Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 03-25-2013, 06:21 AM   #511
Anvar
Anvar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hello, thanks so much for this wonderful plugin.

I have a couple of questions which I hope you can answer.

1. You say that we should be careful or Goodreads will ban the plugin, but it seems that it is only when adding to shelves on Goodreads. I am currently trying to get my Calibre library under control, and so I am linking to Goodreads. I am not syncing my books to Goodreads, so no adding to shelves. Is this a problem? If so, I'll limit myself to 500 books a day, would that be too many?

2. When linking to Goodreads, I do blocks of 50 books at a time. Sometimes the plugin comes up with more than one result and I have to manually click each one to see what link gets me the most book info. Would it be possible to add format and isbn to the link box, that would make it easier to decide, and would lessen the load on Goodread's servers.

Thank you again, I don't know where I would be without this plugin.

Kind regards,
Peter Prendal
Anvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #512
jamadams
Connoisseur
jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Touch, Sony PRS-505, 600 & Librié
I'm having the same problem with authorisation. Goodreads does not respond as it should to the oauth request. I've contacted support at Goodreads. I'll let you know what they say.
jamadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #513
rifka
Enthusiast
rifka began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, iPad, Sony, Kobo
Kiwidude just to update you. I still can't authorize.

I have been using this plugin for months and am only having to redo this because I had to reformat my harddrive. I have 2 goodreads accounts (only 1 of which I actually use). I thought one was going to let me authorize but the one time it gave me the authorization page and I said yes, the plugin came back with "The request contacting Goodreads has failed. Please try again ".

I have revoked access from all previous authorizations. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the plugin. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Calibre. I have tried Firefox, IE and even Chrome. And I have reset my browsing history before retrying in each of them.

I tried on a different computer and it didn't work. I tried setting up a new Goodreads account and that didn't work.

I have sent an email to Goodreads almost 2 days ago with no response.

This is so frustrating I can't even tell you. Other than "contact goodreads" does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank youfor your help.
rifka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #514
danwdoo
Groupie
danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Sad to say I'm getting the same thing. I purchased a new computer and installed Calibre and the plugin. When I hit register, it just brings up my normal Goodreads page. I removed the old registration for my old computer under the apps section and now the old computer fails as well and won't re-register. Removing and reinstalling the plugin on either machine makes no difference. I'm hoping someone gets a response from Goodreads soon!
danwdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:58 PM   #515
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Ok, I have just tried this again today, and now I am seeing the same issues as being reported above. There is nothing in the developer API forums about any changes, nor are any other app developers seeming to report issue with their apps there either. So I'm going to have to look into this as well - please if anyone gets any useful response from goodreads support post it back here.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:33 PM   #516
danwdoo
Groupie
danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Got an update from Goodreads!

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for reporting the issue! What you describe is a known bug that our developers are currently working to fix. We're very sorry for the inconvenience, but we'll be sure to keep you updated on our progress.
Hopefully we'll have a resolution soon!
Old 03-27-2013, 09:40 PM   #517
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks danwdoo, and yes they responded to the thread I created in their developer forums and said a fix was pushed this morning. I have tried it just now, and it seemed to work ok for me. Can those of you who were having issues try again and confirm you are also fine now. As I expected it was nothing to do with the plugin and a problem on the Goodreads side.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:41 AM   #518
rifka
Enthusiast

Still unable to authorize. This is so frustrating!
Old 03-28-2013, 12:48 PM   #519
danwdoo
Groupie

Ok,
Trying to register the plugin gives me the same behavior (it just goes to my normal page), but I noticed the plugin works now when I try it. It appears that they automatically accepted one of the earlier failed attempts, even though I never got to tell it to accept.

I see when I check the apps tab in my profile that there is an entry for "no application" which is the Goodreads Sync plugin. Even if you can't seem to "register", check as it may be actually working.

All this has reminded me how much I love this plugin and how great the support has been. I think I'll go donate =)
Old 03-28-2013, 02:54 PM   #520
rifka
Enthusiast

I notice the same thing. I didn't get the authorization page but it did authorize. I have the "no application" under apps as well. But all that matters is that it works.

All is right in the world again.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:00 PM   #521
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Yes that "no application" listed on their apps page is another Goodreads bug which I reported to them a while ago, I reminded them about it yesterday. You will see if you click on the Revoke button that it list the full plugin name.

As for not getting the authorisation page, same thing happened to me, it is because of the half done failure from their previous bug. If you revoke access on that apps tab, then try the whole process again from the plugin, you will get the authorisation page to appear. However the plugin will work without doing that extra step.

Thanks for the donation btw...
Old 03-28-2013, 10:29 PM   #522
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Kiwi,
Do you have any idea if Amazon buying GR will affect this plugin or the GR Metadata plugin?
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:22 PM   #523
danwdoo
Groupie

I Just read that Amazon is purchasing Goodreads. Not sure what that will hold for the future of things such as this plugin, but it sure makes me nervous!
Old 03-29-2013, 07:32 AM   #524
jamadams
Connoisseur
jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Touch, Sony PRS-505, 600 & Librié
I recieved a reply from Goodreads stating that they recognised this as a bug.

I still can't authorise (not even in the ways described above) but it looks like Goodreads are on to it.
jamadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:44 AM   #525
edwdecarlo
Enthusiast
edwdecarlo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX,Nexus 10,Fire HD
Slightly off topic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
Kiwi,
Do you have any idea if Amazon buying GR will affect this plugin or the GR Metadata plugin?
"Oh [expletive of your choice]"

Amazon purchased Shelfari and they started doing a two way feed between them, which filled Shelfari with all the Yard Sale Junk Table items from the Amazon Marketplace. I was a very active editor on Shelfari (reached #121), but then the effort became more filtering and combining all the Amazon junk. I got feed up, and I know a many others were in the same state of mind. This is when I jumped over to Goodreads.

I hope Amazon has learned from their mistakes and don't do the same with Goodreads as they did with Shelfari (my Shelfari editor rank is now #170, and I haven't been active on it for 2+ years).

One possible positive is that under the Amazon umbrella, they may get higher band width and processing power so some of the API restrictions may be lessened.

edwdecarlo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, goodreads