Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-09-2010, 12:37 AM   #1
Daemon
Daemon began at the beginning.

Device: none
RTF into Sigil - need RTF->HTML converter

I have a number of RTF files I want to merge into an epub. I was rather surprised to discover that Sigil doesn't support RTF, and that the recommendation is to convert to HTML. The problem is that I don't have any way of doing this - Open Office, Wordpad, etc. don't provide the option to save to HTML.

The documents mostly use basic formatting (bold, etc) and number of fairly simple tables (so far, I've seen no nested tables, merged cells or the like).

I'm running Win7.

Suggestions?
Daemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:42 AM   #2
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Open Office, Wordpad, etc. don't provide the option to save to HTML.
Suggestions?
Actually, OpenOffice does provide the option to save an RTF to HTML, and with the writer2epub extension it even saves directly to EPUB. You can also get pretty good HTML output from Calibre debug. With either of those options you will still need to do some work to get a good EPUB with Sigil, but that is what Sigil is for.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2010, 06:12 AM   #3
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
There's a very good RTF word-processor called Atlantis, which can output epub's.
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:27 PM   #4
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Calibre converts rtf to epub as well.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:03 PM   #5
Ahmad Samir
Zealot
Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

I can vouch for openoffice.org (I've just used it yesterday).
Ahmad Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2010, 11:21 PM   #6
Daemon
Daemon began at the beginning.

After a reinstall, the HTML option on OO came back. No idea what happened there. Converting them manually is thus possible, but very time consuming.

Calibre would be great if I wanted each RTF to be a separate EPUB... unfortunately, I'm combining them into a single book.

Still, thanks for the suggestions.
Daemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:38 AM   #7
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
After a reinstall, the HTML option on OO came back. No idea what happened there. Converting them manually is thus possible, but very time consuming.

Calibre would be great if I wanted each RTF to be a separate EPUB... unfortunately, I'm combining them into a single book.

Still, thanks for the suggestions.
I'm not sure I understand why you can't combine the separate rtf's in OOo and then export them as a single book. As mentioned above, if you're using OOo, the export filters writer2epub and/or writer2xhtml are your friends
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:22 PM   #8
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
You can still use calibre to bulk-convert them to epub. Then extract the .xhtml files from each epub, rename them to .html (not sure if renaming them is required), and zip them together with either an edited content.opf referencing each file or a simple table of contents file with a href reference to each file. Then re-convert from zip to epub.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:56 PM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
What's the Problem Here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_albert View Post
I'm not sure I understand why you can't combine the separate rtf's in OOo and then export them as a single book. As mentioned above, if you're using OOo, the export filters writer2epub and/or writer2xhtml are your friends
Really--I don't understand what the problem is, here, either. You can:
  • Put the RTF's into OO in whatever sequence you want;
  • save it as one big file;
  • Output it to html.
  • KaBlammo.
  • If that doesn't work:
  • Try it with Atlantis.
  • OR,
  • Merge them all in OO,
  • Save as one RTF file, and then
  • Convert through Calibre.

I mean--really, this shouldn't be such a big problem. Can you better explain why you're having such an issue? We're obviously missing the sticking point.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote