Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-30-2010, 06:45 AM   #1
Kaisentlaia
Obsessive reader
Kaisentlaia began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500
A new prs-500-like reader?

Hello everyone. Since my beloved prs-500 is giving me some signs of sickness I suppose that sooner or later it will definitely die and I'll need to buy another reader device. I've decided to start my search in advance to be ready when the moment will come...

So, basically I need to find a reader that does exactly the same things that prs-500 does (or at least the ones that I like more):
  • display well rft format
  • display well a comic-suitable format like lit (I really love Calibre conversion tools :P)
  • 6'' screen
  • at least one-week battery duration
  • collections (or something similar, like directories)
  • solid and medium-weighted
  • expandable memory
  • compatible with Calibre
  • affordable price
  • usb charge
  • available in Italy
but at the same time I really would like some other features that in my opinion are missing in this model:
  • page-turn buttons on both sides of the screen
  • a better-readable display (vizplex?)
  • some feature to search quickly a collection or a specific book (if you put a lot of books in the prs-500 then you will have to scroll down a lot of pages, ten books per page, and I find it very sluggish and annoying)
  • collections/folders avaliable for external memory too
  • some light to read in poor light conditions (I have a clip-light but it doesn't work very well, expecially considering the poor contrast of the screen) (not essential)
  • display well pdf format (not essential)
Also, there are some things that I really don't need/don't want on my next reader:
  • DRM support (I read free books found on internet, documents written by friends and all this kind of things)
  • a qwerty keyboard (on the Kindle it takes a lot of addictional space on the frame and it will not fit in my favourite bag :P)
  • WiFi ot 3G or anything of this kind. They are expensive and USB is enough connectivity in my opinion
  • touchscreen
If the prs-500 had a search tool (and a writing system based on the 0-9 buttons, maybe using them like cell phones' keyboards), collections on the SD card too and a better display I'll definitely buy another one on ebay but... well, I suppose I'll have to move on.

I was looking at Nook but now that I've read some opinions around the forum I'm not so sure it's a good idea. One of my friends owns one of them so I will try it, but he's a bit disappointed about it too so I'm not so hopeful about it.

I've seen another device that seems nice, the Viewsonic Veb620, but I can't find a good review so I'm still doubtful about it.

Maybe I'm missing other devices that will fit better my needs, so if anyone has some suggestions I'll be glad to hear about them.
Kaisentlaia is offline   Reply With Quote