Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-22-2009, 08:51 PM   #1
shrikebx
King of the Vagabonds
shrikebx began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300 (Blue)
Is LRF (BBeB) better than EPUB for 300?

I looked at this site's wiki for the PRS 300 and its says you can read 7,500 (BBeB Books) vs 6,800 (EPUB) on a single battery charge.

I'm currently converting allot of .lit and .htm ebooks through calibre and wondering if there any cons/plus to using each of these formats? Is it worth less battery life to use epub?

[Note: I don't have the 300 yet but I'm getting it this friday]
shrikebx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:08 PM   #2
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
In my experience, LRF has a bigger font size, so that would mean more page turns. I also find that the LRF font seems to be darker than the epub (maybe also because font size seems bigger?).

Epub also only has left justification, so if that's an issue for you, you should go LRF. I've been reading that epub is going to be the standard for ebook formats though.

I'm still on the fence myself as to which format I prefer

Last edited by xtine; 11-23-2009 at 02:25 AM.
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:33 PM   #3
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
LRF books look better on the Sony than ePub in my opinion. But try the format that looks best for you and go with it. Do not worry about battery life. I do not think that you would notice the difference between the two formats.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:48 AM   #4
Loose_Appeal
Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiish?
Loose_Appeal doesn't litterLoose_Appeal doesn't litter

Device: Current: PRS-650, Previous: Books
Why can't Sony just update the Adobe software so ePub is fully justified. Anyone tried emailing them?
Loose_Appeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:49 AM   #5
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose_Appeal View Post
Why can't Sony just update the Adobe software so ePub is fully justified. Anyone tried emailing them?
I'd prefer a choice. I don't like fully justified, and it's one of the things I miss with my PRS600 (using the customizer to turn that off on LRFs).
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:46 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose_Appeal View Post
They actually have updated it in the Sony eBook Library software - if you open an ePub book in eBL you'll see that it's fully justified.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:43 PM   #7
shrikebx
King of the Vagabonds
shrikebx began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300 (Blue)
thanks for the info but after converting 30 ebooks to lrf and editing the meta data, I moved them all to one folder and found that all the metadata I inputed is gone. Is this a glitch with calibre?
shrikebx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:51 PM   #8
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
I prefer LRF still because last time I checked epub still has the page number on the side margin of my screen which I find even more annoying than no text justification.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:49 PM   #9
Loose_Appeal
Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiish?
Loose_Appeal doesn't litterLoose_Appeal doesn't litter

Device: Current: PRS-650, Previous: Books
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They actually have updated it in the Sony eBook Library software - if you open an ePub book in eBL you'll see that it's fully justified.
Not on the reader though.
Loose_Appeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:25 AM   #10
Ruka
I dream in turn-based.
Ruka has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ruka has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ruka has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-300
I prefer ePub quite a bit myself. Fully justified text on the 300 means you sometimes get sentences with 3 words, and big gaps in-between them. (Even at the smallest font size.) It's very jarring to read fully justified text on the 5" screen.

I may feel differently when using a larger screen.

Also, if you upgrade to a new reader in the future, even if it's Sony, it may not support LRF, and you may have to convert them all anyways.
Ruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:56 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I prefer ePub because I can easily specify the font families that I want to use and have it look how I want. I find that Fontin looks a lot nicer then Dutch Roman. Plus, I get true bold, true italics and I can even get true small caps too.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:04 PM   #12
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I prefer ePub because I can easily specify the font families that I want to use and have it look how I want. I find that Fontin looks a lot nicer then Dutch Roman. Plus, I get true bold, true italics and I can even get true small caps too.
I keep meaning to try this, Jon. I make my books for not just my reader, though, and have been worried about making a book that crashes my friend's reader!

I guess I could try the bit of copying the fonts onto the PRS600, make a book or two using the new fonts, then copy those books to my backup (505) and see how it reacts.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote