Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-02-2010, 03:21 PM   #1
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
My personal 2 annoyances

I really like my reader a lot. It perfectly fits my needs except for 2 annoyances.

1. The reader has an installer partition which I would like to get rid off. I can see that Sony saves on installation disks if they put the installer on the reader, but why does this have to be on an extra partition which I cannot easily merge to the main memory?
I would rather have those extra couple of MB for putting books. I also hate that the installer partition pops up as an extra drive-letter on my pc.

2. PDF zooming is one of the main reasons I bought the reader for. As far as zooming goes, I just love the function. I'm ok that the zoom goes back to one page view when turning a page, but I hate that once you zoom, the page goes to the center of the page. To get an overview over the page you're turning to, I think the one page view on page turns is a viable option. But once you zoom in, how likely is it, that the content you want to read is dead center on the page.

So I wish I could just merge the installer partition with the main memory and have the default zoom behaviour as settings. So to say I would love to see that I can set whether or not the zoom level stays the same when I turn a page for one. The other is, I would either want to set that my page starts e.g. left upper corner/right upper/...lower corner, etc. when I zoom in, or that when I do the first zoom on a page, that I first specify where I want to zoom in on and then how much I want to zoom.

Ok, so this is what I really dislike about my reader.
And I hope that either Sony reads the forum to pick up some feedback so they can improve their gadgets or that the FW gets optimized by private persons to get similar stuff going like PRS+ on the 505.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:36 PM   #2
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_73 View Post
I really like my reader a lot. It perfectly fits my needs except for 2 annoyances.

Ok, so this is what I really dislike about my reader.
And I hope that either Sony reads the forum to pick up some feedback so they can improve their gadgets or that the FW gets optimized by private persons to get similar stuff going like PRS+ on the 505.

I do believe they read! But listening?
All of us 700 owners have been begging for a firmware update to give us the dictionary that the 600 & 900 have. It doesn't seem like such an impossible thing to do, but we're still waiting and hoping and waiting still!
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2010, 07:26 AM   #3
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Actually, I rather wait on a Firmware hack. The 505 was well supported.
If I think back to the FW updates that came from Sony, the only thing they came up with was the epub thing (obviously not that important for me as I mostly read pdfs). And that was probably only to boost sales of their own online store. All the other things like the dictionary and such was going into new devices instead of supporting allready 6 months old units. Why keep the customer happy with an old device if he can just purchase a new one???
Old 04-07-2010, 12:49 PM   #4
Mike_73
Guru

Aah, just remembered the 3rd annoyance. I'm greatly missing to organize my books right on the reader instead having to use a software. I would love to put my books into collections on the reader. Should be easy to fix as files also can be deleted right from within a book.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:28 AM   #5
Meine
Meine began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-600
Biggest annoyance for me is a missing decent PDF 'engine' on it. I would <3 at least some sort of code that would make my pdf's a bit more uniform when displaying while using a larger font size.

Other thing that would be nice is a more reliable battery display; mine can go hours on two bars and suddenly be empty while other times I get more correct information about the battery capabilities.
Meine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2010, 11:52 AM   #6
Mike_73
Guru

I don't know if my battery meter indicates the correct battery level, but at least it's very consistent. I did test how long it runs without completely powering down for 4 weeks, and I had to recharge it every Sunday. Now I'm going with completely shut off for the night, and so far in my 1st week of doing so have about 11 days. Only thing about that what I don't like is, that I have to wait until the book "booted" when I turn it on. So I guess I prefer charging every week instead of having to boot.

About PDF engine, I think I'm pretty ok with it. I would just prefer if authors/distributors would care a little more about "column-flow" (sorry, I don't know the proper term). Sometimes I read a column at the beginning, and then all of a sudden I'm at the end of an article and after that I find the rest. So I rather use the zoom and pan option instead of the font size increase (which I would like, too).
Old 04-10-2010, 08:03 PM   #7
conundrum
Enthusiast
conundrum began at the beginning.

Device: prs-600
I am annoyed by the "grey bar of doom" PDF spanning "feature"...
i mean why not just have a little black dot or something, not lose 1/6th of the display area to gibberish because it won't fit on one page.
Come on Sony, do something about this please? :-(
conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:49 AM   #8
Mike_73
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by conundrum View Post
I am annoyed by the "grey bar of doom" PDF spanning "feature"...
Do you mean the zoom bar and the scroll up/dwn left/right indicators on the screen while zoomed in?
If yes, I totally agree. It's absolutely okay to have onscreen buttons to navigate and zoom, but it could just be more "see through". Not that this would be perfect, but completely blanking out a part of the anyways small display (I would prefer a 9"er, but obviously sony thinks different with the 900 which I find a rather odd display size) is kind of a bad user interface.