Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-20-2010, 09:21 PM   #1
jerome
Enthusiast
jerome has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jerome has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jerome has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jerome has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Entourage Edge, Dell Streak
Dual e-ink screen ereader

(Source here)

Two-page e-reader looks and feels more like a traditional book

With most e-readers you get only a single page at a time, rather than two opposing pages like you would see in a traditional paper book. This dual screen e-reader fixes that problem, making the whole experience another step closer to reading a good old-fashioned paper book.

Created by French designer Karim Zaouai, the Digital eBook feels like a lightweight hardcover book in your hands, and you flip through the pages by simply pushing the two screens slightly together. A row of buttons along the edges of the display control other functions, and when you fold it shut, the clamshell design provides much better screen protection than most e-readers.

This isn't the first dual screen e-reader we've seen, but I'm pretty sure it's the first one that mimics the form of a real book. Zaouai says that he want to "examine our relationship between the digital and analog", and to "highlight the intuitive interface and our relationship to concrete objects". Whatever, I just think it looks cool.

See it in action here
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:29 PM   #2
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Thanks for the post, it looks cool! What's next? An ereader with paper odor? I can imagine the commercial: "now with odor to 12th century parchment."
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:55 PM   #3
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Normally, I wouldn't give the north end of a south bound furry rodent whether I had one or two pages in front of me. In fact, most of the time, one screen is easier to handle. But it could be handy for the occasional map, charts, etc. that span across two side by side pages. I doubt that would be enough of an advantage often enough to offset the advantage of an easier to handle single screen. Now if one could have two separate books displayed on each screen, that would be a whole 'nother story.

Too many people expect e-book readers to emulate p-books instead of just concentrating on reading. I would imagine there was the same conflict as the switch from scrolls to books was taking place.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:07 PM   #4
Clancy_s
Zealot
Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I would be concerned that the hinge would be an extra weak point.
Clancy_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:58 PM   #5
Kaitou Ace
Zealot
Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I like the idea, and if one gets made, i would probably seriously consider picking it up. But this is a non functioning mock-up, the screen effects were obviously done in post.
Kaitou Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:55 AM   #6
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitou Ace View Post
I like the idea, and if one gets made, i would probably seriously consider picking it up. But this is a non functioning mock-up, the screen effects were obviously done in post.
Precisely. We've seen plenty of interesting and some quite compelling designer mockups for years, but they are nothing but mockups by people who are not actually doing product design and who are often ignorant of little details like physics and engineering/manufacturing realities.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:07 AM   #7
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
Personally, I find one of the biggest advantages of an e-reader is the single screen and not having to switch one's point of focus and physical grip to cater for a left-hand/right-hand page reading experience.

A paper book has two pages because it is the most efficient use of the paper. An e-reader has one screen because it is the most efficient method for e-reading.

Maybe I am wrong and there are loads of you out there traumatised by the lack of the left/right page reading experience in an e-reader.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:30 AM   #8
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
After its ability to hold my entire library at one time, the most important part of my ereader is how it is easy to hold and carry around. This device will require 2-handed reading, especially if you need to push the pages closer together to turn the page. It seems a step backward to me.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:34 AM   #9
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
I could certainly see a product like this being very popular for many people who like to have that 'classic feel' rather than vertical-scrolling.

Not sure I'd go with their idea of changing pages by folding the unit in - would be vastly more durable to have a little button on the top and/or bottom outer corners of the frame to induce the back/forward turning.

Paul.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:36 AM   #10
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by church mouse View Post
Personally, I find one of the biggest advantages of an e-reader is the single screen and not having to switch one's point of focus and physical grip to cater for a left-hand/right-hand page reading experience.

A paper book has two pages because it is the most efficient use of the paper. An e-reader has one screen because it is the most efficient method for e-reading.

Maybe I am wrong and there are loads of you out there traumatised by the lack of the left/right page reading experience in an e-reader.
A folding double-screened device gives you more viewable area without sacrificing much portability, if executed well. There are many advantages to a dual-screen format for literature outside of disposable fiction (where a single pane is usually more than sufficient, assuming no big spread images). Sadly, decent execution of such a device is apparently beyond the means of manufacturers today and probably for at least a few years to come.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:39 AM   #11
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
A big upside of having a dual-screen clamshell configuration is that you will be able to get a massive battery life increase due to one pane being able to be used almost exclusively for the cell.

I do like the protectionism aspect as well when closed. No more accidental punctures.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:22 AM   #12
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPLD View Post
A big upside of having a dual-screen clamshell configuration is that you will be able to get a massive battery life increase due to one pane being able to be used almost exclusively for the cell.

I do like the protectionism aspect as well when closed. No more accidental punctures.
+1

Personally, I think that I'll have one if they come out. That said, I'll also keep the one-page-screen reader as well.
Preferrably, I would actually have the (preordered) Kindle 3 as my travel device and I'd like a double A4-size (no, not american letter-size) to use with, for instance, a mapping ebook or other "big-screen-requiring" technical epublications.

Oh, and of course in colour
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:29 AM   #13
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Although it looks cool it's not for me.
I do like the one-hand reading experience with todays ereaders. Having a two-side ereader seems to be one step back to paper book reading one-handed with the same old problem. Did you notice that the man's always using both hands? I'm looking forward to new advanced reading experiences more than trying to make ereaders feel like paper.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:12 AM   #14
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by church mouse View Post

That's it! (the bolded part).

And holding a book with 2 hands gets very tiring... The current e-readers you can switch hands, when one of them gets tired...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:17 AM   #15
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Too many people expect e-book readers to emulate p-books instead of just concentrating on reading.
I think I could associate myself with this type of thinking to a certain degree. Reading is mostly what we read but it is a process too. It is not only an input of raw info. Why do people like to read a book curling up in an armchair next to a fireplace with a glass of wine?

Most likely I would not go for 2 pages ebook reader but I do appreciate a form factor of ebook reader I own. It must remind me of a real book, instead of yelling at my face I AM a GADGET! That's why Kindle was never an option for me with its h/w keyboard or Nook with a secondary LCD screen.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote