Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #121
muness
muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Aura HD, Story HD, Sony PRS-350 (previous: Kindle Keyboard, PRS-505)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen33 View Post
Hey, guys new Kobo Aura HD owner and found this thread. I am trying to install the patch but the instructions are not very clear. Do you drop the unzipped file anywhere on your Kobo? (unzip and place the libnickel file somewhere?)

Better yet can anyone just break-it-down step by step in plain English instead of auto-translated from Russian?

I would very much appreciate it. (and please excuse my lack of understanding! )

Thanks!
  1. Download the zip file
  2. Expand the zip file
  3. Copy the contents of relevant subdir (2.6.1 or 2.8.1 based on which version you're running) to the directory that contains kpg.exe
  4. Edit the kpg.conf file as you see fit (i.e. adjust patch_enable and/or comment or uncomment the blocks you want)
  5. Run the kpg.exe. It will generate a KoboRoot.tgz.
  6. Mount the Kobo, copy the generated KoboRoot.tgz by the .exe to the .kobo directory, unmount the kobo and let it reboot.
  7. Profit!
muness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #122
Fallen33
Fallen33 has become one with the cosmosFallen33 has become one with the cosmosFallen33 has become one with the cosmosFallen33 has become one with the cosmosFallen33 has become one with the cosmosFallen33 has become one with the cosmosFallen33 has become one with the cosmosFallen33 has become one with the cosmosFallen33 has become one with the cosmosFallen33 has become one with the cosmosFallen33 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Thanks!

So I'm getting everything working so far except for my custom footer settings. (Can you make the header smaller? I use KEPUBS)

At first I had no footer at all.

Then I commented out the disable footer section; like mentioned here

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=102

I think I have edited the correct sections for my Aura for 60/60/10 footer settings but I'm getting no change on my reader. (no syntax error when running the .exe) What am I doing wrong?

There are 4 references to [deviceCodeName="dragon"] (for Aura HD) and settings afterwards in the conf file, which one do you I edit?

Basically I want a smaller footer with the page numbers and chapter and also a smaller header with the book name.

Last edited by Fallen33; 09-07-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Fallen33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2013, 02:17 PM   #123
Fallen33
Fallen33 has become one with the cosmosFallen33 has become one with the cosmosFallen33 has become one with the cosmosFallen33 has become one with the cosmosFallen33 has become one with the cosmosFallen33 has become one with the cosmosFallen33 has become one with the cosmosFallen33 has become one with the cosmosFallen33 has become one with the cosmosFallen33 has become one with the cosmosFallen33 has become one with the cosmos

Ok so after toying with this all morning I'm near giving up.

The first two dragon references make no changes at all, even with off the wall settings. 200/200/50. Oh and my chapter title will eventually disappear too.

The last two dragon references give me a syntax error when edited.

I even sideloaded a plain Epub and same thing, Epub vs Kepub makes no difference.

Does version 6 of the patch work better? Who has actually gotten their footers working on an Aura HD w/ Kepubs with version 7?

Last edited by Fallen33; 09-07-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #124
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Can you maybe share the conf file you have been using?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:15 PM   #125
Fallen33

Don't worry about it, I got it to work on Version 6 just fine. Can you edit the size of the header with version 7?
Advert
Old 09-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #126
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Don't worry about it, I got it to work on Version 6 just fine. Can you edit the size of the header with version 7?
Nothing should prevent you from combinng entries from multiple cont files. Just remember to use the right syntax and I would recommend sticking to the 07 patcher executable.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #127
Fallen33

Thanks. I might mish mash the entries from 7 and 6 to make it work with the 7 executable.

What specific setting on version 7 edits the header in Kepubs?

Last edited by Fallen33; 09-07-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:23 AM   #128
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Ok so after toying with this all morning I'm near giving up.

The first two dragon references make no changes at all, even with off the wall settings. 200/200/50. Oh and my chapter title will eventually disappear too.

The last two dragon references give me a syntax error when edited.
For version 7, you would want to comment out the first set of values which remove the footer by placing a # before the replace zlib = and uncomment the decrease footer example by removing the # in from the the replace zlib = (I've marked those in blue).

After you do this, the only values to modify are the values in the last segment marked in olive where the default footer values are set to height: 30px; and font-size: 25px;. This small section replaces the previous model specific coding.

As usual for easy reading, I've replaced the \n's with end of lines and the \t's with tab characters.

Code:
patch_name = `Custom reading footer style`
patch_enable = `yes`
# Disable footer example
# replace_zlib = 1205FF4, `ReadingFooter {
	min-height: 70px;
	max-height: 70px;
	qproperty-footerMargin: 40;
}
ReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="kraken"], 
ReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="phoenix"] {
	min-height: 82px;
	max-height: 82px;
	qproperty-footerMargin: 110;
}
ReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="dragon"] {
	min-height: 120px;
	max-height: 120px;
	qproperty-footerMargin: 20;
}
* {
	font-size: 16px;
}
[deviceCodeName="kraken"], 
[deviceCodeName="phoenix"] {
	font-size: 20px;
}
[deviceCodeName="dragon"] {
	font-size: 26px;
}
[localeName="ja_JP"] {
	font-family: A-OTF Gothic MB101 Pr6N;
}`,
 `* {
	height: 5px;
	font-size: 1px;
	color: transparent;
}
`
# Decrease footer example
replace_zlib = 1205FF4, `ReadingFooter {
	min-height: 70px;
	max-height: 70px;
	qproperty-footerMargin: 40;
}
ReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="kraken"], 
ReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="phoenix"] {
	min-height: 82px;
	max-height: 82px;
	qproperty-footerMargin: 110;
}
ReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="dragon"] {
	min-height: 120px;
	max-height: 120px;
	qproperty-footerMargin: 20;
}
* {
	font-size: 16px;
}
[deviceCodeName="kraken"], 
[deviceCodeName="phoenix"] {
	font-size: 20px;
}
[deviceCodeName="dragon"] {
	font-size: 26px;
}
[localeName="ja_JP"] {
	font-family: A-OTF Gothic MB101 Pr6N;
}`, 
`* {
	height: 30px;
	font-size: 25px;
}
`
Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 09-08-2013 at 12:25 AM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:26 AM   #129
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Thanks. I might mish mash the entries from 7 and 6 to make it work with the 7 executable.

What specific setting on version 7 edits the header in Kepubs?
There is no specific setting that edits the header in kepubs.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:23 AM   #130
INCSlayer
INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 2(626)
i skimmed through the thread but i didnt see anything about this
when i use the patcher (only tried version 7) and any settings if i start to read a new book everything works fine but if i exit the book and then reopen it it just renders a blank page with " - page " at the bottom and no text the device doesnt seem to hang since if i connect a usb cable i can connect to the computer without problems and if i delete the book and start over it works again anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: solved my problem sorta the problem was the books in the series i was testing with important lesson learned do no use books from the same source when trying to check if its something wrong :/ i checked with other books and the problem wasnt there

Last edited by INCSlayer; 09-09-2013 at 03:39 AM.
INCSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #131
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
I've been reading this thread with interest as I am buying the new Aura. My problem is that I have a Mac and no easy access to a PC. Is there any hope of being able to run the patch on a Mac?
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #132
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

I'm not sure anyone here could answer that. The problem is that the original creator resides on a Russian eBook forum, and all we post here is translations to English, and links to the original.

I *think* someone in this thread had mentioned trying to re-implement the patcher in Python; if that happens it would be usable on a Mac; otherwise you're SOL.

One option might be to ask a kind soul here to generate a patch for you with the settings that you like in it.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #133
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2012 View Post
I've been reading this thread with interest as I am buying the new Aura. My problem is that I have a Mac and no easy access to a PC. Is there any hope of being able to run the patch on a Mac?
The patcher is a windows EXE that creates a file Koboroot.tgz which you then copy to your Kobo. If you have Parallels on your Mac, or wine, or a windows image in a VM like VirtualBox, you should be able to get it working.
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:31 PM   #134
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by ectoplasm View Post
The patcher is a windows EXE that creates a file Koboroot.tgz which you then copy to your Kobo. If you have Parallels on your Mac, or wine, or a windows image in a VM like VirtualBox, you should be able to get it working.
I have the patcher working sucessfully through Crossover 12.2 on my Mac.

EDIT: In that it works as well to what you mentioned. Not trying to be antagonistic or anything like that! :-)

Last edited by buffaloseven; 09-13-2013 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Don't want to sound like a jerk.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:59 PM   #135
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2012 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloseven View Post
I have the patcher working successfully through Crossover 12.2 on my Mac.
Crossover runs the exe file perfectly, Lyn -- a Mac user doesn't even need to boot into their Windows partition (if they've installed one).

However, in order to drop the tgz file into the .kobo folder, you have to be able to see the folder itself. To do that, open Terminal and paste the following command (assuming you're running Mountain Lion):

Quote:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE && killall Finder
That command will render all so-called invisible files visible. To make them invisible again (if you actually prefer not seeing certain files), paste the same command into Terminal, only with the word TRUE changed to FALSE.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 09-14-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote