Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-05-2010, 05:17 PM   #1
lippy01
lippy01 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Removing DRM

I'm sure this has been brought up before but I had no luck with the search function.

I'm a Nook owner and wanted to read an ebook that B&N doesn't offer, but Amazon does. So I created a Kindle account, purchased the ebook and downloaded the file. I thought that I could pop it into Calibre and convert it to epub, but then I learned about DRMs.

I've found the python scripts that are out there for removing DRMs, but since I don't have a Kindle, I don't have a serial # and can't generate a PID.

I tried running the 'dedrm.py' script and using the 10 character file name, but I got an invalid PID checksum error.

Has anybody found a way to crack the DRM on this without having a Kindle? I do have an Amazon account and did purchase this book from them. I can read it on my Kindle for PC reader, but would really like to get it into epub.

Cheers,

Roger
lippy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:19 PM   #2
Cpl Punishment
Guru
Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad 103rd Gen
Your very first post was asking how we can help you commit an illegal act...Not bad...Google and search are your friends....
Cpl Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:24 PM   #3
lippy01
lippy01 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Google's brought up plenty of info on the python scripts which I mentioned, but without a Kindle serial # I'm hooped.

If you're gonna call the cops on me than go ahead, I'm just trying to figure out how to read a book that I paid for...I know that it's a bit of sticky situation, but seeing as I paid for the ebook, I don't have a moral problem with this....I'm not a pirate.
lippy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:24 PM   #4
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Not entirely clear that it is illegal.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:24 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
To be honest, it's unclear if it is an illegal act. It is fair use and there have been no know court cases yet on the fair use of DRM removal. So, until there is a legal court judgment on the removing of DRM in eBooks, it's a gray area and will remain so.

Anyway, on to helping lippy01...

You will need KindleForPC. I am not sure if the latest version will work. You will also need Python 2.6.x and maybe PyCrypto for 2.6.x. But you need the 32-bit versions. As for the script you need, I'm not sure I am allowed to tell the name. But It should be fairly easy to find with a search.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:51 PM   #6
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl Punishment View Post
Your very first post was asking how we can help you commit an illegal act...Not bad...Google and search are your friends....
because nobody else around here has ever liberated an eBook from DRM?

Sorry OP, but board rules specify that we can't help you outright on the threads. Check your PMs and there are websites with better instructions. You just need the correct script.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:52 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
but without a Kindle serial # I'm hooped.
The Kindle serial number approach doesn't work anymore, anyway (except for using it to get your PID for library books or other non-Amazon, drm-mobi-providing book stores).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:38 PM   #8
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
There are tools that work with Kindle for PC; just be more specific in your Google search.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:18 PM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy01 View Post
Has anybody found a way to crack the DRM on this without having a Kindle? I do have an Amazon account and did purchase this book from them. I can read it on my Kindle for PC reader, but would really like to get it into epub.
This forum has a policy of not giving explicit help with removing DRM from ebooks.

Having said that, Mobileread isn't the only source of ebook info on the internet. I suspect that the Dark Reverser and/or Apprentice Alf might be able to help.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:12 PM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
TYou will need KindleForPC. I am not sure if the latest version will work. You will also need Python 2.6.x and maybe PyCrypto for 2.6.x. But you need the 32-bit versions.
This is the case for the original scripts, but now there is a Calibre plug-in that does not require stand-alone Python (Calibre loads part of Python, and that is enough). Since Calibre is needed anyway for MOBI to ePub, the K4PC plug-in is now the simplest approach. Apprentice Alf's Blog is a good place to get to know about removing DRM (look for the tools_v2.1 bundle).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:17 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
This is the case for the original scripts, but now there is a Calibre plug-in that does not require stand-alone Python (Calibre loads part of Python, and that is enough). Since Calibre is needed anyway for MOBI to ePub, the K4PC plug-in is now the simplest approach. Apprentice Alf's Blog is a good place to get to know about removing DRM (look for the tools_v2.1 bundle).
I don't use the plugins as I don't use the GUI. I do my conversions via the command line. I find it a lot easier.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:34 PM   #12
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Wow people here are a ton of help. Next time I want a book instead of legally purchasing it I'll just save myself the hassle and torrent it.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:42 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Wow people here are a ton of help. Next time I want a book instead of legally purchasing it I'll just save myself the hassle and torrent it.
The problem is that we cannot give too detailed instructions as we'll get MR in trouble.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:52 PM   #14
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
There are a few *cough* a few software packages *cough* that can accomplish this ask *cough* some web search engines. Use the acronym "PDF" in the title *cough* the software.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:59 AM   #15
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Well, there's a lot written about DRM [link removed].

Last edited by HarryT; 11-06-2010 at 09:14 AM.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote