Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-02-2011, 03:22 PM   #46
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRocks View Post
Having said that, you, Jocampo, are ALSO incorrect in that it does NOT "add extra space when reading using samt font and size." It adds space HORIZONTALLY but removes that space vertically, so, once again, whether you see it or not, it's a zero sum game.
Yes, it adds space.

We get more words per line so it is easier to read code and poetry. The reader can put more words per line! And that's possible because you're reading in landscape mode so the height of the Kindle is now the page's width.

Vertical space does not matter, do you read from top to bottom of left to right?

Gosh ....

Last edited by jocampo; 06-02-2011 at 03:25 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:25 PM   #47
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
You guys are bickering like preschoolers. Can't we keep the thread lighthearted? *runs for cover*
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2011, 03:27 PM   #48
JohnnyRocks
Zealot
JohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-books

Device: PocketBook 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post

Yes, it adds space.

We get more words per line so it is easier to read code and poetry. The reader can put more words per line! And that's possible because you're reading in landscape mode so the height of the Kindle is now the page's width.

Vertical space does not matter, do you read from top to bottom of left to right?

Gosh ....

You clearly aren't the brightest bulb in the lot, so I am not going to continue to argue with you. Suffice it to say that, contrary to your wholehearted belief to the contrary, you are COMPLETELY incorrect.

And to answer your completely irrelevant (and borderline retarded) question, you read from left to right, then top to bottom.
JohnnyRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:31 PM   #49
DiannaInVA
Enthusiast
DiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
You guys are bickering like preschoolers. Can't we keep the thread lighthearted? *runs for cover*
It might be better to just close this thread and start over. Every time I see this thread updated I think there is someone posting about the new nook...*sigh*
DiannaInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:32 PM   #50
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You clearly aren't the brightest bulb in the lot, so I am not going to continue to argue with you. Suffice it to say that, contrary to your wholehearted belief to the contrary, you are COMPLETELY incorrect.

And to answer your completely irrelevant (and borderline retarded) question, you read from left to right, then top to bottom.
You know what? ... :-) ...

I will take a picture of my Kindle 3. Not to justify myself because I know I'm right. But because I feel bad for others that will read your statement and keep repeating the same mistake. Then you will count the words per line and let me know...
Advert
Old 06-02-2011, 03:34 PM   #51
JohnnyRocks
Zealot
JohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-books

Are you retarded? Words per line isn't the issue, you imbecile. It's words per page. Obviously there are more words per line in landscape, but, there are FEWER LINES. You are truly the dumbest person I've ever come across. Did you even graduate high school?

You realize that 10x5 is the same as 5x10 right? In other words, the USABLE SPACE on an ereader doesn't change with the orientation. The words per line might move up or down, but so do the total number of lines, in reverse proportion.

My goodness, man, move on. Even if I'm coming across as aggressive (especially with THIS particular post), you are coming across as a complete moron.

Last edited by JohnnyRocks; 06-02-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:34 PM   #52
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
Quote:
LOL, yeah just stroll in and make your way to the NOOKcolor display unit. Then nonchalantly look around for the Touch.
LOLOLOL
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:36 PM   #53
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
Quote:
Are you retarded? Words per line isn't the issue, you imbecile. It's words per page. Obviously there are more words per line in landscape, but, there are FEWER LINES. You are truly the dumbest person I've ever come across. Did you even graduate high school?
You should be banned
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:36 PM   #54
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Insulting people won't give you the reason, of make you more educated.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:37 PM   #55
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
This isn't justified. Not nice at all. Don't insult people with name calling. It's cruel. I'm offended.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:38 PM   #56
JohnnyRocks
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Insulting people won't give you the reason, of make you more educated.
Maybe not, but, I am fairly certain that my level of education (or at the very least intelligence) is significantly higher than yours. Even if my level of tact is not. Rest assured, however, you are incorrect in your assertions as to page size.

I would like to apologize to the others who have been viewing this thread for this outburst, as it became more and more frustrating arguing this point with someone who clearly didn't "get it."

I'd also like to apologize to you for the name calling, even if you are completely incorrect.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:44 PM   #57
JohnnyRocks
Zealot

Let me try one last time to explain the point to JoCampo.

If in portrait mode, you can only get 10 words to a line, but are getting 10 lines to a page, that is 100 words per page. Get it? Follow me?

Once in landscape mode, you might get 20 words to a line, but will likely only get 5 lines to a page, which, once again, is going to equal 100 words per page.

So, as you can see, landscape doesn't equal "more words to a page." It certainly equals "more words to a line." But, it also equals "fewer lines in a page."
Old 06-02-2011, 03:52 PM   #58
jocampo
Layback feline

@JohnnyRocks

Take a look on the attached pictures. Like I explained on my previous post, Kindle on landscape allows you more words per line, which you were challenging. And yes, that's important because you read lines and from left to right, unless you're reading a foreign language like Japanese. On a more complex code, it is much worse.

I will also let others judge and take their own conlusions. You have lost the privilege of debating with me. Besides being wrong, and not accepting it, and won't waste my time talking to such a rude person.

Learn how to disagree with arguments, not insulting forum members.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	landscape.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	909.1 KB
ID:	72224   Click image for larger version

Name:	portrait.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	850.4 KB
ID:	72225  
Old 06-02-2011, 03:53 PM   #59
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Just called my store. Display units won't be out until tomorrow. SLACKERS!!!
went up to the Barnes and Noble Emerson College bookstore and they don't even sell nooks

Wow what a wasted golden opprotunity. Hmmm Parents and grandparenents up visiting wanting to buy their young college child something, visit's bookstore, see's nook's .

Even the cashier was shocked they don't sell them

Oh well will have to wait untill tomorrow night, my wife and I haven't had a BN night in a while
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:55 PM   #60
Rocketime
Zealot
Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle/Nook Color/NST/Acer Iconica
So Scion, I'm disappointed you don't have access to the new Simple Touch Reader. I am interested in the reader as a outdoor reader to go along with my NC. I love the NC but with summer approaching, I'm looking for a reader to take to the pool.

Please give us your thoughts as soon as you get your hands on one.
Rocketime is offline   Reply With Quote