Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #16
calibrated
Zealot
calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire w/Aldiko
The moral of the story: use Calibre, make friends with Apprentice Alf, disinfect every ebook file you have and keep backup copies somewhere that you have control. Don't rely on companies being around forever.
calibrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:27 AM   #17
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibrated View Post
The moral of the story: use Calibre, make friends with Apprentice Alf, disinfect every ebook file you have and keep backup copies somewhere that you have control. Don't rely on companies being around forever.
Exactly.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:30 PM   #18
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Off Topic

Quote:
The moral of the story: use Calibre, make friends with Apprentice Alf, disinfect every ebook file you have and keep backup copies somewhere that you have control.
  1. That is illegal in most countries. — Luckily not the one I live in.
  2. That won't make Amazons behaviour any better. My rant is not about rescuing my books but how Amazon treads me as a customer.
  3. Better buy at smashword or beam-ebooks save yourself the hassle and support shops which sell DRM free.

Knowing how to use MobiDeDRM does mean I forgive Amazon for treating Mobipocket customers like shit.

Quote:
Don't rely on companies being around forever.
But Mobipocket didn't go bust. While being a good advice it it does not apply to the situation surrounding Mobipocket.
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:06 PM   #19
calibrated
Zealot
calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krischik View Post
  1. That is illegal in most countries. — Luckily not the one I live in.
  2. That won't make Amazons behaviour any better. My rant is not about rescuing my books but how Amazon treads me as a customer.
  3. Better buy at smashword or beam-ebooks save yourself the hassle and support shops which sell DRM free.

Knowing how to use MobiDeDRM does mean I forgive Amazon for treating Mobipocket customers like shit.

But Mobipocket didn't go bust. While being a good advice it it does not apply to the situation surrounding Mobipocket.
My mistake. I interpreted your comments as a complaint that you would no longer have access to your books. If that is not the case, I apologize for the misunderstanding.

As for the legality of converting materials for personal use *only*, opinions vary. It hasn't yet been tested in court in the jurisdiction where I live, so it's still a gray area as far as I'm concerned. As a practical matter, I will continue to take steps to ensure that I will enjoy continued access to the materials I have purchased with my own money. As the man says, your mileage may vary.

As for Amazon, if you don't like them, don't buy from them. There are other options out there. When I'm treated badly by a company, I don't do business with them again.

And finally, as for only purchasing DRM-free materials, that is not really possible if you want to have access to the latest works of many authors. However, it's an admirable goal if you can swing it.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:35 PM   #20
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Quote:
It hasn't yet been tested in court in the jurisdiction where I live
Switzerland legalized DRM removal for personal use in 2007. Was part of an accessibility bill.

Quote:
As for Amazon, if you don't like them, don't buy from them.
I do that for three years or so.

Quote:
And finally, as for only purchasing DRM-free materials, that is not really possible if you want to have access to the latest works of many authors.
Material which it is DRM infested is almost always also regional restricted. Don't get me going…
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:04 PM   #21
calibrated
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by krischik View Post
Material which it is DRM infested is almost always also regional restricted. Don't get me going…
I'm going to venture a guess that we share identical opinions on the subject of artificially geo-restricted materials in a globalized digital age.

Tags
amazon, mobipocket