Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-28-2010, 01:52 AM   #1
nimble
nimble began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 300
What have I done?

My reader is currently stuck cycling between the off, start up and the home page (frozen with the arrow rotating.) I plugged it into the computer without switching it off first and loaded some books onto it from Calibre, charged the battery, and haven't been able to get it working since.

Is it fixable? Can anyone point me in the way of some help?

(Sorry, will try to stop panicking now!)
nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:23 AM   #2
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Can you charge it from an AC charger to see if the PC has not drained the battery?

I know this is a common issue with USB from PC charging. The PC goes into sleep or hibernate mode and the USB power is cut off, draining the reader's battery.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2010, 02:31 AM   #3
nimble

Thanks for replying Sabredog. It wasn't flat to begin with, and it ought to be full now as I've had it on the AC charger since taking it off the computer, just in case that helped. I've tried the reset button too, and it's still just switching between those 3 pages.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:19 AM   #4
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
There've been multiple posts that sometimes you have to perform reset a couple of times. Most of the times (after some resets), most of the readers came back to life.
Give it a shot.

Good luck
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:43 AM   #5
nimble

Is there any particulartrick with the resetting? I'm just pressing the button with a toothpick and sliding the on/off switch occasionally..

I guess if that doesn't work, I try a hard reset?
Advert
Old 06-28-2010, 06:39 AM   #6
nimble

Phew, ok seems to be fixed now. I had to plug into the computer and hold the on/off button constantly until the computer registered the device, then was able to go in through Explorer and remove the corrupt file/s, basically everything I added today just in case.

Big thanks to this thread! https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78891

So relieved! I love love love my reader!
Old 06-28-2010, 07:19 AM   #7
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Good to hear it worked out
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:43 AM   #8
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Great news! I would be a little lost without my Sony
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:59 AM   #9
snowshoe1
snowshoe1 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Help I'm not very computer literate. I have a sony prs-300, I bought 18 books from the sony e-book store, did not have a problem, started having problems loading the last 2 but they finally loaded, then the last book, would not load. It seems the trouble started after I down loaded the newest version. Now I can not even get to the library site. I uninstalled & reinstalled several times. Same problem. What makes me really ticked is I paid 12.99 for the last book, that I can't download, as I can't get to my acct. at the library. Any suggestions? My son-in-law says "some people shouldn't own computers" I think he meant me. lol
snowshoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:55 PM   #10
nimble

Thanks guys!

Snowshoe, how frustrating. So the reader is working but you can't access the library site and the book won't download. Hmm, I'd be inclined to contact the library support. Are you in the US or somewhere where you can get phone support from Sony, or email them? I haven't used their site, so I'm not familiar with how it works.

Or you could try searching here to see if others have had the same problem - worked for me yesterday!

Have you seen the books available here too? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebooks.php?forumid=126 These are all formatted for Sony readers.

Good luck!

Have you
Old 07-29-2010, 02:06 PM   #11
terryh60
terryh60 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs300
Hi Nimble could you explain how exactly you removed the corrupt files and how did you know which ones were corrupted?
Apologies for my lack of knowledge
Many Thanks
terryh60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:40 PM   #12
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimble View Post
Is there any particulartrick with the resetting? I'm just pressing the button with a toothpick and sliding the on/off switch occasionally..

I guess if that doesn't work, I try a hard reset?
The reset procedure for Sony Readers is kluge. As I recall you have to hold the On/Off switch on while pressing the Reset button. As Mike_73 stated, it often requires more than one Reset.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:20 AM   #13
nimble

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryh60 View Post
Hi Nimble could you explain how exactly you removed the corrupt files and how did you know which ones were corrupted?
Apologies for my lack of knowledge
Many Thanks
Initially my computer wouldn't register the device, but I found that if I held the on/off button continuously while plugging it in to the computer and waiting for the computer to register it, I was then able to use explorer to find the device and it's contents, then I just deleted everything I'd downloaded that day, straight from the folder I had open on the computer. Does that make sense?

It did mess up by bookmarks and some other details, but at least I could read again!

Good luck!

Last edited by nimble; 07-30-2010 at 01:22 AM.