Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-04-2013, 07:01 PM   #91
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
But here's a good question -- does a smaller screen need to have as much ram and processing power?
Assuming 24-bit (16.4 million colors) is average (the bit depth of the Kobo Arc), a 1280x800 screen can take up to 3,072,000 bytes - basically, 3 megabytes - for the screen info alone (obviously the system will require a bit more of that for all the stuff related to actually putting the pixels there, but that's not too dependant on the screen size). The next step down on tablets, 1024x600, would take 1.8 MB.

In short, the screen size doesn't really make that much difference, at least on modern hardware.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:23 PM   #92
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Assuming 24-bit (16.4 million colors) is average (the bit depth of the Kobo Arc), a 1280x800 screen can take up to 3,072,000 bytes - basically, 3 megabytes - for the screen info alone (obviously the system will require a bit more of that for all the stuff related to actually putting the pixels there, but that's not too dependant on the screen size). The next step down on tablets, 1024x600, would take 1.8 MB.

In short, the screen size doesn't really make that much difference, at least on modern hardware.
Well, the resolution does, if I read afv correctly. If so, since the more popular phablets have higher res screens, then that would necessitate more processing power.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #93
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Well, the resolution does, if I read afv correctly. If so, since the more popular phablets have higher res screens, then that would necessitate more processing power.

--Pat
That's correct, the higher the resolution, the more pixels you have to push to the screen, so the more processing power you need to manipulate those pixels (and also greater bandwidth). When you have too many pixels to push to the screen (because you are redrawing the same area multiple times), you may not be able to do all the processing in your allotted time (16ms for 60Hz) or you may exceed the available bandwidth and then you get lag. That's why newer devices come with faster and faster GPUs, so they can handle high res screens, up to 2560x1600 as we have on the Nexus 10.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:40 PM   #94
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I was hoping that I would see a bunch of Beatles jokes. Many thanks.

If I had to choose between carrying a phone or a phablet, I would carry a phone. If I had to choose between carrying a phone and a tablet or just a phablet, I would carry a phablet.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, I don't have to worry about carrying anything more than an old RAZR flip-phone. Thus, I might not be the best gauge for what the masses are likely to do.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:25 AM   #95
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post

If I had to choose between carrying a phone or a phablet, I would carry a phone. If I had to choose between carrying a phone and a tablet or just a phablet, I would carry a phablet.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, I don't have to worry about carrying anything more than an old RAZR flip-phone. Thus, I might not be the best gauge for what the masses are likely to do.
Samsung will be showing bendable screens this year 2-3 years down the road we will have fold able devices. Unfold a few times to get a large screen or fold to get a small screen. Although technology is going in 2 directions at the moment with google glass and other such tech where the data is sent to the eye or brain directly. Add leapmotion to that and we no longer need to touch to interact with our devices.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2013, 05:32 AM   #96
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
But people can and do make calls on 7" tablets which is why I think they include them in their category.

Even if you want to exclude 7" tablets, and just consider phablets using the narrower definition, I think the story and conclusions would be pretty much the same.

--Pat
can iPads 10 inch make calls?
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:41 AM   #97
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsooth View Post
can iPads 10 inch make calls?
Only using software like Skype. There's no "phone" as such in an iPad; the SIM card in 4G models is there solely for data.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:42 AM   #98
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
On my trip to Egypt a couple of months ago there was a lady in our group who used her iPad as a camera for the whole tour, and I thought every day how very silly it looked to take pictures that way. And it's not even as if it's a particularly good camera, either.
I saw someone doing that last June at my daughter's high school graduation, and I thought it was ... odd, ungainly, obtrusive, ... and it blocked the view for lots more people than a mere camera-sized camera would have.

Last week we finally got in to New York City to see the Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center -- there must have been a dozen people holding their full-sized Ipads up over the crowd to snap pictures.

cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:59 AM   #99
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
You're welcome! :-)

Quote:

I carry a KRZR still (though my next phone will likely be a smartphone).

I will carry my 7" tablet in a cargo pocket or jacket pocket (or slip it into my wife's purse ) when and only when I think I'll want it, but the device I want to have on me most of the time for staying in touch needs to be more compact and convenient to carry.

I'm not by any means saying my way is the only way, or that I can't see how a phablet would be the ideal single item to carry for some people. I can. But I suspect the large majority feels more like I do.

Maybe wearables like Google Glasses will become the way people carry large screens all the time....THAT might be a game changer!
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:01 AM   #100
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Maybe wearables like Google Glasses will become the way people carry large screens all the time....THAT might be a game changer!
Not for people who already wear glasses - which an awful lot of people do.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:02 AM   #101
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not for people who already wear glasses - which an awful lot of people do.
I do. Why not prescription lenses in a smart frame?
I'd think it would be MORE appealing to those who already wear glasses.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:07 AM   #102
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
I do. Why not prescription lenses in a smart frame?
I'd think it would be MORE appealing to those who already wear glasses.
Could be - I was just thinking of whether it would really be practical to wear full time. I'm very short-sighted, and hence need extremely expensive glasses made from high-refractive-index material to keep the weight down. It would be an awfully expensive proposition to buy a second pair simply for the "data feed", as it were.

"Clip-on" solutions rarely work well. As a glasses-wearer yourself, I'm sure you've experienced the problem of trying to find a practical set of clip-on sunglasses.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #103
ApK

Quote:
"Clip-on" solutions rarely work well. As a glasses-wearer yourself, I'm sure you've experienced the problem of trying to find a practical set of clip-on sunglasses.
Quite. I gave up on them long ago and now get Transition lenses. I also tend to keep a pair of prescription Wayfarer sunglasses for beach/summertime activities, but I lost them in the Atlantic surf last year.
(Hey, if a pair of black Ray Bans wash up over on your side, please send them back to me.)

I'm thinking it won't be too much longer before we have the tech needed to implement Google Glasses style devices in even the most slim and light frames.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:28 AM   #104
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Quite. I gave up on them long ago and now get Transition lenses. I also tend to keep a pair of prescription Wayfarer sunglasses for beach/summertime activities, but I lost them in the Atlantic surf last year.
If only I could do the same . Unfortunately my prescription means that I don't have access to such things. Fortunately, last year, my optician recommended a company who custom-make clip-ons to fit a specific frame size. Not cheap, but worth every penny for me. Finally I have some I can actually wear!

Quote:
I'm thinking it won't be too much longer before we have the tech needed to implement Google Glasses style devices in even the most slim and light frames.
I very much hope you're right about that!
Old 01-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #105
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I got myself some sun glasses that one can wear over regular glasses, from Amazon - they work much better for me than clip ons do.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote