Notices

Old 01-30-2011, 02:28 PM   #1
Alda
Zealot
Alda began at the beginning.

Device: none
Lines disappearing in E-book viewer

Hello,

I've edited my eBook in Sigil and then opened it in Calibre, E-book viewer. Even though it's fine in Sigil, in Calibre there are lines that go missing. (I've attached a screen shot - see near the bottom of the page.)

What happens to those lines, and will it look like this once the book is loaded onto a reading device?

Thanks!

Alda
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot calibre.png
Views:	291
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	65783  
Alda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:38 PM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
I see a blank line, but I'm not sure if it's supposed to say "A devil's the same"....

The Calibre viewer should be fine for reading, and if there is indeed text missing it would help to see the html code for those lines of the book. That said, if you want to see how this would look on your reader, you're better off using Adobe Digital Editions, which is what the software on your Reader is probably based off of. Calibre's viewer (and Sigil's) use QT, which provides good general html rendering capabilities, but QT has a different set of Quirks (and more html rendering features) than most ebook readers, so I wouldn't trust it to show me exactly how things will look on my reader.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alda View Post
Hello,

I've edited my eBook in Sigil and then opened it in Calibre, E-book viewer. Even though it's fine in Sigil, in Calibre there are lines that go missing. (I've attached a screen shot - see near the bottom of the page.)

What happens to those lines, and will it look like this once the book is loaded onto a reading device?

Thanks!

Alda
It would help to see the code from the paragraph that shows before to the end of the paragraph after . (so we can see the transition stuff)

Could the be a color (white font) issue?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:46 PM   #4
Alda
Zealot

Thanks for the quick responses.

@Idolse - I don't actually have a Reader so I can't test this - I live in a part of the world where they haven't caught on and downloading e-books is virtually unheard of.

@theducks - I can't see that the code differs from the previous paragraphs, or any other paragraph, really. It looks like this:

Quote:
<p class="c-meginm-l sgc-4 sgc-3">In other words, the optimism is probably a long-term survival strategy. After all, through the centuries of hardship and geographical isolation that the Icelandic nation has had to endure, defeat was not an option – it was stand together, fight together, or die (bloody family feuds notwithstanding). And fighting naturally incorporates optimism – you have to believe there is something worth fighting for.</p>

<p class="c-meginm-l sgc-4 sgc-3">And this knowledge somehow became ingrained into the DNA of the Icelandic people.</p>

<p class="c-meginm-l sgc-4 sgc-3">Mind you, this is just my own homegrown theory. A devil’s advocate would probably ask why other Nordic nations are not the same – why there isn’t the same prevalence of optimism there. To which I really don’t have an answer.</p>
I'm completely baffled ...
Old 01-30-2011, 04:52 PM   #5
Alda
Zealot

OK, very bizarre. I tried widening the window in Calibre, and the missing text appeared like magic.

So clearly the text is there.

Can anyone make an educated guess as to whether it would appear "normally" in a proper reader?
Advert
Old 01-30-2011, 05:09 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
OK, very bizarre. I tried widening the window in Calibre, and the missing text appeared like magic.

So clearly the text is there.

Can anyone make an educated guess as to whether it would appear "normally" in a proper reader?
TNX for posting the code
ODD

Did it flow or go off to the right first?
You might replace (in Code View) the space after "Devil's" just in case some odd non printing character is there. Something is hanging the "flow"
Old 01-30-2011, 06:04 PM   #7
Alda
Zealot

When I widened it, it widened off to the right along with the window. Then when I moved it back to the left it narrowed along with the window, then appeared as normal.

So bizarre.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:34 PM   #8
Alda
Zealot

OK - I've figured out that it has something to do with justified text.

If I go back into Sigil and remove the justifying option, then the lines appear as normal.

The problem then is that some chapters of the book are justified, and some are not.

- Anyone have any solutions?

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2011, 06:40 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
OK - I've figured out that it has something to do with justified text.

If I go back into Sigil and remove the justifying option, then the lines appear as normal.

The problem then is that some chapters of the book are justified, and some are not.

- Anyone have any solutions?

Thanks!
As you said Bizarre

Are you using Sigil to Justify (SGC3 or SGC4 style code at the top) or is
c-meginm-l set to text-align: justify in the style sheet?
Old 01-30-2011, 06:48 PM   #10
Alda
Zealot

I was using Sigil to justify - I'm not that comfortable yet with code.

However, as you point out, the code specifies that it should justify:

Quote:
p.c-meginm-l {
font-family: "Baskerville";
line-height: 1.50em;
font-size: 1.00em;
margin-bottom: 0.00em;
margin-top: 0.00em;
text-indent: 0.71em;
margin-right: 0.00em;
margin-left: 0.00em;
text-align: justify;
font-weight: normal;
font-style: normal;
color: rgb(0,0,0);
I'm puzzled as to why some chapters are justified (and look fine, i.e. no disappearing lines) and some are not. As I said, I've removed the justify from those chapters ... so now there is a lack of consistency, but the lines are all there.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:40 PM   #11
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
You might want to try re-converting epub to epub with Calibre after adding the justification rules in Sigil. Sigil works by sticking it's own css at the top of every chapter/flow of the book, if you re-convert with Calibre I believe it should merge these together into a single css entry. That might fix whatever QT bug you're seeing.

If you don't have a reading device but want to know how it will look whenever you finally get one, Adobe Digital Editions is still something you can download which will give you a more reliable idea about that.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:17 AM   #12
Alda
Zealot

OK, thanks much. I'll give that a try.