interfering with my Calibre software. It worked and I was able to successfully edit metadata on several books with no crashes. I didn't reboot or anything -- and being somewhat challenged with this stuff, wasn't really sure what I was doing lol.

Then I decided to come here to see if there were any others experiencing my problem and to search for perhaps a more permanent solution. Adding and converting books has always worked just fine -- it was only the editing part that caused me headaches, but I can live with working with Calibre in 'safe mode' or using Task Manager prior to starting up Calibre.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #57
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
Calibre has always worked flawlessly for me until recently when it started crashing during attempts to edit metadata. I would always get an error message that 'Calibre has stopped working' and suggestions to either close the program or let Windows find a solution. I just closed it, but then the same thing would happen the next time I tried to edit a book's metadata.

Yesterday I decided to try running Task Manager and ending any processes that I thought 'might' be interfering with my Calibre software. It worked and I was able to successfully edit metadata on several books with no crashes. I didn't reboot or anything -- and being somewhat challenged with this stuff, wasn't really sure what I was doing lol.

Then I decided to come here to see if there were any others experiencing my problem and to search for perhaps a more permanent solution. Adding and converting books has always worked just fine -- it was only the editing part that caused me headaches, but I can live with working with Calibre in 'safe mode' or using Task Manager prior to starting up Calibre.
A very tiny number of people have your kind of edit problem, making it almost unique to your configuration.

BTW have you just tried waiting out the Not Responding message?

I see this all the time on my clunky, old system. It (the hardware) is just too busy at the moment, and the message clears and all is good .
Old 11-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #58
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@DianNC: Since you say that killing processes on your system cures the issue, it seems that some proccess is interfering with calibre. If you spend the time to do it systematically, i.e. one by one till you discover the culprit, you can then remove/uninstall that software from your computer and your problems will cease.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #59
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
BTW have you just tried waiting out the Not Responding message?
I did when it first started happening and you are right, it eventually responded. Then, yesterday during one of the crashes, Calibre just disappeared lol. It was there one second...gone the next.

I'm a happy camper with the solution I've got working so far. This laptop is gasping its last breath and I'm so looking forward to installing Calibre on a new machine in the near future.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #60
DianNC
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@DianNC: Since you say that killing processes on your system cures the issue, it seems that some proccess is interfering with calibre. If you spend the time to do it systematically, i.e. one by one till you discover the culprit, you can then remove/uninstall that software from your computer and your problems will cease.
There are only two that I've installed recently (iTunes and Roboform) and the crashes seem to have started subsequent to that. I shut both those down and I'm embarrassed to say I have no idea if either could have been causing the crashes or if it's just a coincidence. I'll try your suggestion today, though and thank you.