Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-01-2008, 10:15 AM   #1
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
Which is easier on the eyes?

I have 3 ereaders: the Sony, the Iliad Rex (second version) and a Nokia N800 (using FBReader). For some reason, I find my eyes get tired quickly reading the Sony, even though I use a large font. When I use the Iliad, I don't have that problem -- using about the same size font and making pdf's with Book Designer. I think a larger screen is easier on the eyes -- even though the contrast of the Iliad is a bit less than the Sony. Of course the Iliad has some deficiencies -- short battery life, a rather tortured process to get a good pdf, awkward charging system. But for me, the ease of reading makes it superior. The Nokia, which is backlit, seems reasonably easy on the eyes, though not as good as the Iliad. I haven't seen the small screen size of the Sony/Kindle/Bebook etc. addressed as a deficiency in this forum, but for me it's a major shortcoming. I'd also note that the Iliad, with its much bigger screen, doesn't weigh much more than the Sony and is quite comfortable to read in bed (though, sadly, Irex doesn't make any kind of light for it).
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 01:05 PM   #2
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I've not had that problem with the Sony - I wonder if it's because you are using the larger font, so having to turn the page more often, and thus the page turning flicker is what's tiring your eyes?

I tend to use the smallest of the available fonts (long sighted, so it makes it easier for me!), and actually find I can read for long on the Sony than I can with a normal book.

I certainly find it a lot less tiring than reading on my N800!

All of which goes to show that there's not one device that's suitable for everyone.

And having said that, I'd've liked the Iliad for it's larger screen and other capabilities, but size and cost were both issues. The Sony, being closer to book size, is easier to carry around.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2008, 12:14 PM   #3
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Any reader with an 800x600 screen should give you trouble reading larger pdf files, which is less an issue on the higher screenresolution of the Iliad.
Most people have no complains as far as reading ebooks on their ebook reader devices.
Sure some lines get wrong intended, or maybe the last word of one line just happen to not fit on the line and written in the next line where it stands alone.

I'm more in favor of the HD standard. From 1024x720, 1366x768 to 1280x800 10 to 11" readers in my eyes can be perfect book replacements, and display most pdf's without problems.
Plastic logics is creating a device like that, which I hope they will price it reasonably.
In any case,the longer they wait, the lower their salesprice will be.
I'm expecting to buy plastic logics reader in 1,5 years for less than $350-450 (depending on the strength of the dollar).
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:34 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
I'm more in favor of the HD standard.
What is "the HD standard"? I don't believe I've come across that before!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:46 AM   #5
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What is "the HD standard"? I don't believe I've come across that before!
He probably means High Definition (720p). Full HD would be 1080p (1920x1080).
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2008, 11:28 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sorry, let me re-phrase the question. I know that "HD" stands for "high definition". What I meant what, what is the "HD Standard" as it applies to eBook reading devices?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:34 PM   #7
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Iliad,plastic logics reader...
anything larger than 720p.; doesn't matter if it exsists or not.
On a pc I spend some time trying to figure things out,and the additional 120pixels (600 to 720) seems to be enough to read most pdf's written in A4 size.

Last edited by ProDigit; 11-05-2008 at 02:25 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:09 PM   #8
ProDigit
Karmaniac

MODERATORS: Please remove this. Double post due to connection...
It's a pain I'm not able to remove this posts myself...

Last edited by ProDigit; 11-05-2008 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:12 PM   #9
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sorry, let me re-phrase the question. I know that "HD" stands for "high definition". What I meant what, what is the "HD Standard" as it applies to eBook reading devices?
I think he simply means that he wants to see an ebook reader with a resolution of 1024x720 pixels. I know I'd like to see such a reader, especially if they will keep the current size (6in), and increase the contrast. Will be much easier to read small fonts.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote