Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-05-2011, 09:25 PM   #1
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Unhappy Replacing Default Font?

I'm trying to replace the default font on my PRS 950 using this guide here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ht=fontcreator

But it's not going well for me. I've stall on Step 3 -- I've copied over the SD card files to an SD card and slapped it into the device, and nothing happens. Sony reader just sits there and looks at me like, "what?"

I turned the device off and booted it up with the SD card in, still no joy. Maybe because this is a guide for the 505 model and I have a 950? I dunno why I thought this was device agnostic, but maybe it isn't.

Any help that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:06 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I'm trying to replace the default font on my PRS 950 using this guide here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ht=fontcreator

But it's not going well for me. I've stall on Step 3 -- I've copied over the SD card files to an SD card and slapped it into the device, and nothing happens. Sony reader just sits there and looks at me like, "what?"

I turned the device off and booted it up with the SD card in, still no joy. Maybe because this is a guide for the 505 model and I have a 950? I dunno why I thought this was device agnostic, but maybe it isn't.

Any help that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
The directions are for changing the default fonts in BBeB (LRF). They don't have anything to do with the default ePub fonts. So even if the directions worked, they would not be all that useful. And the directions given won't actually work on a 950.

Do you know how to strip DRM from ePub? If you do, it's very easy to use CSS code in the ePub to embed fonts stored on the 950 itself. I can give you a hand with that.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:19 PM   #3
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
I am not technical and just went through this on my 950.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=134914

It's a short thread with step by step instructions.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:13 AM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I linked to a post where Jack attached a PDF file. Follow the link from advocate2 and then read Jack's PDF and hopefully it will make more sense.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1568254
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:27 AM   #5
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate2 View Post
I am not technical and just went through this on my 950.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=134914

It's a short thread with step by step instructions.
Am I wrong? It looks like this set of instructions means one also has to change the CSS in every single one of their ePub books?

That would be 350+ ePubs in my case -- prohibitive.

Similarly, Jack's process has the same "must open every ePub file for changes", if I'm not mistaken. I was REALLY hoping for a "one-time" solution.

@JSWolf, wow, thanks for the clarification. I didn't see anything in that guide to indicate that it wouldn't work for epubs, so... thank you for the clarification.

Last edited by anamardoll; 06-06-2011 at 08:30 AM.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:42 AM   #6
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Am I wrong? It looks like this set of instructions means one also has to change the CSS in every single one of their ePub books?
No.
The method in mentioned thread is based on PRS+ firmware enhancment.
First install PRS+, then copy some ttf-fonts to a folder in reades IM, create/copy/modify at least on CSS file and set this via PRS+ book-options.
See post #8 in mentioned thread.

In most cases the so set CSS overruls the embedde formats in the epub.
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:47 AM   #7
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
Ana,

It looks like this set of instructions means one also has to change the CSS in every single one of their ePub books?

I was worried about the same thing. The answer is that you don't have to do each book.

If you use the installer of PRS Plus on to your 950, it creates a folder called PRS+ that has a subfolder called "epub" that has a subfile ending in ".css". If you right click the file, you'll see a variety of options. Choose "Edit". Then you change the file with the language in my link. Save it as userstyle.css. Turn on your Reader. Go to the PRS+ settings and select the file you just saved. When you open your epubs, they should all have the new font you selected.

Make sure you created a folder called "fonts" on your Reader and copied the fonts you want to use into that folder.

Last edited by advocate2; 06-06-2011 at 08:49 AM.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:12 AM   #8
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Awesome, thank you for the clarification. I'll try this tonight when I get home from work.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:45 PM   #9
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Hey, hey! Flashed it tonight and it seemed to work. Thank you!

The only thing I don't care for is I liked having the "Collections" on the home page. Now it's "Browse Folders" and "Book History". Is there any way to change "Browse Folders" to "Collections" in the PRS+ menu settings? Thanks!
Old 06-06-2011, 11:16 PM   #10
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Under PRS+ Settings, select Menu Customizer, and you can change what will show in the bottom 3 slots on the home page.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote