Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-06-2008, 10:01 PM   #1
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
When will the Kindle be in stock?

WHo knows why the Kindle is still out of stock? Is it the screens? Or do u think they are purposely limiting the production. or do u think this out of stock situation is merely for marketing. Personally, I think it is all marketing.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:14 PM   #2
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
It's not marketing. The company that makes the screens can't keep up with the demand.

It's not about marketing - the best marketing is not to create "hype" that it can't be found, as that is not happening in any major way - the best way for the Kindle to succeed is to saturate the market as much as possible.

The "hype" thing only works with products with much more mass appeal than the Kindle. For smaller products, limited production actually hurts it as people look to other products (like the Sony Reader) instead of waiting.

But, the wait is shrinking.... I've heard that it's 2-3 weeks now. And getting them on eBay hasn't cost much more.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:31 AM   #3
kevinpars
Connoisseur
kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
For some reason, there have not been shipments for about 3 weeks. Mine was ordered by my wife on 2/13 and i have been watching the boards over at Amazon since then. I don't know why - but as I said on another post, Chinese New Year was in February and there was speculation that a week or 2 could be lost due to that event. Other speculation is what you mention - manufacture of E-ink.

But it has been 22 days and counting for me and there are people who ordered up to 10 days before me who have not received theirs yet. I considered going to Ebay and paying a little more, but then i decided to be patient and just wait.
kevinpars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:32 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinpars View Post
For some reason, there have not been shipments for about 3 weeks.
It's unquestionably the screen supply that's the issue, just as it is for the other eInk readers. These all come from the same supplier (PVI in Taiwan) whose manufacturing capacity can't currently keep up with demand.

Bookeen (who do tell people their expected shipment dates) seem to get a batch of Gen3's roughly once a month. No reason to suppose that Amazon are any different.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote