Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-13-2008, 07:02 PM   #31
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Beware of Derek the Cybook killer!
Sometimes I think *EXACTLY* the same thing! *When* the screen isn't breaking or the device isn't failing during the firmware update process, (it's happened to me twice now) I really love my Cybook with my DRM-laden ebooks. Howsomeever! Converting the tech manual PDF and CHM files to mobi is a royal, Royal, *ROYAL* pain! There is where the BeBook shines - for me. Others may have other issues.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:39 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There's no evidence, however, that the CyBook is any less durable than any other eInk device. Eg, look the "Mysteriously breaking screen" thread on the Sony Reader forum for proof than it happens just as much on other makes of machine.

eInk screens do need to be treated with a certain degree of respect, but the overwhelming majority of users don't have problems. Derek obvious exerts some sort of "malign influence" over his CyBooks .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2008, 04:07 AM   #33
a_dreamer
a_dreamer began at the beginning.

Device: none
Oh thanks I was already getting unsure of my decision
a_dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:13 AM   #34
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_dreamer View Post
Oh thanks I was already getting unsure of my decision
I had the same feeling after reading all the 'mysterious breaking screen'-threads here in the CyBook forum.

But after three months of everyday use I'm convinced now that the CyBook is well up to its task and I still enjoy the device every minute I use it....
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:44 PM   #35
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There's no evidence, however, that the CyBook is any less durable than any other eInk device. Eg, look the "Mysteriously breaking screen" thread on the Sony Reader forum for proof than it happens just as much on other makes of machine.

eInk screens do need to be treated with a certain degree of respect, but the overwhelming majority of users don't have problems. Derek obvious exerts some sort of "malign influence" over his CyBooks .
Let's see four for four Cybooks broken since September of last year - and my certain belief that the two currently-operating ones are doomed before another 8 months passes - yep, I'd agree with the "malign influence". And don't forget I'm one for one on killing my Netronix EB-100. HOWSOMEEVER! I've yet to kill the Sony PRS-500 or the BeBook. (Heh. Heh. Heh. Just wait my little pretties! )

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2008, 12:09 AM   #36
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
i love my cybook. i've read over 100 ebooks on it since i got in in june and it rocks. it's light, which is plus, the screen is easy to read, and with the cover, you can hold it almost exactly the same way you hold a paperback to read it.

btw, you don't need to bookmark the ebooks to find your place - when you open a book you're reading, it opens to where you left off.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 06:58 PM   #37
dki
Connoisseur
dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim X5; RCA 1100; Augen The Book, PRS350x2, Sony T1, Kobo AuraHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
However, there is an evidence of serious problems with Cybook's customer support. Maybe it's OK if you are in Switzerland and can drop by Paris to "talk" to Cybook's employees in person (if they are still in business), but it's not so OK for someone living in the US.

To be fair, I have heard bad things of Iliad's support, as well, but having experienced Cybook's firsthand, I think it beats anybody hands down.

The thing is, eink devices are pretty fragile, and break (screen or otherwise) easily. Take into consideration what device will be easiest to service in your area, which offers insurance (Sony does, for instance). Natively read formats, formatting in general, and all that jazz is important, but only if the device WORKS. I have loved my Cybook for about 8 months. I WOULD NEVER BUY ANOTHER AGAIN.

Dorota
dki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:28 AM   #38
a_dreamer

Thank you very much. Paris is just 6 hours away with good traffic but that's almost never the case...
Old 11-17-2008, 06:58 PM   #39
dki
Connoisseur
dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim X5; RCA 1100; Augen The Book, PRS350x2, Sony T1, Kobo AuraHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_dreamer View Post
Thank you very much. Paris is just 6 hours away with good traffic but that's almost never the case...
Then maybe you should consider a device that is easier to service... And for which a mail will work - not to FRANCE!!! Not French mail!!!

If I could drive for 6 hours (or 10, for that matter) to talk to them, I WOULD. Oh, would I!!! And a pity I can't, everybody would benefit from that first-hand knowledge (or the lack of it) on the part of the Bookeen's employees. I dream of putting my hands on their necks and squeeeeezing real hard.... Squeeezig that knowledge to the last (and, I'm sure the first, if any at all) drop.

So far - and it's almost three weeks - no word from Bookeen regarding my broken Cybook.

Be careful - be rally, really careful. Try to not buy French, unless you are in the market for another Chernobyl.

Dorota
dki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:47 PM   #40
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Well, after having the Sony 700 for a week, I just ordered the iLiad Book Edition.

I really do find the 6" screen too small - I keep flipping pages (at Medium font sizes) with a frequency which, for me at least, takes a bit out of the pleasure of reading a book.

I've never seen the iLiad in real life, but assume that the Visiplex screens on the new iLiads is of the same quality as the Sony 505.

Plus, I really felt, that for stuff like travel guides, the Search function is a must.

I am worried about the short battery-life, but will see how it works in real-life use.

Last edited by Sonist; 11-17-2008 at 07:51 PM.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:36 PM   #41
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Just got my Book Edition.

It's charging now, but at first glance: Wow! The screen looks so much more like a book than the 6" ones! The pages look kind of like the pages on a larger format paperback.

Slower than the PRS-700. Page flipping appears a tad slower, but not annoying. The screen-size more than compensates.

The screen of the iLiad is brighter and more paper-like. Like the 505, but bigger and with seemingly different texture. Crisp.

The iLiad's charging connector seems kind of flimsy - it looks like a SATA connector. A few too many bits to connect for my taste.

The UI is better than the PRS-505, but not nearly as good as that of the PRS-700, which in my limited experience is miles better than anything else available currently. (I am not big on having to pull out the proprietary stylus on the iLiad - prefer to let my fingers do the walking.)
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 11:55 AM   #42
a_dreamer

Thank you so much for that very informative post!

Tags
cybook gen3, iliad book edition, mac os x