Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-27-2009, 10:59 PM   #1
Ericc22
Ericc22 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Convert your my clippings.txt to .doc, csv, and html

Greetings,

One of my favorite features of the kindle is the ability to clip text and add annotations. I have been searching for a way to convert that file into something more usable. I posted around and found a very nice and talented person, who has created an application that does a great job of this.

So your my clippings.txt file is the input, and the output is either a well formatted .docx file, a csv file, or an html file. It is MUCH easier to use. I use the .docx option and the resulting Word table is marvelously clean.

Check it out at http://willcodejavaforfood.com/products.html . This is a free ap.

Please note I have no connection to this development and have no stake in this! The programmer - Erik - is terrific. I am just a very, very happy customer and willing to rave about this little program.

Check it out. If you have questions, post 'em here and I can point Erik to the thread so he can respond directly.

Enjoy!

Eric
Ericc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:00 AM   #2
jeanvoorjans
jeanvoorjans began at the beginning.

Device: none
converting OS X text clipping files for windows xp

I read your posting and this is just what I am trying to do - have downloaded willcodejavaforfood.com and agree it is great but HOW do I convert my files. |I have tried draggin my text clipping file to the 'my clippings' zip file but what do I do then and is this supposed to work for text clipping files from entourage

HELP
jeanvoorjans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2010, 07:17 AM   #3
Ericc22
Ericc22 began at the beginning.

I only know how the Mac version works, but I assume the Windows version is similar. On the Mac version, there is an 'export' button on the upper right of the application. Click that and pick the version you want. Works great for me.

So I just take my 'my clippings' file, put it on my desktop, open the application, select 'export' on the file, and select my output format. Works great and the developer does a great job of responding to questions. And, it is free!

Good luck with it.

Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanvoorjans View Post
I read your posting and this is just what I am trying to do - have downloaded willcodejavaforfood.com and agree it is great but HOW do I convert my files. |I have tried draggin my text clipping file to the 'my clippings' zip file but what do I do then and is this supposed to work for text clipping files from entourage

HELP
Ericc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:31 AM   #4
jeanvoorjans
jeanvoorjans began at the beginning.

Device: none
sorry it did not work

Hi Eric

Thanx but file is .txtclipping and is not from kindle. any other advise? I have willcodejavaforfood.com but th e windows did not seem to have the export bit useable.
jeanvoorjans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:17 PM   #5
jsherwood
jsherwood began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Is there a version for Kindle 3?
jsherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2011, 01:19 PM   #6
jsherwood
jsherwood began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
When I export My clippings.txt to the app, it tells me it contains no clippings, but it does??
jsherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:20 PM   #7
lizculverwell
lizculverwell began at the beginning.

Check out clippingsconverter.com

There is a much easier way to convert your kindle clippings.

Check out the website called clippingsconverter.com - it converts your kindle clippings so quickly and easily, it's awesome. And it's for free.

I'm very impressed by this website, as I am not a very techy person...and even I found it easy to use.
lizculverwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:10 AM   #8
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Very nice and easy to use.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 02:45 PM   #9
bt12
bt12 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I know this is an old thread to bump up suddenly, however it's one of the first to come up when you google for this problem so figured it's worthwhile sharing a free solution to this that I recently created.

I've been facing the problem where I couldn't find any free service that worked right, and let me process the My Clippings.txt properly to get all my quotes in a nicely formatted table or into Excel so that I can digest what were the main things I found compelling from a book. I also think that other services don't process the highlights you make on documents that you send to your Kindle too which I found a huge bummer.

Below is a link to the free tool I made which helps you convert your My Clippings!
https://kindle.brendantrinh.com/
bt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 04:20 AM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Calibre is free and does it as well as possible, but the best solution to annotation is to change to a Kobo.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 02:14 AM   #11
Vroo
Zealot
Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of Kindles, PocketBook HD3/InkpadX, inkBOOK, Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by bt12 View Post
I know this is an old thread to bump up suddenly, however it's one of the first to come up when you google for this problem so figured it's worthwhile sharing a free solution to this that I recently created.
There is a desktop tool called KMate: https://kmate.me/ where you can process and export my clippings:

-> more from the developer: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=240797
Vroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 08:49 PM   #12
robarr
robarr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2022, iPad mini 4, tab s6 lite 2022
Is this still true? I was thinking of buying a kobo sage but I keep finding threads talking about problems with the kobo annotation problems.
robarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 06:00 AM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
There is no problem with Kobo Annotation. I've 4 Kobo ereaders.
Kindle is rubbish in comparison. I've used PW2, DXG and PW3 for annotations.
Proofed 100s of books. I use the Kobo Utilities on Calibre, but you can add a menu item per book to export a text file just for that book. It has the highlighted text, chapter if exists, % through book, and note entered.

You can't sensibly use the Stylus on Sage or Elipsa for real annotation as it only has the handwriting to text in Advanced Notebooks. You use the onscreen touch keyboard to enter notes, though a BT Keyboard sort of works on any Kobo with BT (doesn't stay connected).

Kmate does nothing that Calibre Annotations does for Kindle, won't run on Linux and inferior to Kobo export or Kobo Utilities on Calibre. I tried it on Windows.

Last edited by Quoth; 11-24-2022 at 06:03 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
my clippings