Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #46
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Despite what some would have you believe, refresh rate DOES matter on LCD screens for many people. Believe me, I can tell the difference between 60Hz and 75Hz on my LCD monitor within seconds due to the eye fatigue/strain starting to set in almost immediately at 60Hz, and the headache that invariably begins within a half-hour (if I don't take regular breaks from looking at the screen).
Sorry, didn't mean to imply that flicker on every LCD was a myth. What I meant to point out was that if the data to the LCD panel is digital (ie: most laptop screens, tablets, cellphones, HDMI and DVI-D inputs on TVs and monitors) you will not see refresh flicker, even at low refresh rates of 60Hz. Being digital, once a pixel is set to say, white (digital 255,255,255), it will stay white before, after and during a refresh cycle until it is told to change. Even watching full screen video at 30fps, in most cases not pixels change at the same time and in a big enough area to see a flicker. This is, of course, dependent on the quality of the LCD panel and controller - there were some systems way back when that were advertised as 24bit colour displays (early Toshiba Satalite series laptops in the Win95-98 days) that where really 16bit colour which dithered the colour every refresh.

If the data is analog (VGA, DVI-A, S-Video, composite, whatever) then yes, you will see a refresh flicker because due to the uncertain nature of a analog signal, almost every pixel changes slightly every cycle. For VGA, there is a difference of ~2.5mV between colour levels. In worst case scenarios (for cheap panels), the pixel is blanked by the controller before being redrawn.

Good test for displays: Take a long a camera capable of shooting video @ 30fps. If you see dark bands moving on the screen, try another display if you are susceptible to eye strain.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:18 PM   #47
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I find white on black to be very hard to read - lack of contrast, I think. Of course, my eyes aren't very good.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2012, 12:36 PM   #48
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
This topic certainly comes up plenty.

I too am an I.T. professional but my eyes can get tired by the end of the day in front of a PC.

E-ink is fantastic when reading outside (kids at the park, yard) and I prefer it everywhere else too. I read once in a while on my old Nook Color but only at night - even then I preferred my Nook with a light.

Now I have the Nook glow, and IMO that is the perfect device - works great at night, works great in the day (although the contrast isn't quite as good as the older Simple Touch due to the plastic/light layer...it's still great though).

I *can* read on LCD, but at night I find it's eyestrain inducing and (I think) the bright light tends to keep me awake longer. I prefer my Nook glow on low, low brightness.

When I get tired and my eyes get tired though I tend to get eyelid twitching (especially if I've had a lot of caffeine) which is very frustrating.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:21 PM   #49
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexutix View Post
I would like this answer from someone who owns iPad (retina) AND a E-ink device.

Does it feel comfortable on low brightness on retina iPad? Is it a dealbreaker enough for a reader who reads on long stretches?
I have an iPad 3 and eink readers. I am able to read for good stretches on the iPad. I tend not to for the most part because it is bigger and heavier than my dedicated reading devices and doesn't do as well in sunlight.

I do use it to read when I just have the iPad with me or in the dark.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:11 PM   #50
pixiestyx
Enthusiast
pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O; N7 2013; Samsung GN 10.1 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
Unfortunately, this is something you must find out for yourself. Each person is different. The fact that peanuts are fine for me will not save the guy with a severe peanut allergy.
Precisely! I understand that many people prefer e-ink, and that is fine for them, but I prefer my NookColor & Nexus 7, neither one of which "tires" my eyes. Personally I cannot stand the second or two "lag" of an e-ink device changing pages, but obviously that seems to be something that does not bother e-ink fans. My recommendation is to always go try one of each for yourself in a store!
pixiestyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2012, 11:50 PM   #51
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
I'm the same way. It's much more pleasant to read for longer periods on an e-ink screen.
+1 8-)
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:55 PM   #52
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiestyx View Post
Precisely! I understand that many people prefer e-ink, and that is fine for them, but I prefer my NookColor & Nexus 7, neither one of which "tires" my eyes. Personally I cannot stand the second or two "lag" of an e-ink device changing pages, but obviously that seems to be something that does not bother e-ink fans. My recommendation is to always go try one of each for yourself in a store!
I tried read from Nexus 7. It works OK for forums and short articles but I can't read books more than 20 minutes (I changed contract but it doesn't help). Maybe because I spend 8 hours per day with my PC and my eyes need some rest from LCD screen.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:32 PM   #53
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
I have an iPad 3 and a K3. I much prefer reading on the K3.

But I don't think it's "bad" to read on the iPad; it's just less relaxing for me.

Although if I'm just going to read for 15-30 minutes before I go to bed, I may turn out the lights and read my iPad or phone in bed on the white-on-black setting. But for long term novel reading, I prefer e-ink.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:40 PM   #54
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexutix View Post
I would like this answer from someone who owns iPad (retina) AND a E-ink device.

Does it feel comfortable on low brightness on retina iPad? Is it a dealbreaker enough for a reader who reads on long stretches?
I have an iPad3 and various e-ink devices.

Yes, the difference is huge. I can see why it would be subjective... so I guess I should only speak for myself... but there is just no comparison. I work long hours in front of a PC and, when I get home in the evening, I like to read. With tired eyes, reading on an iPad is painful. Just painful.

But it does depend on how tired I am. Early in the day, I prefer reading on e-ink, but it's not a massive difference. The more tired I get, the more it matters.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:39 PM   #55
LiveMocha
Banned
LiveMocha began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 4S, Jetbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
I have an iPad3 and various e-ink devices.

Yes, the difference is huge. I can see why it would be subjective... so I guess I should only speak for myself... but there is just no comparison. I work long hours in front of a PC and, when I get home in the evening, I like to read. With tired eyes, reading on an iPad is painful. Just painful.

But it does depend on how tired I am. Early in the day, I prefer reading on e-ink, but it's not a massive difference. The more tired I get, the more it matters.
Hi, I agree with you. Since the eye fatigue is serious issue when you use LCD screens; does anybody know any if research, which would compare e-ink & LCD screens and how they affect the eye sight?
LiveMocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #56
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
I find white on black to be very hard to read - lack of contrast, I think. Of course, my eyes aren't very good.
I CANNOT STAND white text on black background. Not even for 1 minute. I see everything in stripes immediately. I think it is actually too much contrast and I happen to be sensitive to it.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:13 PM   #57
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
I CANNOT STAND white text on black background. Not even for 1 minute. I see everything in stripes immediately. I think it is actually too much contrast and I happen to be sensitive to it.
Same here, I get the blinds effect when looking at any black background. I don't know why but it can really mess with my eyes!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #58
maxiart
The Black-Hearted
maxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the husk

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I rather read on eInk than on LCD. I do find it more comfortable overall too.
maxiart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:56 PM   #59
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveMocha View Post
Hi, I agree with you. Since the eye fatigue is serious issue when you use LCD screens; does anybody know any if research, which would compare e-ink & LCD screens and how they affect the eye sight?
I think this type of research will be helpful. I remember the article about Korean students and negative effects on their eyes after reading from tablets.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:30 PM   #60
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
When posting and reading on MR, (or twitter or other places) I find I am continually looking away from the screen. It's different than reading a chapter of a novel. Knowing how to touch type also allows me to make a post quickly, hit send, then do something else.
I've been into computers avidly ever since the teens (almost 40 now). I'm a software programmer and ever since the internet in the 90's I've also been an avid forum and blog reader. I never had any vision issues with CRT and certainly not now with much crisper LCD. I don't wear glasses.

lucky me?
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote