Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-30-2008, 02:13 PM   #16
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
They take an interesting approach to wireless at my office. Rather than having a WPA password that they have to distribute the wireless is fully open. However, it is outside of the firewall in the DMZ as they call it. So, if you connect to it in the office you can surf the web and such, but can't get to the internal stuff. If you want to do that you have to use the VPN. Of course, the VPN is secure end-to-end so even though the wireless is open, the traffic is encrypted.

I am aware of several places that do this. However, if you are talking about a reader I doubt it would be able to run the VPN software.

Anyway... I think the security risk with a WiFi device... assuming they are running WPA is weeker in the device it self. You steal the reader you've got access to everything on it. These things don't have security at all from what I understand. So, unless you are talking about ONLY using it as sort of a dumb terminal browser I don't think it would be the best choice for a portable browser device for say a Dr. or Lawyer's office.

BOb

I think we are talking about two different types of security here. One, the unauthorized access of sensitive data (which is what has been talked about so far). Wifi with strong encryption is quite good enough for that. The second security is unauthorized tracking data. And that is inherent to a Wifi setup. Things like spyware, or vicinity tracking. Maybe it's the Cave-man in me, but I don't choose to allow marketers to track what I'm currently reading, or people to see at what Wifi hot-spot my reader is at. I will cheerfully pay the price of loading files from my PC for this privelege.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 02:17 PM   #17
bob_ninja
Addict
bob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enough

Device: Zire71
Well you do bring up an important point. At this price level ($700+) it is competing with a number of laptops which have far more functionality. For the moment we'll put the screen type and how it is easier on eyes aside.

Laptop will certainly do much more and include Wifi and other ports at no extra cost. Screen size is comparable too. In fact, for some/many people laptop makes more sense when using more interactive apps like browsing and e-mail.

However, for the most part laptops are limited to 2-3 hour run time. Sure there are bigger batteries and carrying extra batteries, etc. However when using my own laptop even for the most mundane tasks I am always worrying about the battery and how much longer do I have. I find it very limiting, especially when on the move.

Even if I had a small one that is not much bigger than a reader, can I just use it any place for hours? With the reader I no longer have to worry about battery making it much more mobile. My laptop is like having an anchor that keeps it close to an outlet and charger. Very frustrating.

So I agree that for many people a laptop will be more appropriate at the price level. However, I still think these devices have a market as well.
bob_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 02:25 PM   #18
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
With #1, do you mean printing from a PC to the DR as a network printer, or printing from the DR to another network printer? I know they've said you can print to it but I don't know if that will work over WiFi or if it's only as a USB connected device. Printing from it would be interesting. I don't know if they'll support that, but it sounds possible with third party software.
I was referring to printing from the DR.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 02:26 PM   #19
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do you mean people like doctors and so on? Modern WiFi security is pretty "robust" isn't it? Not much likelyhood of your data being intercepted, I wouldn't have thought.
The security at places like conferences and hotels are pretty non existent.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 02:52 PM   #20
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Perhaps a better way to phrase it is that for $750 I want a complimentary device, not a subordinate one. The DR cannot be used without a PC. I want a device that can do some of the document editing functions of a PC; upload and download documents directly from the source (email, printer, NAS) and does not need the PC to accomplish this.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:56 PM   #21
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Printing from it would be interesting. I don't know if they'll support that, but it sounds possible with third party software.
This is possible from a Nokia N800, which seems to be an approximately equivalent device at the basic Linux level. On the N800, it seems to be relatively easy if you already have a CUPS (Common UNIX Printing System) server on the network, otherwise the N800 needs to run its own CUPS server.

Printing via bluetooth might also be an option.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:46 PM   #22
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
I was thinking either cups and/or samba. The iLiad is already acting as a samba client, I believe, which is how it syncs documents with a PC via wifi (and probably the DR will too). In theory it should be possible to connect to a samba shared network printer as well. You'd just need a way of sending the print job, but there are basic linux command line tools that can do that. I would assume those tools will work with shell access.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:18 PM   #23
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Sounds like you should have waited for the SW to be released.
I'm not getting any of them. I will not buy complicated delicate electronics from a company so lacking in customer service. This was one of the reasons I did not buy an Iliad. (Somehow I made myself forget the lack of CS when I ordered the DR1000S.)
Old 09-30-2008, 10:47 PM   #24
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Did you cancel your order then, Nate? Did you already say that and I missed it?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:52 AM   #25
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I don't know that I will be able to cancel the order. That event is dependent upon Irex responding to a customer. It might never happen.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:01 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Perhaps a better way to phrase it is that for $750 I want a complimentary device, not a subordinate one. The DR cannot be used without a PC. I want a device that can do some of the document editing functions of a PC; upload and download documents directly from the source (email, printer, NAS) and does not need the PC to accomplish this.
Sounds like you'd be better off with a Tablet PC.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:17 AM   #27
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
Nate, the posts title is "My Opinion of the DR1000". Wouldnt it have been better to write "My Opinion of the DR1000S"?

Gogolo
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:57 AM   #28
smp_iliad
Connoisseur
smp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-books

Device: KindleDX, iPhone3Gs
My experience with Iliad tells me that it doesn't make sense to compare the device to laptops or tablet pc. Though iLiad and 1000sw does support wifi, the internet access is too unreliable and slow. I think 1000sw will not change that because eInk is not responsive enough for a convient browsing or emailing.

Still, iLiad and RD1000 will serve me for a single purpose: to read lots of long technical papers and books. I think that should be THE reason to buy this expensive device. Otherwise, you will be disappointed.
smp_iliad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:53 AM   #29
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I was one of the first to order a DR1000S... I'm not getting any of them... Somehow I made myself forget the lack of CS when I ordered the DR1000S.
Now I'm just confused.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:19 PM   #30
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Now I'm just confused.
Nate seems to be (understandably) annoyed that iRex is ignoring his order.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote