Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 07-06-2008, 05:03 AM   #1
Fake51
Enthusiast
Fake51 began at the beginning.

Device: LBook V3
Hanlin V3 UK reseller

For those that might be interested, just a heads-up:

http://www.e-readers.co.uk/ is listed on the mobileread wiki and elsewhere as resellers of the Hanlin V3. While they probably do sell the Hanlin V3, they also sell the LBook V3 ... as a Hanlin. Bought mine through amazon.co.uk where it is clearly listed as Hanlin and didn't take much notice till later on (the LBook name showing on the device should have put me on to this but I was too busy loving the device).

Seeing as the hardware is the same and you can switch between firmwares as you please this doesn't matter much. I would just prefer a reseller to clearly state which product is being sold instead of advertising one thing and then shipping an almost - but not quite - identical thing.

Regards
Fake
Fake51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:41 AM   #2
peterbbb
BoyReader
peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Gen3 and now Kindle 3
fake

May I ask why you went for the Hanlin (or its clone) rather than one of the other ebook readers?

Peter
peterbbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:18 AM   #3
Fake51
Enthusiast

Sure. I was looking at the e-reader matrix on the wiki (https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix) and the most important factors to me were (not necessarily in order): price, range of accepted formats, battery life and OS.
- I didn't want to spend lots of money on a product I wasn't sure I would really use much.
- I didn't want to buy a product with lock-in
- I also didn't want a product that would die after 10 pages
- And I didn't feel the need to support the MS lockdown

The Hanlin/LBook fits my list of requirements quite well, but looking at things now the Cybook would probably have been as good a choice. The fact that I could buy the V3 through Amazon marketplace probably helped as well: I didn't feel too happy about the prospect of transferring money to China only to have the product get stuck in customs.

Regards
Fake
Old 07-06-2008, 09:55 AM   #4
peterbbb
BoyReader
peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Yes, Price is the plus for the Hanlin.

I think for me I will go for the Cybook as it is available for a good price from NAEB.

I am waiting for them to tell me the postage costs but I can't see that addition making the cost above that of the e-readers price of £253 including postage.

The issue is the time it will take NAEB to get their next order together.

Does anyone know how much NAEB charge for postage from US to the UK?
Old 07-06-2008, 12:03 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Don't forget that, if you buy from NAEB, you'll have to pay VAT and (possibly) customs duty too when it arrives in the UK.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 12:09 PM   #6
peterbbb
BoyReader

Oooooh...

17.5% for VAT. That makes a total of £222. Add, say, £20 for postage. £242.

How much for customs????

Looks like the e-readers price of £253 is not bad.

Peter

Last edited by peterbbb; 07-06-2008 at 12:12 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:44 AM   #7
iterati
Zealot
iterati doesn't litteriterati doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V3, RCA REB1100, iPaq 214
Why choose Hanlin (and rebranded devices) over other e-ink reader...
1. It has full hierachical folder structure support.
2. It uses a regular Nokia battery (BL-4C/BL-5C); Easy to find a replacement.
3. Long battery life, more than two weeks if I keep it open during the day hours and read several pages per day. I read that other readers last 40-50 hours open without turning pages, that seems short to me and indicates poor power management at least.
4. Support for PDF, TXT, RTF, WOLF, DOC, CHM, FB2, HTML, DJVU, MP3, TIFF, JPG, GIF, BMP, PNG, RAR, ZIP.... more coming. Personally, I convert most to FB2, by the way. There are rumours that it'd support MOBI soon.
5. It's open, unlike the Sony readers or Kindle.
6. Most important: regular software updates and very active community.

For EU citizens, there is the possibility to get the lbook v3 reader from http://iscriptum.eu/ (300 euros about with shipment ~ £240), you don't have to worry about customs. It comes with leather cover, 1GiB SD card, SD card USB reader etc
iterati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:53 AM   #8
Fake51
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbbb View Post
I am waiting for them to tell me the postage costs but I can't see that addition making the cost above that of the e-readers price of £253 including postage.
Buy the LBOOK over amazon and you're looking at 243, not 253. Not a huge difference, but personally I could find a good use for £10.

Edit: Iterati's point about battery is very good and one that I forgot. Once you've purchased an ipod, had the battery life go down, and then find out that the attitude of the producer is "we don't care, buy a new one" you really appreciate being able to change a battery easily. Same goes for an e-reader: I do NOT want to be reliant upon some company for something this basic.

Regards
Fake

Last edited by Fake51; 07-07-2008 at 07:56 AM.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:16 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If a good port of Mobipocket does become available for the Hanlin V3, then I do think it could be better then the Gen3 given that it does have folder support and a longer list of supported formats.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:29 PM   #10
iterati
Zealot
iterati doesn't litteriterati doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V3, RCA REB1100, iPaq 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If a good port of Mobipocket does become available for the Hanlin V3, then I do think it could be better then the Gen3 given that it does have folder support and a longer list of supported formats.
The latest official firmware for lbook (http://lbook.ua/ru/download/lBook%20V3) supports mobi. There is the FBreader as well that supports mobi too. Anyway, why stick with a proprietary format instead of the open XML-based FB2 for example?
iterati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:43 PM   #11
iiee
iiee began at the beginning.

Device: ex-hanlin v3 owner, Sony PRS600
To anyone worried

I just want to bump this thread to let any uk buyers thinking about buying from ereaders.co.uk that they are a good company. I bought my hanlin from them and it arrived quickly and in good order. They are the Lbook version which i think ship from the Ukraine but it it was fine and came with a 1gb memory card and a cover. Better still when it broke last month i just had to send it back and they gave me a replacement no questions asked.
iiee is offline   Reply With Quote