Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-23-2010, 12:51 AM   #1
nimble
nimble began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 300
Making a cover with a magnet?

While I'm waiting for my first ever reader (hooray!) I want to make a cover for it, and I'm torn between using a magnet or velcro closure. Velcro would be simpler, but I like the idea of it snapping shut!

I'm assuming it's safe to use a magnet, as many different covers seem to use them, is that true?

I gather the 505 has an internal magnet so that covers only need a metal catch plate. Is that the case with the 300 too?

Thanks
nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:16 AM   #2
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hi & welcome to MR. The covers you can buy do have magnets. I have made my own cover and have magnets in them. They don't have to be that strong that they would stick to the fridge. My cover and reader are both working fine without any problems.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2010, 04:24 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katti's Cat View Post
Hi & welcome to MR. The covers you can buy do have magnets.
Are you sure? In both the 505 and the 600, the magnets are in the Reader itself; the cover just has metal plates in which "stick" to the magnets in the Reader. Does the 300 really not have magnets in the Reader?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:26 AM   #4
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Are you sure? In both the 505 and the 600, the magnets are in the Reader itself; the cover just has metal plates in which "stick" to the magnets in the Reader. Does the 300 really not have magnets in the Reader?
There is a magnet in my reader? oh my, i have doubled up. And now I am struggling NOT to take the thing apart to look for it
Old 02-23-2010, 04:29 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There is a magnet in my reader? oh my, i have doubled up. And now I am struggling NOT to take the thing apart to look for it
Sure. On the 600 the stylus is a good thing to test it with. You'll find that it'll "stick" to the top and bottom of the right side of the Reader - that's where the magnets are.
Advert
Old 02-23-2010, 04:34 AM   #6
Katti's Cat
Wizard

My stylus doesn't stick anywhere to the 600? Have I killed the magnets?
Old 02-23-2010, 09:57 AM   #7
jmaloney
Connoisseur
jmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader Touch
Quote:
My stylus doesn't stick anywhere to the 600? Have I killed the magnets?
Just put the shaft of the stylus on the upper right corner of the face of the device -- it should stick. Unless you somehow have a non-metallic stylus.
jmaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:14 AM   #8
nimble

So any hints as to where the magnets on the 300 are located? Or are you going to force me to be patient and wait til my gadget arrives?
Old 02-24-2010, 01:57 PM   #9
tnronin
Zealot
tnronin doesn't littertnronin doesn't littertnronin doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
Nimble they are on the outside corners. Get a paperclip it will show you easily where the magnets are located.
tnronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:57 PM   #10
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnronin View Post
Nimble they are on the outside corners. Get a paperclip it will show you easily where the magnets are located.
My stylus is non-metallic as well. It took a paperclip for me to find the magnets. That's a pretty clever design - I always thought the magnets were in the cover too.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:02 PM   #11
tnronin
Zealot
tnronin doesn't littertnronin doesn't littertnronin doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
I had my reader sitting on my desk on top of a video cassette, I hope the fields aren't strong enough to zap it. Oh well.
tnronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:39 PM   #12
nimble

Thanks very much tnronin. Lucky I asked, as I was intending to make a central flap like a diary, but will have to rethink that!
Old 02-24-2010, 06:40 PM   #13
Katti's Cat
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimble View Post
Thanks very much tnronin. Lucky I asked, as I was intending to make a central flap like a diary, but will have to rethink that!
I did make a cover with central flip (including magnets) - now I just got more magnetismus than i can shake the reader at. Still working fine
Old 02-25-2010, 02:41 AM   #14
nimble

Magnetismus, I like it! Does that make people really attracted to it?
Old 02-25-2010, 03:10 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnronin View Post
I had my reader sitting on my desk on top of a video cassette, I hope the fields aren't strong enough to zap it. Oh well.
If you experiment with a paperclip you'll see that the magnetic field only extends for a few mm outside the Reader. I doubt you've done the video cassette any harm.