Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-21-2012, 06:17 PM   #31
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
This thread reminds me that I need to go over to Baen to see what's new and pick up a few books. If it's a favorite SF/F author, I check their site first before Amazon.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #32
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Which is EXACTLY what the original article said.
No, it's not.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:07 PM   #33
rdjack21
Groupie
rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elocity A7, Nook STR, Galaxy Nexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
This thread reminds me that I need to go over to Baen to see what's new and pick up a few books. If it's a favorite SF/F author, I check their site first before Amazon.
If it is a Baen published book I always get it direct from them. If they do start selling at Amazon I will still get it from Baen. Why because I want them to get every Penney of my money because I do like what they have done and are continuing to do. Good pricing no DRM great combo!
rdjack21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:58 PM   #34
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
As a buyer, I can certainly appreciate buying direct from Baen, and have done so myself. But if I were a Baen author, I'd want them to get all the books into the Kindle and other stores, because that's where most of the sales go down. (I'm not a Baen author in the usual sense, though my E-reads titles are in the Baen store, and one self-repubbed is in the free library.) They do have a really customer-friendly store, which is to their credit, but there's no way it can compete numerically with the exposure of all the other stores. So for the sake of all the Baen authors, I hope they do expand into all of the other venues.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #35
rdjack21
Groupie
rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elocity A7, Nook STR, Galaxy Nexus
I'm not disagreeing with you Jeffery I just think that Baen will have to raise priceses to maintain there profit margen when they do start selling in other books stores. One thing they could do though is give a member discount if you purchase the book on Baen's own web site. In this way they would avoid the price matching issue of the other store fronts. I'm not against Baen raising priceses and I think they could get away with a small increase (raise base price to say $7 ) for onsite sales but they would have to increase the price to around $8 to maintian there current profit margin on the books at other sellers. But then again we don't know what they will do. For all we know they will keep the current pricing model and hope to make it up in volume.
rdjack21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:07 AM   #36
Soldim
Not so important
Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 4, iPad, Kobo Glo 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjack21 View Post
they would have to increase the price to around $8 to maintian there current profit margin on the books at other sellers
I'd think that with additional sale channels they would sell more books and could hence decrease prices while keeping the same profit margin per published book.
Soldim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:36 PM   #37
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I agree that times have changed. eBooks are no longer secondary. If you give me the eBook, you aren't going to get me to buy the hard cover. The eBook is what I want. Authors don't have concerts to make money from. They make money selling their works. Giving away the thing that makes you money....not the "sure fire" way to win.

If I had a long series, I could see giving the first book or two away. After that, I think I'd just put up the first half of a book for free. If folks like it, they buy it. If not, they should know by half way through the book.

If an author offeres me their work for free, I pretty much accept it and say thank you. I don't pirate books even though I can get them just as easily. I find that morally wrong. So giving away ebooks is not a cure to piracy IMHO. Sure, some folks will just get the book free no matter what you do.

I've thought Baen needed to rethink the Free Library for some time, and have told them so.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:26 AM   #38
Arbait
Connoisseur
Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage pocket eDGe,Pyrus mini, NOOK HD+, KAO, S6, S8, KP4, Note 10+
Respect for BAEN, but after 10 years is normal to change/move forward with the Free Library.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Books!
Arbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:31 PM   #39
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
She {Lois McMaster Bujold} won't care; it won't affect her sales in any measurable way.

In fact she noticed that the Vorkosigan eBook (Memory) that isn't on the Cryoburn CD was selling about 3 times better.

And the single volume novels are now up on the Kindle store world wide and selling steadily even though all except Memory are on that CD and also, except Memory, available from Baenebooks.com in Omnibus eBook editions.

Lots of people don'tknow they can buy from a non-ereader store.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote